What single/fixie do you ride?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
drossall

Re: What single/fixie do you ride?

Post by drossall »

Like Vorsprung, my main fixed is based on an old SJS Tange frame, although I bought mine for the purpose. The original white finish didn't last too long, so I had Argos respray it. Now, it's rusting again and the BB thread has failed - I've fitted a threadless BB. Don't think it will go on too much longer:

I've got an On-One as a replacement:

Ugly

Post by Ugly »

Down to two fixed machines, bike is a sjs frame with 50 chain wheel x 20/21 sprockets. Trike a 1965 Allin bronze welded frame with a 1950s Higgins con axle running 50 x 21.

Please fixed or fixedwheel NOT horrid americanisms
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

songsforpolarbears wrote:I watched the Mash SF movie. I understand I got a rather distorted view of riding a fixie :shock: , but I know I want one.
Would a horizontal dropout or a track fork be more suitable? If I'm a 56/57cm frame on a road bike am I the same on a fixie?
Thank you very much. Enjoying looking at the beautiful bikes on this thread.

go for it :-)
have a look at Sheldon's info on them: http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html
drossall

Post by drossall »

Ugly wrote:Please fixed or fixedwheel NOT horrid americanisms

+1.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Si wrote:Fred Williams Light Weight Special, 653 tubes, fixed
GT Zaskar SS.

I met Fred Williams on a training ride in Spain about 4 years ago - a very nice man and very interesting cycling history too with some great stories. He carried on racing until he was about 68 and told me he handed the shop over to his sons a few years later - "How old are you now, Fred," I asked - "76" (that was 4 years ago!) and he was still enjoying a nice cycle in the Costa Blanca sun.

My fixed/single speed (trade with a CTC forumite) is a Gazelle 531 currently on 73" soon to be 76" S/S and 72" fixed for the summer!

Si

Post by Si »

I met Fred Williams on a training ride in Spain about 4 years ago - a very nice man and very interesting cycling history too with some great stories. He carried on racing until he was about 68 and told me he handed the shop over to his sons a few years later - "How old are you now, Fred," I asked - "76" (that was 4 years ago!) and he was still enjoying a nice cycle in the Costa Blanca sun.

Yes, he was always a nice chap when I used to go into the shop. When in a computer shop a while ago I got to talking about bikes with the sales man for some reason...turned out that he used to be one of Fred Williams' main frame builders back in the day (and did some for SJS), and probably did my fixie too (although it was actually originally a 14spd). Very sad that he'd found that a career change was forced on him by the arrival of Alu and far eastern bike factories.
hashtag

Post by hashtag »

heres a picture of my quella
its my first fixed wheel bike, i rode a couple and this was the best/most comfy/coolest looking imho
you can get them online from http://www.quellabicycle.com

sully op

Post by sully op »

vorsprung wrote:I was riding an audax in Cornwall on one of those cheap Tange Frames that SJS used to do
The bike had an 8 speed triple but then a stick flicked into the drive train took out the derailluer, broke a couple of spokes
I converted it to single speed and carried on riding. I got lost and lost a bit of time so didn't complete the audax but I managed to make it back to the hall

After this the bike had to stay a single speed as the derailluer hanger had rusted out. Now, you know that you always keep those old 8 speed chains and cassettes and stuff "just in case they come in handy"? Well make a single speed like this and suddenly all that crap is handy! I never ran out of chains or sprockets!

I used a 66" or 70" gear and it was fine in Devon as long as I was careful with the route to avoid the really steep stuff
One winter I did do occasional 70 mile round trip commutes over Exmoor on it.

Alas, after a few years of riding in all weathers with my causal attitude towards maintenance the headset froze and I couldn't change the headset bearings
The headset got stiffer and notchier. I bought another bike to do the commute on. I took the wheels off and sold the brake levers.

Eventually the frame with the frozen headset went to the dump. I offered the frame to friends but a 24" rusty frame has limited appeal. Maybe one day I'll have another 1 speed bike, but I doubt it. My knees aren't getting any younger

Here is a picture of it on a sunny day. You will notice from the picture that it still has the triple chainset on. Funny, the middle ring kept wearing out.

single speed by vorsprung2009, on Flickr

looks well nice

my charge is the same one as here

Single Speed Bikes

is loads of them about but i love it
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

hashtag wrote:heres a picture of my quella
its my first fixed wheel bike, i rode a couple and this was the best/most comfy/coolest looking imho
you can get them online from http://www.quellabicycle.com

Too cool to have brakes, eh?

12Kg.
TIG welded Hi-Ten? Really?
And only £30 more than a Triban three....

Bargain.
_________
LEJoG slug
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

This is my hack bike gets me to work, I also use it when the weather is bad (quite a lot lately), shopping etc.
DSCF1763.jpg

This one is for fun.
DSCF2302.jpg
The Only Cyclist In The Village
JordanCarroll

Post by JordanCarroll »

This was my first build, when I was first getting into road cycling and needed a commuting bike

Now this is my fixed commuter (has SKS mudguards when the weather dictates)

jonbott

Post by jonbott »

used to ride a flying scott fixed back in my youth,did a 200k randonee in high wycombe
and had a fred dean fixed that used for training and winter riding,it had a bottle type dynamo that told people if I was accelerating
I brought it back to use last year but found it scary riding as one day on my long down hill to work the chain came off :oops: so sold it to someone on here,I believe its in London,
I`m def too old for this!
pedalpower2

Post by pedalpower2 »

I have a Paganini frame from Byercycles. The same frame with different transfers is sold by at least two other dealers. I built it up with various parts, some of which were quite old. I usually use a 57" gear, sometimes a 64". I have been up to 158rpm(but not for long). Big gears kill me. I think the longest ride I've done on it is about 70 to 75 miles. That's a bit less than my age. Must do a few more to beat my age.
cyclingvirtual

Post by cyclingvirtual »

Pearsons Touche

Image Image Image
manotea

Post by manotea »

A touche for me. In fact I have two. Same bike, different gearing.