Broken glass

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Broken glass

Postby Mark1978 » 4 Sep 2012, 7:19pm

It might be a consequence of the pieces being cycled / walked over repeatedly.

jezer

Re: Broken glass

Postby jezer » 4 Sep 2012, 9:57pm

Rob Archer wrote:A worrying tendency I've noticed over the past couple of years is that a lot of the patches of broken glass are finely broken into fairly regularly-sized bits and evenly spread across the cycleway. When a bottle is thrown down it rarely breaks so evenly. (not that I've ever done it deliberately!) I had an informal conversation about it with a local police officer friend the other day and initially he said I was paranoid. He had another look at the worst patches and agrees with me that it looks deliberate. I've noticed it in King's Lynn (where I live) and in Harlow, where I visit fairly regularly.

Is it me, or does anyone else out there think this may be more than just 'mindless' vandalism?

I think it has got to be more than mindless vandalism. Even in rural North Wiltshire where I live, there is a great deal of broken glass on local lanes. It seems that certain people deliberately throw bottles from cars so that they smash in the road. Is it possible to explain this mentality?
Power to the pedals

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Sep 2012, 11:07pm

jezer wrote: ..............Is it possible to explain this mentality?

Yes but not with words allowed on here.
I'd like to see the culprits picking up the broken glass............

...........in their bare feet :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------

Nettled Shin

Postby Nettled Shin » 5 Sep 2012, 12:07am

Rob Archer wrote:Is it me, or does anyone else out there think this may be more than just 'mindless' vandalism?

I agree that its placement is sometimes spiteful. I've encountered quite a lot of broken bottles recently, and on several occasions the shards have been in one of those cycle bypasses where there is a pedestrian reservation or a chicane in the road, so there could be no escape. I was only contemplating this a day or two ago, and I reckon the glass is always from a lager bottle. I don't think I've ever seen a broken wine bottle/jam jar/fish tank in the road. Would it be difficult to introduce a law that beer bottles have to made from the glass that granulates? I think that many pubs now have to use drinks glasses that granulate to make it harder for punters to kill each other. Is there any problem with recycling that type of glass? The other source is, I think, from shattered wing mirrors, which don't seem to get the same heat treatment as windows and windscreens.

I know cycle paths are generally useless, and an excellent way of taking twice as long to get somewhere, but the huge amount of debris on them is also a big put-off for me.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 5 Sep 2012, 9:02am

Cycle tracks have their place if your aim is to go out for a ride rather than get somewhere fast - which for a lot us, that's the aim. But the bad surfaces and glass don't help :(

iviehoff

Postby iviehoff » 5 Sep 2012, 1:42pm

Here in central London the main scatterers of glass on the road, as far as I can see, are the council's contracted waste collectors. Restaurants etc chuck large amounts of glass bottles into their waste, and the equipment for storing/collecting it means that often the collection leaves behind a little pile of crushed glass (mixed with putrid stinking liquid).

Though at least the council sweeps the streets fairly regularly in central London. When I commuted in Birmingham, the streets uniformly glittered from edge to edge at night with uncountable little shards of glass, like mica in granite, and I suffered punctures at the rate of 1 per 2 months on 60 miles a week of commuting.

rjb wrote:Some bright spark in the Somerset highways dept decided to dispose of recycled glass by mixing it with tarmac and spreading it on the roads. ... This was a fairy hazard to cyclists who gave up using the road but also had the locals up in arms as well especially dog walkers and horse riders.

Not the only one. I recently walked on a minor road in Buckinghamshire which suffered the same treatment and same degradation.

Fasgadh

Postby Fasgadh » 5 Sep 2012, 7:06pm

I have a problem seeing the broken glass - at this time of year it is often hidden under hedgetrimmings.