Queueing etiquette

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Anglian

Re: Queueing etiquette

Post by Anglian »

Ayesha wrote:On countless occasions this last week commuting I've ridden past a moving vehicle on its left side. If I didn't, I wouldn't get anywhere. I'd be stuck behind a line of cars doing less than 10 mph.
The traffic round Birmingham tends to be closer to the centre line than the curb. Going round on the right is difficult, nay impossible.
Its when they stop I am careful. Doors swing open.

If I follow John Franklin's rules, I may as well go to work in my car. It would be quicker. As it is, my bike's quicker.

Raw speed is not everything, of course.

Filtering on the right (the way motorcyclists do) is not in general as difficult as you seem to suggest. There are usually gaps between cars when stationary, and if they're moving at the 10mph you mention, then those gaps will be much longer.

John Franklin's guidelines generally contribute to a more pleasant, safer, more flowing ride at a good speed.

Warmest regards,
Anglian.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I can't think of any carriageway I use where it would be safe to overtake without altering course/position.

Failure to deviate is generally dangerous. There are some roads when you don't need to occupy the other lane, but they are few and far between.

My definition of secondary is centred on the left hand tyre track of our motorised friends...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I can't think of any carriageway I use where it would be safe to overtake without altering course/position.

Failure to deviate is generally dangerous. There are some roads when you don't need to occupy the other lane, but they are few and far between.

My definition of secondary is centred on the left hand tyre track of our motorised friends...

You are allowed to deviate, it is that you should not make another road user have to brake or deviate because of your action (in this case filtering) though minor adjustments on their part are accepted which is natural when in traffic in any case.
Learners are told this at an early stage (or should be) this means you have to think about speed/distance and use your spacial judgements regarding how you will move along with others in any given situation.
So here if you were filtering along on the offside and cars might have to deviate by a few cm to allow you to do that that is fine and acceptable, however if you do the same and a car has to brake other than a minor dab or has to deviate (that it looks like a swerve) then that isn't.
There's far too many road users who just don't get this aspect of being on the road & will bully ther way along with scant regard to others, this often results in road rage and or an incedent.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Was in response to

Also lots of cyclists who stay to the left ( secondary ) because riding in Primary when its not necessary is causing another vehicle to alter its speed and/or course along the carriageway.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.