Encounter with MAFIL's

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
johncarnie

Encounter with MAFIL's

Post by johncarnie »

First things first - I don't like shared cycle tracks! What with dog-owners on long leads, yummie-mummies with prams two-abreast (that's the prams not the kids! :roll:) and peds with ear-phones lost in their own world! But I was on the A4440 to Powick Worcester where at times the traffic just crawls, so it's best to use the (bumpy, overgrown) cycle/ped track. I was approaching the Powick roundabout when coming round a blind corner were two MAFIL's in full gear going hell for leather as though they were being pursued by the devil himself. I swerved to avoid and ended up in the grass verge all arms, legs and bike. They did not look back so intent were they on their race! I would have been be safer with the traffic!
Si

Re: Encounter with MAFIL's

Post by Si »

'MAFIL's ?
johncarnie

Post by johncarnie »

Middle Aged Females in Lycra (as opposed to MAMILS) :oops:
graymee

Post by graymee »

I would have been inclined to hold my ground, stopping if necessary (as a last resort) to force them to change course however I wasn't in the situation you were in.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
jezer

Post by jezer »

Well, we had one of these on our club run yesterday (it was more like a chain gang). Twenty started, seven of us at the end, including her. Every time she went on the front the pace increased by a couple of kilometres per hour. Awesome! :shock:
Power to the pedals
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I'm sometimes a MAFIL then but really do aspire to their greatness :D (if not their obvious lack of awareness)
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

MAFIL MAMIL ..never heard of it until now :lol:

I'm not a Lycra man myself ! :roll: Been a retro 'Beenbag' knitted leggings man for years :evil:

I too hate shared kerb's too. Most pedestrians think they own the eight feet wide section of tarmac :|
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Ian Raleigh wrote:MAFIL MAMIL ..never heard of it until now :lol:

<SNIP>

I too hate shared kerb's too. Most pedestrians think they own the eight feet wide section of tarmac :|

Because they do? Peds are allowed on all parts of a shared use path but cyclists only on the cycle bit, sad but true, just another reason not to use them.
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

johncarnie wrote:I would have been be safer with the traffic!

Yep, with shared facilities that's generally the case . . .
Ian Raleigh

Post by Ian Raleigh »

wirral_cyclist wrote:Because they do? Peds are allowed on all parts of a shared use path but cyclists only on the cycle bit, sad but true, just another reason not to use them.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a shared path has a white line down the middle with markings
showing of a cycle and a walking man, pedestrians are not allowed into this section of kerb which shows the cycle.
DougieB

Post by DougieB »

Ian Raleigh wrote:
wirral_cyclist wrote:Because they do? Peds are allowed on all parts of a shared use path but cyclists only on the cycle bit, sad but true, just another reason not to use them.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that if a shared path has a white line down the middle with markings
showing of a cycle and a walking man, pedestrians are not allowed into this section of kerb which shows the cycle.

not true. do you live in Edinburgh by any chance ? I had a cyclist shout at me for daring to walk on the cyclist side of the line. pedestrians can walk anywhere, except motorways ?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I went into a cafe in Birmingham and asked for Mille feuille.

The waitress came back with a glass of warm yellow liquid. :lol:
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

In theory, cycle tracks can be made "without a right of way on foot". In practise I don't think they ever are.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

If a cyclist collides with a pedestrian where the pedestrian is on the 'cycling' half of a shared pathway, guess who will be prosecuted for 'inconsiderate cycling'?

You can't just go mowing down pedestrians because they are ocupying the side of the pathway that has a painting of a bicycle on it... :roll:

What's this? Death race 2000 ??? :lol:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Ayesha wrote:If a cyclist collides with a pedestrian where the pedestrian is on the 'cycling' half of a shared pathway, guess who will be prosecuted for 'inconsiderate cycling'?

You can't just go mowing down pedestrians because they are ocupying the side of the pathway that has a painting of a bicycle on it... :roll:

What's this? Death race 2000 ??? :lol:

+1

I don't understand this attitude. Peds are unpredictable, they'll always be so. Deal with it or use the road.