CYCLISTS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM...CYCLING!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Velocio

CYCLISTS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM...CYCLING!!!

Post by Velocio »

Did anyone else read Graeme Jefferson's comments in the Letters page of last Tuesday's Portsmouth News (May 1 2012, pages 6 & 7, in a letter entitled 'Cyclists peril') following the injury to a cyclist by a bus on the new BRT route in Gosport?

He wrote... 'While I have every sympathy for the injured cyclist and pray for a full recovery, surely it is time for this outmoded form of transport to be banned completely from public areas.'

Oh well ...there goes the next 40 years of trying to remain fit ...healthy ...and environmentally friendly...!!!

:)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
RickH

Re: CYCLISTS SHOULD BE BANNED FROM...CYCLING!!!

Post by RickH »

Velocio wrote:...surely it is time for this outmoded form of transport to be banned completely from public areas.'

Or was he referring to the bus? 8)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

So wrong it's not even wrong.

I notice that pedestrians are injured and killed in Portsmouth. Perhaps the letter-writer also wants to ban walking in public areas.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is the Portsmouth News - what did you really expect?

We have spent nearly ten years trying to get them to recognise thet this "disused railway corridor is a superb shared use facility a safe route to three schools, and polular with local residents and dog walkers
downfader

Post by downfader »

Velocio wrote:Did anyone else read Graeme Jefferson's comments in the Letters page of last Tuesday's Portsmouth News (May 1 2012, pages 6 & 7, in a letter entitled 'Cyclists peril') following the injury to a cyclist by a bus on the new BRT route in Gosport?

He wrote... 'While I have every sympathy for the injured cyclist and pray for a full recovery, surely it is time for this outmoded form of transport to be banned completely from public areas.'

Oh well ...there goes the next 40 years of trying to remain fit ...healthy ...and environmentally friendly...!!!

:)

Have you got a scan with the date and time. I might send a humoured reply..? :wink:
(cant find it on website)
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...here is the offending piece
Attachments
Cycle Story 1.jpg
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...should you wish to reply
Attachments
Cycle Story 21.jpg
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...here is a good reply ...that was given feature letter prominence ...in Saturday's letters pages
Attachments
Cycle Story 3.jpg
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

I've always been proud of being a native Portmuthian, although I've not been back for a couple of decades. I'm old enough to remember the scene at Dockyard gates in the 1950s and 60s when the siren sounded for the end of the day's shift. Virtually the entire workforce of 15,000 commuted by bike, and you can imagine the size of the peloton surging through the streets and spreading out through the entire city. All other traffic was overwhelmed and simply had to wait its turn. I don't know if any clips of this scene survive on video, but it would be nice to send a copy to Mr Jefferson if they do. Might spoil his day.
downfader

Post by downfader »

Velocio wrote:...here is a good reply ...that was given feature letter prominence ...in Saturday's letters pages

That is a wonderful reply and I shall attempt to formulate one myself a little later in the day. I've already sent one over this shocking story:
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/transp ... H8.twitter
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

downfader wrote: I've already sent one over this shocking story:

"‘Eight cars in all were damaged. No arrests were made, it’s being treated as a genuine accident.’"

Laughable.

Nobody hits 8 cars in a "genuine accident" - particularly in what looks to be a 30 limit, they're either going too fast or are so incompetent they shouldn't be driving.
karlt

Post by karlt »

kwackers wrote:

"‘Eight cars in all were damaged. No arrests were made, it’s being treated as a genuine accident.’"

Laughable.

Nobody hits 8 cars in a "genuine accident" - particularly in what looks to be a 30 limit, they're either going too fast or are so incompetent they shouldn't be driving.

Yes, but to get a conviction you've actually got to show what happened, not "must have been one of these", and which offence that represents.

I shouldn't worry much. I doubt this driver will be able to afford to insure a car for some time, so that's one off the road. OK, they might drive anyway, but you can say that about a driving ban as well.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

kwackers wrote:

Laughable.

Well, Ive seen a car rolled and 4 parked cars damaged (would have been more if they had been there) close enough to lights that she can't have been doing more than 20ish.
why - a wasp flew in the window and down her top...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Accidents are usually mistakes. Accidents are never genuine accidents! Yes, laughable! :lol:

Wasp? Why didn't she stop, rather than keep going?
Mick F. Cornwall
downfader

Post by downfader »

Mick F wrote:Accidents are usually mistakes. Accidents are never genuine accidents! Yes, laughable! :lol:

Wasp? Why didn't she stop, rather than keep going?

Exactly. I used to sit, as a boy, in the back of the car when my Mother took her driving lessons "middle pedal" springs to mind.