First Aid Kits

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

First Aid Kits

Post by meic »

I have got through almost half a century now without bothering with such things.

My reasoning is along the lines that anything which a domestic kit can deal with is minor enough to be ignored and any injury that needs treatment is beyond the scope of such kits.
I set off around the world with a bottle of concentrated disinfectant and some bandages.

So can anyone convince me that they are worthwhile or better still, list specific items and their likely use.
I can see that some 10cm squares of dressing material could be taped over gravel rash for example.

My First Aid training (decades ago) is pretty basic and of a survival nature.
I would say that the first item on the list would be updating my training, yet I can not see me getting around to that. Also I find the civilian courses to be unbearably petty in nature and delivery.
Yma o Hyd
hexhome

Re: First Aid Kits

Post by hexhome »

meic wrote: Also I find the civilian courses to be unbearably petty in nature and delivery.

Not for the last 10 years IME! My company has a policy that all professional drivers must have first aid training and whilst I can recall some of what you describe in the distant past, that certainly is not the case now.

It would be impossible to carry a comprehensive first aid kit on a bike and improvisation is the key. I agree that a field dressing for the odd cut knee would be a good idea and maybe a triangular bandage which can be called upon to help with many cycle related injuries (collar bone comes to mind).

Watching the Tour this week, I am amazed at how many times a rider is dragged to his feet after a bad fall. Maybe professional cyclist should have first aid training as well.
meic

Post by meic »

If I or another had a cut/abraded knee I would continue my journey with a patch on it.
However in this day and age, with a broken collar bone wouldnt you just sit at the road side holding the arm to your body and (mobile)phone an ambulance?
Or is that just my excuse for forgetting how to do a collar bone sling? I can see more harm from an amateur attempting this compared to waiting for a skilled paramedic to arrive. The mobile phone has revolutionised the way we can deal with such events.
I know we can engineer unlikely circumstances where this is not the case but I dont live my life planning for that level of bad luck.
Yma o Hyd
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

You are absolutely right. I can only report that it happened recently to my son. A fractured collar bone is extremely painful and secure immobilisation is essential to reduce this. In my area, a 30 minute wait for an ambulance would not be exceptional. We improvised some immobilisation and made our own way to casualty, but normally the course you suggest would be ideal, and secure access to pain relief. It's still a handy thing to have in the context of a minimal first aid kit as per your initial post.
peter99

Post by peter99 »

OP is right.

All you need in a first aid kit (first to aid, that is the clue) is;

Something to stop heavy bleeding after a serious cut / gash etc
Something to support a broken bone
Something to strap / tie padding on

Therefore
Some gauze padding type pads, stop the immediate bleed, then hospital
couple of triangular bandages to strap the padding on and compress or support broken bone, then hospital
Minor cuts etc, use padding if necessary or ignore.

Anything else is pretty un necessary in the first aid stage. Maybe a mask for mouth to mouth if your trained.

I used to take groups off piste in the alps. That was all that was carried.

As the OP says it's either so minor it can be ignored until a plaster is available or it's so major that hospital is required and temporary aid as above prior to the ambulance / helicopter or whatever arrives.

Why carry more?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hexhome has stolen my thunder by mentioning triangular bandages, the only thing I remember with much certainty about first aid training in the 1960's. Here's something I posted on another thread (not a first aid thread.)

During my initial training we were taught first aid by the drill sergeant. ... the bit on drug overdoses said that the casualty might have dilated pupils. When he had explained that this meant 'like pinpricks' and I had suggested that it meant 'enlarged' he put it to the vote rather than consult a dictionary and although the other ninety-odd men had come to realise I was probably right, they all sided with him. (Think of Lah-di-dah Gunner Graham but with a Yorkshire accent and, relative to everybody else, the height of Gunner Sugden, with a helmet to scale.)

In Leeds City Police we did the first aid retest every three years, but I never had any further first aid training after 1974 when we were taken over. I remember one retest, carried out by a local GP who spent most of the time stressing that the most important thing was to ring 999 for an ambulance. Probably a lot easier in urban areas than for anybody working far from professional help, where self-reliance is often the order of the day. As an aside, the modern paramedic service is much better than what went before.

I do remember one occasion decades ago at Leeds Bridewell, when a colleague knelt down to check a drunk lying on the floor and was immediately attacked. As they grappled in all the vomit etc., the duty sergeant leaned over from the safety of his place behind the counter and quipped "First, reassure the patient..."
alicej

Post by alicej »

First aid isn’t about grazed knees! It’s about a few different things which, unless certain specific things are done very quickly, can kill someone before an ambulance has had time to arrive.

All those bandages are for keeping pressure on a wound that’s bleeding badly, to try to stop someone losing too much blood and going into shock before an ambulance arrives.

A resuscitation face mask is to protect you while you do CPR to hopefully keep someone alive until an ambulance arrives (people often vomit before losing consciousness, and who is going to put their mouth on someone else’s vomit without a mask?).

The training covers keeping airways open since if someone isn’t breathing they are not going to survive until an ambulance gets there, and treatment for shock because this can also kill and immediate treatment can stop it early.

We were also taught to recognise warning signs that an ambulance might be needed and how urgently. E.g. if you call an ambulance and tell them someone has broken a bone then they’ll come out, but it may take them much longer than if you can also tell them that the casualty is showing signs of shock because this needs treatment more urgently. Recognising signs of a possible heart attack or problems with diabetes can also make the difference between getting proper treatment early and not.

The most essential thing for a lightweight, minimalist first aid kit is first aid training, followed by a mobile phone. Other stuff is only useful if you know how to use it, and plasters for grazed knees are just optional extras like any other bit of camping gear.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

First Aid training has improved over the years and has also in recent years become a bit more realistic applying common sense rather than strict rules and ratios. I've always been First Aid trained as a requirement for being an 'outdoors' instructor, but now as part of our 'First Aid at Work' training (there are about a dozen of us) we have to have annual refresher training as well as a 3-yearly assessment/re-qualification.

