info please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
theloafer

info please

Post by theloafer »

doing legog in june ...plan to do applecross any info would be good ..place,s to stay in the area..camp site,s b&b
Tim

Re:info please

Post by Tim »

we stayed on "The Wee Campsite" in Lochcarron: wee, basic and cheap. There's a campsite at Applecross with a good restaurant situated in a big polytunnel in the site. The climb over the bealach is major!
mike6

Post by mike6 »

There is a SYHA hostel at Torridon, and numerous B&B in Lochcarron, and wild camping "everywhere" in that area.
The Roman

Post by The Roman »

Wild camping is all well and good, but I like a shower! (Keeps the saddle sores at bay!)

There are numerous campsites. In Lochcarron, the Wee Campsite, as already mentioned. In Applecross there's the site at the bottom of the Ba which has the excellent polytunnel cafe. In Torridon there's the rough site near to the YH but next to the public loos which has a shower.

The caravan site at Kinlochewe does take the odd tent, but it is unrelieble, I've been turned away from there before now.

I believe there's a site at Sheildaig, but I've never user used it. Going South there are sites at Breakish (Broadford) on Skye and Balmacarra on the mainland, neither of which I have used. Slightly further afield is the site at Sligachan which is conveniently next to the Hotel and a very good tester for your tent should it get stormy!

I'll let you know if there are any problems after my trip in a couple of weeks. (Assuming I make it that far, of course!)
Tim

Post by Tim »

the forestry comm campsite at balmacara was closed when we tried to use it last year. the fc seem to have closed campsites all over the place recently. i was unable to locate the campsite at shieldaig. yes there's loads of places to wild camp and in my past i would have gone for this and nothing else, but, yes, a shower at the end of a day is very nice! must be old age coming on!
Tim

Post by Tim »

remembered that there's a campsite at dornie near eilian donan castle which looked ok