Suspension of London cycle lanes during Olympics

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
SJSBrompton

Suspension of London cycle lanes during Olympics

Post by SJSBrompton »

So the public transport system will be hopelessly overloaded, so it might be easier to get around by bike, right?

As long as you are confident to hold your lane then, as the new 'see how your journey will be affected' thingy on the tfl get ready site has an option for cyclists. Quite a few cycle lanes are being suspended, though on some roads they are only advisory now and motor traffic is often over them. Hopefully there will be less motor traffic but annoyed at the one on the Lambeth Palace Road ... :evil:
snibgo

Re: Suspension of London cycle lanes during Olympics

Post by snibgo »

I see that some of the Zil lanes will allow bikes (and buses). But some won't. So that's clear, then.
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Here's the link (was on the tablet last night)

http://www.getaheadofthegames.com/trave ... anges.html

Go to Driving and Roads, then pick the Temporary Road Closures section, it pops up and asks mode of transport.

Cycle lanes that are affected are in light blue.

Despite these, I'm sure being on a bicycle will still be, as ever, way better than being on the tube (especially if its warm)!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

A lot of visitors are going to be staying in central and surrounding hotels. They won't be cyclists. They will be transported to the events on chartered coaches or will be driving hire cars. A lot of the hire car drivers will not be accustomed to driving on the left hand side of the road. Some will make some errors along the way... :wink:

I think it is sensible to advise cyclist NOT to use the roads during the Olympic games. Confused tourists in 'Stick shifts' on the 'wrong side' of the road mixing with cyclists is a recipe for more KSI's.

There will of course be some cycle activists who will go out of their way to INSIST on being able to use the thoroughfares; and deliberately inpede the Olympic spectator's journey from Hotel to Arena, and visa versa.
This will cause aggrovation and not help the public's perception of British cyclists.

For one, I kept WELL out of the way when the Birmingham SuperPrix motor race was staged. And when there's a big event at the NEC, its unwise to ride near there.
I rode to watch the Redditch Halfords ProTour event. It was surprising how many motorists there were and the silly turns they were making either to get out of the town centre or look for a parking space.
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

Ayesha wrote:I think it is sensible to advise cyclist NOT to use the roads during the Olympic games. Confused tourists in 'Stick shifts' on the 'wrong side' of the road mixing with cyclists is a recipe for more KSI's.

There will of course be some cycle activists who will go out of their way to INSIST on being able to use the thoroughfares; and deliberately inpede the Olympic spectator's journey from Hotel to Arena, and visa versa.
This will cause aggrovation and not help the public's perception of British cyclists.
The lanes are being removed to improve traffic capacity, not specifically to discourage cyclists? Foreign drivers seem to have a better record for driving when it comes to showing consideration for cyclists. I imagine it's going to be one big slowly moving car park and as such won't present any huge new danger to the urban cyclist.
Incidentally, we have just been "advised" to move one of our evening time trials due to Olympic traffic. Apparently the massive hoardes arriving to watch one of the early footie qualifiers (I believe plenty of tickets are still available . . . .) will be making their way to Coventry's (It's not the . . .) Ricoh Arena (. . . for the duration of the 2012 Olympics, due to conflicting sponsorship contracts) along the A45 all the way to the outskirts of Coventry and its congested Tollbar End roundabout, then either of two busy routes with numerous roundabouts and delays, rather than continuing up the M1 and turning onto the M6 to Junction 3, just one mile of dual carriageway away from the stadium :roll: Nevermind, I like the K41 :D
Si

Post by Si »

I imagine it's going to be one big slowly moving car park and as such won't present any huge new danger to the urban cyclist.

Quite so, indeed, we ought to be out taking advantage of the fact, not cowering away until the nasty man has given us the bits or painted road back.

If it all becomes a daily grid lock for drivers then it ought to be an ideal opportunity to show just how good bikes are for cutting through the traffic chaos and getting people where they are going with the minimum of fuss and expense.
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Quite so, indeed, we ought to be out taking advantage of the fact, not cowering away until the nasty man has given us the bits or painted road back.

If it all becomes a daily grid lock for drivers then it ought to be an ideal opportunity to show just how good bikes are for cutting through the traffic chaos and getting people where they are going with the minimum of fuss and expense.

Absolutely - it just seems a bit contradictory to suggest cycling, as TFL does, and then to close cycle lanes. But TFL aren't known for their wisdom.

Hopefully there will be less motorised traffic anyway (coaches excepted). I work on the main thoroughfare out of Victoria Coach station, plus close to Buckingham Palace, with a coach bay opposite - plus the open top buses. Should be business as usual then!
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Highlight of the Olympic games for me is watching Tommy Godwin carry the torch. There could be a few Tommy Godwin framed bikes out that day.
A good contingent from Solihull CC, Shirley Roads and MC & AC should be present. Drinkies afterwards.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Ayesha wrote:Highlight of the Olympic games for me is watching Tommy Godwin carry the torch. There could be a few Tommy Godwin framed bikes out that day.
A good contingent from Solihull CC, Shirley Roads and MC & AC should be present. Drinkies afterwards.

Now that's a bit I could watch.....

Where/when?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Ayesha wrote:A lot of visitors are going to be staying in central and surrounding hotels. They won't be cyclists. They will be transported to the events on chartered coaches or will be driving hire cars. A lot of the hire car drivers will not be accustomed to driving on the left hand side of the road. Some will make some errors along the way... :wink:

I think it is sensible to advise cyclist NOT to use the roads during the Olympic games. Confused tourists in 'Stick shifts' on the 'wrong side' of the road mixing with cyclists is a recipe for more KSI's.

I get the impression that American tourists are too scared to even hire 'stick shifts'. Not in central London at any rate.

I'm not so sure. How many spectators are going to be going by road?

Here's a £999 pp Olympics package:

http://www.thomascooklondon2012.com/1-e ... gton/13779

No transport is included, they advise 'nearest tube station'.

The athletes are staying in Stratford.

Only the fattest of the fat cats will be using the roads.

Normal people will be on public transport.

So I expect those who object to the zil lanes would be quite pleased about people cycling slowly down them.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Stratford is a long way from London ????
SJSBrompton

Post by SJSBrompton »

Sure feels that way if you are travelling on the London Overground from Richmond ....... :wink: :lol:
southamptonadi

Post by southamptonadi »

its a bit weird really, they suspend the cycle lanes, but i presume if cars can then use them you can just continue cycling down them. I wonder what would actually happen if you got knocked off.

adi
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

southamptonadi wrote:its a bit weird really, they suspend the cycle lanes, but i presume if cars can then use them you can just continue cycling down them. I wonder what would actually happen if you got knocked off.
Most of the cycle lanes I "use" (i.e ride in because that's where I would ride anyway) aren't wide enough for a bike, let alone a car. If these lanes are "de-cycled", I imagine exactly the same happens in an accident as normal free-to-all roads - police do as little as possible :roll:
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

SilverBadge wrote:... police do as little as possible :roll:

In other words: there is no change at all.

As soon as someone said it would be the "greenest Olympics ever" I knew it wouldn't be.