Please look at the video of a Lorry knocking me off.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Please look at the video of a Lorry knocking me off.

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2012, 10:27am

horizon wrote:
Mick F wrote:When and where did all this happen?

In Burlington Lane in Chiswick just past the second entrance to Chiswick House on the A316.

I don't know how to get the Streetview link but I have seen it on Streetview.

I don't know when it happened.

Does that mean this has been doing the rounds?

Incidentally, I've just looked at Burlington Lane on streetview and, if I've got the right one, the images are dated 2008. i couldn't see a mandatory cycle lane but there are several lengths of advisory lane (completely blocked by parked cars. :roll: )

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 4 Jul 2012, 10:28am

I doubt there's anything on here that an insurer could use to minimise payment. Pages and pages of prattle about how an individual might avoid a similar fate.
Armed with a copy of the highway code and the video there's really nothing to dispute, anything written on here is just opinion.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Jul 2012, 10:36am

Edwards wrote:The claim made by the truck driver that the cyclist swerved also shows that he saw the cyclist. It is not possible to also claim he did not see him, as how else would he know that he swerved.
How do we know the lorry drive saw him?
How do we know that what he said is true?
Did WE see any swerve on the video?
Is it not possible that the lorry driver was unaware of the OP's presence - he SHOULD have been aware, but he may not have been.

How far ahead of the lorry did the OP reach before being overtook and knocked off?
Is it not possible that the lorry driver never saw the OP approaching to pass down his left hand side, and that after undertaking the lorry never got far enough ahead to be visible through his front window?

We know nothing about all this, and IMHO we aren't ever going to know all this until the OP comes back and gives us a clue or two.
Mick F. Cornwall

horizon

Postby horizon » 4 Jul 2012, 10:57am

thirdcrank wrote:Does that mean this has been doing the rounds?

The video was posted on 30th June. I worked out the location this morning (it's my neck of the woods). The OP had to take this route to get to Canary Wharf from Whitton. (He 's not the only banker to have fallen recently.)
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2012, 11:13am

horizon - Thanks for that.

On a wider point, civil cases are decided on the balance of probabilities ie the judgment has to go one way or the other. We don't know the rider's version - let's hope he returns and tells us whether he had "dropped" the lorry after the nearside pass, or whether he came off his bike without ever properly completing the filtering / overtaking / space invading manoeuvre.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 4 Jul 2012, 1:17pm

Exactly.
If he hadn't gone WAY past the lorry, the driver wouldn't have seen him.

Hence - do not undertake a lorry.
Mick F. Cornwall

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2012, 1:49pm

Apart from hexhome's interesting comments which are particularly important as he's a driver of that type of vehicle, we are just going round and round now.

Some of this has reminded me of an incident which happened to me last week when I was driving. I came up behind a very large, high cab lorry parked outside a school. The remaining space was narrow and as I drove cautiously past the lorry (on the offside) the cab door flew open and the large driver jumped onto the road directly in front of me. His body language made it pretty obvious that he had not checked before jumping out and was surprised to see my car - he might just as easily have landed on my bonnet or he might have been knocked down, had I not been alert to the possibilty of a pedestrian stepping out from behind the front of the truck. (I certainly wasn't expecting him to drop in on me like that :roll: ) Anyway, he stood there for a couple of seconds flexing his gut and generally doing the alpha male posturing and having gained no reaction from me he waddled off. No doubt if we had reached the discussion stage, he'd have explained to me the error of my ways. ("You shouldn't of...")

It's a state of mind.

Deako

Postby Deako » 5 Jul 2012, 10:34am

It's a pretty shocking video. Given the response from the insurance company it would seem that the truck driver has seen the cyclist and seems to think it is o.k. to rumble past a bike giving a foot and a halfs space.

I'd prefer that however is dealing with the claim is incompetent and has just made up the line about the bike swerving after seeing the video. I can deal with insurers being useless.

Greg

TwoPlusTen

Postby TwoPlusTen » 5 Jul 2012, 10:49am

Deako wrote:It's a pretty shocking video. Given the response from the insurance company it would seem that the truck driver has seen the cyclist and seems to think it is o.k. to rumble past a bike giving a foot and a halfs space.

I'd prefer that however is dealing with the claim is incompetent and has just made up the line about the bike swerving after seeing the video. I can deal with insurers being useless.

Greg

Except that he didn't give a foot-and-a-half otherwise we wouldn't have had 7 pages of comments about one video showing a guy ending up on tarmac.

Deako

Postby Deako » 5 Jul 2012, 12:45pm

Except that he didn't give a foot-and-a-half otherwise we wouldn't have had 7 pages of comments about one video showing a guy ending up on tarmac.

You're right of course - I'd still much rather the lorry driver was claiming he hadn't seen the bike.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Jul 2012, 2:30pm

One striking feature of the video is that at no stage does the rider look behind him. As he never really changes his riding line from the gutter, that's probably immaterial but it does mean that we don't really know whether he cleared the front of the lorry by a decent margin before being overtaken. My own layman's analysis is that it looks as though he probably did, but others have suggested that he didn't. Evidence of that is obviously important here and I hope the OP returns and tells us his version.

(I presume the foot and a half comment relates to the total space left between the truck and the upstand across the edge of the bus layby. Perhaps the driver's legal representatives would argue that he left a similar amount of carriageway to that considered to be suitable by the expert highway engineers who laid out the cycle lane on other parts of this road. :evil: )

horizon

Postby horizon » 5 Jul 2012, 2:42pm

thirdcrank wrote:(I presume the foot and a half comment relates to the total space left between the truck and the upstand across the edge of the bus layby. Perhaps the driver's legal representatives would argue that he left a similar amount of carriageway to that considered to be suitable by the expert highway engineers who laid out the cycle lane on other parts of this road. :evil: )

I think that this is the point that justifies the more than foot and a half of comment on this thread devoted to everything but the actual incident. The riding of the OP, his road positioning, the cycle lane, the belief of the driver that he was positioned correctly to overtake - all these contributed to the accident. Had a coroner investigated this accident (and thank goodness one wasn't needed), he or she may have raised these other points. In the event we have an insurance spat rather than a prosecution and (IMV most importantly of all) the castigation and perhaps charges of criminal negligence against the Highway Authority - who ultimately must take responsibility for this incident.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Jul 2012, 2:50pm

horizon wrote: ... Had a coroner investigated this ....

Perhaps there would have been some sort of reconstruction - based on the video - to try to establish what happened. Whenever I read Martin Porter's blog I become increasingly doubtful. :(

meic

Postby meic » 5 Jul 2012, 7:31pm

The cyclist doesnt look behind at all. I would find it hard not to give rear observations because of habit.
However he doesnt really have that much to gain from doing so.
Most of the time there is no possibility of any one squeezing between him and the cars and he is going faster than the cars.
Considering the perilous path that he chose squeezing between kerb and cars he was better off keeping a sharp lookout ahead.
When it came to the truck, it seems to me he was caught from the side. He certainly wasnt tail ended.
Even knowing where the truck was, I doubt that I would have gone any further left at the time of the collision for fear of that paving stone. A rear observation would have given no warning of the truck moving back to the kerb while alongside.
Yma o Hyd

wirral_cyclist

Postby wirral_cyclist » 5 Jul 2012, 8:17pm

I perhaps rashly assumed the camera was bar mounted and not body mounted, if it was on a head/foam hat/shoulder mount it only proves further how unskilled/unthinking the rides was though :-(

Sent from an Android by a human