Has this country had it

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mac111051

Has this country had it

Postby mac111051 » 15 Sep 2012, 3:27pm

Just makes you wonder if this country can ever be fixed
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/crim ... ton-canal/

kwackers

Re: Has this country had it

Postby kwackers » 15 Sep 2012, 3:37pm

There are examples of stuff like that in any country, just doesn't make headline news.

Pretty appalling though.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Sep 2012, 4:04pm

I ride towpaths quite a bit and I've never had a problem.
That said it sounds like an appalling attack and something that can completely ruin someone's life through fear of it happening again.
I'd say someone knows who these oinks are as they're probably local,people like that like to brag about their exploits so like scum should come upto the surface sooner or later,that's if the police are interested in catching them :?
The problem is what will happen if they're caught? a slap on the wrists and told not to do it again. :|

The question was,has this country had it?
If it's not it's gone a long way toward it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 15 Sep 2012, 4:20pm

I was attacked in a similar manner last week. Nothing to do with cycling; we were all pedestrians on a road-side footway. I won't give details as I am hoping for a prosecution, but it ended with them running away from me. I was physically unharmed but am still very shakey.

I was heartened by two car drivers who stopped and offered me assistance.

The police knew who the thugs were from my description.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Sep 2012, 4:49pm

snibgo wrote:I was attacked in a similar manner last week. Nothing to do with cycling; we were all pedestrians on a road-side footway. I won't give details as I am hoping for a prosecution, but it ended with them running away from me. I was physically unharmed but am still very shakey.

I was heartened by two car drivers who stopped and offered me assistance.

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope you have a satisfactory result.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 15 Sep 2012, 5:12pm

Answer to the question - no! There are plenty of these scum about and the answer is to avoid the places they frequent. Unfortunately, that isn't possible for many people. We had a small group of such people here but concerted action by the police and the community curbed them and many have ended up behind bars. You hear a lot of waffle from the so called gubment about this but no action. It's only when whole communities are prepared to stand up to them in big numbers these cowards retreat.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 15 Sep 2012, 6:37pm

For me, the best result would be that the thugs turn into decent members of society. I don't know how to achieve that. It would partly depend on why my attackers are thugs. As a woolly liberal, I fear that prison would make them more effective thugs.

Every case is different, and my sympathies go to the cyclist in the OP's link.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 15 Sep 2012, 6:50pm

snibgo wrote:For me, the best result would be that the thugs turn into decent members of society. ...

Even if that were to happen, you would probably never find out. In the meantime, "getting away with it" might make them even more confident next time, while a custodial sentence probably guarantees there will be a next time for somebody.

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 15 Sep 2012, 9:42pm

Definitely not limited to the UK. One of the reasons we went south around Montpellier on our recent trip to Perpignan was a report of other diagonalistes being set on in the suburbs. I reckon that in the end it comes down to too many people and not enough jobs, and a sense in the less-intelligent young unemployed that they're despised and somehow victimized by older people. Years ago a neighbour of ours was held up at knifepoint in his own garden, a good 25 km north of Paris, by yobs who started their spiel with "so what have you got against the young?" before nicking his wallet: amazingly, they didn't cut him.

I doubt if things will change before the economy improves by 100% or so. And that's not about to happen.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Sep 2012, 9:52pm

Audax67 wrote:Definitely not limited to the UK. One of the reasons we went south around Montpellier on our recent trip to Perpignan was a report of other diagonalistes being set on in the suburbs. I reckon that in the end it comes down to too many people and not enough jobs, and a sense in the less-intelligent young unemployed that they're despised and somehow victimized by older people. Years ago a neighbour of ours was held up at knifepoint in his own garden, a good 25 km north of Paris, by yobs who started their spiel with "so what have you got against the young?" before nicking his wallet: amazingly, they didn't cut him.

I doubt if things will change before the economy improves by 100% or so. And that's not about to happen.

There's a saying "the devil* makes work for idle hands" I believe it to be true.

*I preferre to use the word "evil" rather than "the devil" as it personifies bad/wrong etc,therebye shifting the blaim to some unknown force.
The inability to earn one's own living in the world robs people of dignity and is therefore an evil.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 17 Sep 2012, 12:08pm

Try plotting 'Thuggery' against solar flare activity.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Sep 2012, 7:27pm

Ayesha wrote:Try plotting 'Thuggery' against solar flare activity.

A bit cryptic,could you elaborate?

Mark1978

Has this country had it

Postby Mark1978 » 17 Sep 2012, 8:13pm

Perhaps that you can 'prove' a correlation between any two things which are blatantly unrelated.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 17 Sep 2012, 8:40pm

snibgo wrote:

Unfortunately there is a very small minority that causes most of the trouble.

When I lived in a small village near Cambridge there were two "likely lads" - if they were locked up then the Police knew that there would be no burglaries, vandalism, or other problems, but as soon as they were back out, there was need for a much higher presence.

I hate to think what they cost us in Police wages over the years

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 18 Sep 2012, 9:40am

reohn2 wrote:
Ayesha wrote:Try plotting 'Thuggery' against solar flare activity.

A bit cryptic,could you elaborate?

Loose or no correlation:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?co ... moothing=3
Last edited by Audax67 on 18 Sep 2012, 10:04am, edited 2 times in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?