Anyway I digress. There are also many different size and good value-for-money First Aid kits available and for £10 - £15 you can buy a decent, but lightweight kit that is worthwhile taking on a tour. I take a small FA kit for a short tour with 1 - 3 people and a slightly larger kit for a longer tour or when there are more people. I've only ever used it once in 10 years and I really don't mind if I never have to use it again, but it does give me peace of mind for being able to help others (not myself!).

Of course - it is a personal thing as to whether or not you think it worthwhile.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I've carried a first aid kit, it has been a small standard one, containing a triangle bandage, a roll of gauze bandage, a couple of non-stick pads to go under the gauze bandage, a resuscitation face mask, and a couple of rubber gloves (to avoid contact with someone else's blood). I also carry some anti-histimine for Mini V, who is bothered by some insect bites, and seems to attract them.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

I attended an excellent first aid talk from a motorcycle trauma doctor who operates in Hampshire

Anyway, As emergency service access is pretty much immediate in this country what the roadside 'first aider' needs to know is how to first of all call the emergency services, then 'secure' the accident area - i.e. - stand a few hundred yards down the road and try and warn/get traffic to slow down and not get any more people injured. What not to do and what to do regarding getting a non breathing person breathing/starting mouth to mouth/removing helmets/cpr etc etc. Then how to stop bleeding. Then a bit of reassurance etc.

Regarding First Aid kits all you need, if you think about it is :-

A pair of latex free or plastic gloves - you'd be amazed what gore people will put their hands on/in of they're separated from it by a thin layer of plastic
A mouth to mouth face mask - again, it's more appealing giving mouth to mouth if you're face isn't getting smeared in the patients gore/vomit/blood etc
A NATO bandage - shove this on any leaking bits. They're fairly big, but are sterile, cheap and do what they say on the tin.

Anything else 'required' can be improvised or made on the spot. Or just isn't necessary. If the ambulance is 10 minutes away is there really any point in putting on your triangular bandage, most likely causing the patient unnecessary additional pain? Do you really think those rusty scissors are helping the infection process? If they're laying there and breathing why move them?
meic

Post by meic »

A NATO bandage - shove this on any leaking bits. They're fairly big, but are sterile, cheap and do what they say on the tin.

It just so happens that I do remember what is written on them, which we found slightly amusing at first as none of us understood any French. :lol:

I agree they are a good way of plugging a bleeding hole but it seems a bit pessimistic to be carrying a battle field dressing just for a cycle ride, next thing they will be expecting you to wear a helmet!
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

meic wrote:If I or another had a cut/abraded knee I would continue my journey with a patch on it.

Nope, tried it, no good. the rubber solution just won't stick to skin.
cycle cat

Post by cycle cat »

A basic first aid kit is useful.It doesn't have to be heavy.
A few plasters, a dressing, non latex gloves, pain killers, aspirin, foil blanket.Then add a few extras like wipes depending on where you are going.
More importantly, it would be good if there was a standardised form of ID and medical
info, to be carried in case of emergency.

Training is vital. Experience comes with practise.
I'm a trained First Aider, also trained in CPR and using a defibrillator.
If you cycle in a group, think what could happen and could you deal with it.
A friend falls off their bike. Could you deal with cuts and grazes, a hit on the head or shock?
Insect bites can be a problem as some people are allergic and go into shock.
It's all about keeping calm and doing the right thing.
Sometimes it's about stopping someone else from doing something which will make the situation worse.
Thank goodness for soup.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

theenglishman wrote:As emergency service access is pretty much immediate in this country
Unfortunately not true (though it depends on your definition of 'pretty much immediate') - it's a postcode lottery - and call response times are likely to take longer with upcoming budget cuts. Also, as mentioned, the emergency category (and therefore prioritisation) depends how the scripted questions from the call handler are answered.

theenglishman wrote: what the roadside 'first aider' needs to know is how to first of all call the emergency services, then 'secure' the accident area - i.e. - stand a few hundred yards down the road and try and warn/get traffic to slow down and not get any more people injured. What not to do and what to do regarding getting a non breathing person breathing/starting mouth to mouth/removing helmets/cpr etc etc. Then how to stop bleeding. Then a bit of reassurance etc.
+1

theenglishman wrote:a mouth to mouth face mask
The current advice for the untrained/ unwilling person is that ventilations are less important than compressions - as per advert with Vinnie Jones, and 'Staying Alive' music, IIRC!
See page 23 of http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/bls.pdf (BLS = Basic Life Support)
Compression-only CPR Studies have shown that compression-only CPR may be as effective as combined ventilation and compression in the first few minutes after non-asphyxial arrest. However, chest compression combined with rescue breaths is the method of choice for CPR by
trained lay rescuers and professionals and should be the basis for lay-rescuer education. Lay rescuers who are unable or unwilling to provide rescue breaths, should be encouraged to give chest compressions alone. When advising untrained laypeople by telephone, ambulance dispatchers should give instruction on compression-only CPR.

theenglishman wrote:is there really any point in putting on your triangular bandage, most likely causing the patient unnecessary additional pain?
+1

Remember the first aid mantra (I think the wording has changed slightly but I prefer the one I learnt originally);
Preserve Life
Prevent Worsening
Promote Recovery
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Si wrote:
meic wrote:If I or another had a cut/abraded knee I would continue my journey with a patch on it.

Nope, tried it, no good. the rubber solution just won't stick to skin.

As any fule kno, you have to wait for the blood to dry before you apply the patch.