Please look at the video of a Lorry knocking me off.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dslippy

Re: Please look at the video of a Lorry knocking me off.

Post by dslippy »

The best advice is to only do this if, for example, the high-sided vehicle is stopped at traffic lights which have just turned red, and the cyclist is familiar with the light sequence and knows for certain that they have plenty of time.

However, in spite of this advice, if a rider does misjudge the situation and finds her/himself alongside a bus or HGV starting to pull away, they must not hang back, which might seem like the intuitive thing to do, rather, pedal really fast to get to the front and back into the line of sight. You might well incur the driver’s wrath, but at least you’ll be alive to hear the expletives! Remember, drivers often turn left without indicating.

You are best doing what is necessary to avoid the situation in the first place, but if you really are in that position, you may (if circs make it sensible) be better rolling back so as to allow the damn thing to move ahead and in whatever direction it intends.

Racing it forwards looks potentially suicidal.
What is possible depends on many factors - just how far along the inside you are, and the length of the lorry (how much will the middle of the damn thing come over as he turns left, and what street space/furniture there is to your left.
dalifnei

Re: Please look at the video of a Lorry knocking me off.

Post by dalifnei »

I wouldn't feel confident to race it and move into primary in front of an angry trucker :(