Buying opinions please

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Buying opinions please

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I may soon be in the market for a brand new bike (the first I've ever had except for a really awful ToysRUs mountain bike when the kids were small) and after a bit of research I think I want a cyclo-cross bike, because; they are light weight, strong framed, have drops, have room to fit mudguards and racks and have good toe clearance to the front wheel.

Basically I want a road bike that can also cope well with railway paths and are comfortable to tour on. I'm 56, 5'10", 12st and reasonably fit (I regularly cycle rides of 30 miles non-stop and 2 years ago rode from Cherbourg to St Malo in 4 days).

Can anyone recommend a bike on a budget of up to £1000? So far the Boardman Team CX and the Specialized Tricross Disc have caught my eye.
NUKe

Re: Buying opinions please

Post by NUKe »

Kona Jake is another one notneccessarily better than your current choices though, Tifosi have one I think for under a grand
NUKe

Post by irc »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Basically I want a road bike that can also cope well with railway paths and are comfortable to tour on.

Sounds like a touring bike to me. But if you want a cross bike then the Surly Crosscheck gets good reviews. Has good tyre clearance. The rear is spaced at 132.5mm so can take either road (130mm) or touring (135mm) rear hub widths. Within budget at £900.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/m14b103s1 ... S_GB/21202
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Sounds like a touring bike to me.

What's the difference? Can you recommend a touring bike in my budget?
Big T

Post by Big T »

A Cross bike will be lighter but not as robust. The wheels on a cross bike will be standard road bike wheels. It depends on the type of touring you want to do. Credit card/lightweight touring will be fine on a cross bike, but if you are considering camping, then you'll need a full on tourer. Tourers have stronger frames and wheels and can cope with the extra weight.

I have both a tourer and a cross bike (and an audax bike and road bike). The tourer (Ridgeback Panorama) is rock solid, great for commuting and slow leisure rides but it's definitely slower than my other bikes and for that readson, no good for riding in a group (I get dropped). My cross bike (Ridley crossbow) is fine on or off road and nippy enough to ride with a group with road tyres on. i've even done a bit of cross racing on it. I wouldn't tour on it though.

Tourers in your price range include - Ridgeback Voyage, Dawes Vantage, Dawes Galaxy (if you shop around), Raleigh Royal/Randonneur, Claud Butler Dalesman, EBC Country Traveller and Explorer.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Not much difference at your pirce point they tend to diversify as the price goes up
All the Cross bike we have mentioned are essential stylised bikes, they could be used for cyclocross, but if you were a serious competitor you probably look else where. That said they make great all rounders as they have rack mountings and mudguard so they can be used as everyday bikes. A touring bike will tend to have more relaxed angles on its gemoetry. They are much better suited to lugging loads and are comfortable over longer dstances. the geometry of cyclocross bikes is about winning races that last 45 minutes to an hour. But this is not true of bikes like the tricross it is more of a day tourer with rough stuff capability. Might I Suggest you also look at bikes which call them selves Audax bikes. Essentially bikes for day long comfort with clearance for mudgaurds and carrying capacity although nowhere near the Capacity of a full blown tourer.

what I wouldsay is don't rush into this take your time read around the subject andgo try a few out.
NUKe

Post by Tin_Hat »

I'd echo the last posters comments, ie don't rush in to buying, try a few out and see whether you fancy something that goes faster or a bike that's perhaps a bit more comfortable and able to carry loads a bit better. Have you tried a steel frame bike? There're not as heavy as you think and IMO give a nicer ride on tarmac and rougher stuff. I'd suggest trying Big T's suggested bikes and shopping around a bit for 'last year's colours/models'. Don't be afraid of asking for a test ride. Decent shops will let you do this :-)
michael42

Post by michael42 »

Tin_Hat wrote:I'd echo the last posters comments, ie don't rush in to buying, try a few out and see whether you fancy something that goes faster or a bike that's perhaps a bit more comfortable

Yeah this would be my advice, although imo comfort is as much a function of adjusting the fit and wearing the right gear (and possibly the way you cycle too) Pretty much every review I've seen of my bike complains about the saddle being uncomfortable and the bike transmitting bumps, but I've not noticed either issue. Although, I've not sat in the saddle for an entire day touring.

I got a hybrid, mostly because I was cycling on canal towpaths and similar off-road stuff, and for the first month that's more or less what I did, but then I start cycling further and faster and the 2nd month has been nearly all on-road. I'm thinking I'd have been better with a road bike (although I doubt I would have found one for my budget in any case so I'm not too fussed, I will just start saving)

Not the least because these paths, especially when it rains, tend to just cover your bike in crap and trash it. I know bikes get crud from the road too, but not to the same degree.
tykeboy2003

2 is better than 1?

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I'm beginning to think that instead of one bike to do everything I should go for 2 bikes, a racer and a sort of hybrid tourer/trail bike. Can I get 2 such bikes for my budget of £1000? If so what should I look at?
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Look at the Dawes Century. It might do both jobs.
http://road.cc/content/review/33557-daw ... century-se
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Look at the Dawes Century. It might do both jobs.

I like the look of that!
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Let us know what you decide to do!