Why personal accident insurance might be worth having

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
snibgo

Re: Why personal accident insurance might be worth having

Post by snibgo »

Grandad wrote:I suspect that this does not include accidents happening at work? For example a scaffolder faces a bigger risk than a desk bound clerk and would pay a higher premium. When Aviva was Commercial Union there was a scale of occupations along the same lines as the Groups used for cars.

The cover policy doesn't mention jobs, aside from serving on active duty in Armed Services.

As this policy doesn't exclude scaffolders, other policies that do might be cheaper.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One benefit which might be claimed by somebody losing a limb in an accident would be Disability Living Allowance. This is going to be scaled back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18054734
Anglian

Post by Anglian »

Edwards wrote:I had never given this a thought before but now am wondering about it. Does the CTC insurance and other club cover personal injury, even if another party is not involved?
I am now wondering where you would get cover for personal injury for cycling and the cost?

Hi Keith,

Actually, I do (now). I posted about it while ago on here, (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=56066), but no-one seemed terribly interested.

I guess I'm just trying to ensure (groan!) that folk have thought about these potential liabilties (namely, the ones where no-one else is going to pay up for our serious misfortune). It's quite true that life insurance is of no use, that CTC 3rd party insurance is irrelevant, and the "bundled" accident policies on travel insurance, credit cards, premium bank accounts, or household insurance are unsuitably low-value.

It's not really broken arms which are the issue, but permanent disability. Broken necks, spines, that kind of thing.

Warmest regards,
Aglain
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO personal finance would be a valuable part of the school curriculum. A lot of it could be taught as a type of applied arithmetic. One problem I would envisage would be that the financial services "industry" would be offering to do the teaching for nothing and that would risk achieving the exact opposite of what I have in mind.