University Project - Product to Improve Cyclist Safety

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
freeflow

Re: University Project - Product to Improve Cyclist Safety

Post by freeflow »

Small scanning devices attached to the front and rear of the car developed to recognise proximity to cyclists. If a car approaches a cyclist too fast and too closely the brakes clamp on and 50,000 volts gets put through the driver seat. Ohh err, got carried away there. Actually meant to say a voice alerts the driver using an appropriately strict voice.

-------------------------------------------------------------
by Mick F: edited to remove thinly disguised swearing.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

An electric display on the cyclists back which lights up saying..
If you overtake here, you'll be videoed..

That'd larn 'em..
honesty

Post by honesty »

Flip the idea, rather than something that fits to the bicycle how about something thats fitted to motor vehicles that detects bikes? Maybe with a warning indicator if the car overtakes too closely.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

honesty wrote:Flip the idea, rather than something that fits to the bicycle how about something thats fitted to motor vehicles that detects bikes? Maybe with a warning indicator if the car overtakes too closely.

And something that alerts them to those pedestrians they're going to kill. Pedestrians have rights too :shock:

Though to be fair, the five pedestrians who've been run over within 2.5 miles of my home, during the past twelve months weren't killed (They were only run over, in broad daylight, in fine conditions, on empty country and/or country market town roads).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I have to agree - make it cheap enough that it can be fitted to cars be default. A big spike in the steering wheel might concentrate their minds...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

The spike has a big snag. Driver is going too quickly, and sees a cyclist in front. But his steering wheel is fitted with a spike. What's he gonna do?
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

A device which renders all internal combustion engines useless within a 1 mile radius when I'm using my bike.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

snibgo wrote:The spike has a big snag. Driver is going too quickly

hopefully, he wouldn't be going to fast to start with
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

gaz wrote:
WaterLab Rat wrote:.... At other times I have thought if there was some way of displaying your speed to other road users they might think twice before moving into the path of the 'slow bicycle' doing 20+ mph....

I'm sure I've read about a "speed display vest" before either on the forum of in Cycle. I'll have a search around and see if I can come up with anything.

Found it, Speed Vest.

I have just seen on the CTC home page that someone is already doing a scanning laser as I described as well.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Or maybe what we need to invent is 'more police'.

Or just 'police who give a damn about non lethal road incidents'
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Actually the device I want:

Dual cameras which can be left on the bike/body.
cabled back to a recording unit with an sd slot - nice big button to record, run from USB power and/or AA(A) batteries.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Not cycling safety but what about cycle security. An unstealable bicycle would itself increase cycling.
basingstoke123

Post by basingstoke123 »

SleepyJoe wrote:Instead of a spike on the end of a stick, I have often thought that a paint ball automatically triggered by a proximity sensor would automatically let motorist know when they are too close!
Even better would be a vertical array which could print (dot matrix style) a suitable message.
Of course it would have to weigh nothing.
Mark

I've had similar thoughts from time to time. It would also have to tell the difference between when I get close to something as opposed to something getting too close to me. Wouldn't want it painting/printing/scratching my own car as I squeeze past it to set off :!:
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Now where, in the last couple of days, have I seen an article that shows some device that uses a lazer to project some image onto the road, supposedly to make the driver want to leave a wider passing space?
On the web, this week, must be a cycling forum.