LIGHTS FOR BROMPTON

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tin_Hat

LIGHTS FOR BROMPTON

Post by Tin_Hat »

Thinking ahead to the darker evenings on my commute, could anyone recommend some decent lights for a Brompton? I've got a decent Cat-Eye rear light (same as MickF it appears) and I was wondering whether to go for the Brompton - Shimano Hub Dynamo plus a back-up LED. Does anyone else have any recommendations? My commute is 6 to 10 miles each way, part lit, part country lane and part A road.
SJSBrompton

Re: LIGHTS FOR BROMPTON

Post by SJSBrompton »

Not necessarily the best - but I have the SSUN official Brompton front light. It changes brands depending on when you buy it (the one I bought later for hubby's Brompton was branded differently but the same light).

I ride on lighted roads in town, but it would probably be okay as a back up LED.

Initially when I first bought the Brompton, I had a standard Cat Eye torch style LED (similar style to above). However, the fixing bracket was useless - it was essentially just a plastic strap and kept slipping round all the time - good job I was in town as pointing down at the S bag isn't really helping see anything. That's when I took a deep breath and ordered the official Brompton one - which comes with a decent solid bracket and easy clip on/off system for when you fold.

I also have a Skully front LED wrapped on the handlebars - but that's mainly because I'm a goth ...... 8)
Agent57

Post by Agent57 »

I have a MagicShine MJ-808, but it's a bit bright for town centre commuting. The fixing mechanism makes it really easy to take off when I fold though - just a thick rubber band, and I haven't had any problems with it slipping.

I also have those reflective spoke covers. They fit the Brompton's wheels well, and make a good addition for from-the-side visibility, along with various bits of 3M refelctive tape.

maxwellhadley

Post by maxwellhadley »

I live in the unlit countryside. I originally ordered the official Brompton battery light system, with the Spaninga rear light, which was excellent, and the S-sun front light, which was utterly useless. Too dim, and only a pencil beam. It also has to be removed to fold the bike. I went for the 'deluxe' dynamo lighting system, with the B&M front light and SON hub dynamo, and the Spaninga rear light. This is superb, the only real drawback is the front light is very low, which gives deceptive shadows, making potholes (& cowpats!) look much more intimidating. Turns on & off automatically, and has both front and rear standlight function.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

My B has the Shimano hub dynamo and a Cyo N plus front light and Brompton rear lamp. I use it on urban roads and rural lanes in complete darkness. It has sufficient light at all speeds to illuminate the road well and I feel safe at 15 - 20 mph on unlit roads. Both front and rear lamps have a stand light which will stay illuminated for several minutes whilst stationary. It is not the cheapest option initially but one which I would highly recommend on the basis of; performance, usability, reliability, design, greeness and long term cost.
theenglishman

Post by theenglishman »

Agent57 wrote:I have a MagicShine MJ-808, but it's a bit bright for town centre commuting. The fixing mechanism makes it really easy to take off when I fold though - just a thick rubber band, and I haven't had any problems with it slipping.

I also have those reflective spoke covers. They fit the Brompton's wheels well, and make a good addition for from-the-side visibility, along with various bits of 3M refelctive tape.

What's the betting you'll get run over by a snow plough?
Tin_Hat

Post by Tin_Hat »

Thanks to all for the advice, I must admit that I would prefer a dynamo if possible if only because it means I don't have to remember (or dispose of) batteries. I'll have a shop around and see what I can get!