North Wales Cycle route

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
alpgirl

North Wales Cycle route

Post by alpgirl »

Does anyone know if you can go from Connah's Quay to Prestatyn without going on road yet? The All Wales Path has been finished, but I'm not sure if that means the cycle path is finished too, or whether you still have to go on the road between Connah's Quay and Talacre.
chesterpete

Re: North Wales Cycle route

Post by chesterpete »

I rode it at the end of last year and once i got to Talacre it was road riding all the way to Connah's Quay I'm afraid.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

alpgirl wrote:Does anyone know if you can go from Connah's Quay to Prestatyn without going on road yet? The All Wales Path has been finished, but I'm not sure if that means the cycle path is finished too, or whether you still have to go on the road between Connah's Quay and Talacre.

The coastal path is a footpath, rather than bridleway or shared use path. I think there are plans to increase bike access, but it won't come anytime soon. So it is on road until you get to Talacre. The main coast road is pretty boring and busy. If you want to follow NCN 5, then you are rewarded with some great views, great countryside and a great big hill at each end and lots of little ones in between. :)

You don't have to go as far as Prestatyn to get off road. Go down to Talacre and you can cycle through the sand dunes (on tarmac). Through the holiday camp and Prestatyn golf course and then you are onto the coastal wall and path.
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Thankyou. Hills not so good with kids. Originally there were plans to have the cycle route completed by 2007, but this doesn't appear to be the case :cry:
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

They are trying to get bikes off the roads, including a bit of cycle path perhaps 50m long near Fynnongroew. But unless the RSPB relent, it is likely to stay on road for at least part of the way.