First visitation of the year

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: First visitation of the year

Postby reohn2 » 1 Nov 2012, 8:57am

Three this year,two thorns(one a bl@@dy big one) one uknown (in and out) but suspect microlith or glass and that particular tyre was getting to the end of it's life.
This is 33 1/3% more than usual though the causes are the same.
-----------------------------------------------------------

meic

Postby meic » 1 Nov 2012, 11:31am

Putting on my maths teacher's hat, isnt that 50% more than usual?

Sorry to be fussy but just trying to do my bit to correct the failure of maths teaching that has blighted the country over the past century.
Yma o Hyd

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 1 Nov 2012, 12:57pm

meic wrote:Putting on my maths teacher's hat, isnt that 50% more than usual?

Sorry to be fussy but just trying to do my bit to correct the failure of maths teaching that has blighted the country over the past century.

n = Target + n.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 1 Nov 2012, 2:17pm

Depends 0 if the average is 2/year then yes, if it's one every 5 months, then he might be right ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Nov 2012, 3:53pm

OK,wot me shud 'ave sed wuz a uzuly get too but 'ad 3 :oops:

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 1 Nov 2012, 5:32pm

Do you have a Quick Service Fix?
What's your Permanent Remedial Action?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Nov 2012, 5:38pm

Ayesha wrote:Do you have a Quick Service Fix?

2 spare tubes a tyre boot and puncture oufit if things turn out for the worst :shock:
What's your Permanent Remedial Action?

not to worry too much :D

hexhome

Postby hexhome » 5 Nov 2012, 9:31am

2 - same week! A little scarey discussing this with two months to go!

Fasgadh

Postby Fasgadh » 13 Nov 2012, 8:51pm

Agreed re checking the glue. Got a wee visit after riding down the Strathblane section of the West Highland Way - an old railway. First in a while - the glue had gone, solvent evaporated. OK there was the spare - but of course I had loaded up the MTB spare in error. Got home by wrapping the PVC tape I use to stop batteries shorting around the patch and confounded the blighter. Always worth checking that your fairy repellent is up to date. Lesson learned (as was the one about taking the appropriate inner tube!)

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 13 Nov 2012, 11:29pm

If you leave it on the bike it's always there...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 15 Nov 2012, 9:36pm

hexhome wrote:2 - same week! A little scarey discussing this with two months to go!

2 in the same day ! Tuesday , got 2 hours overtime rounded off with a flat going in and the spare tube had ruptured in the bike shed . left the house at 5.45 am and got back after 7.15 pm :cry:

Most of my flats are from the 1 mile stretch of cyclepath i use to go to work , its covered in crud and glass shards regularly.Its risk the path or risk a 3 lane roundabout where everyone just uses whatever lane they like to get where they are going and its scary enough in a vehicle .
Usually i get at least 6 a year even with resistant tyre and i check every week at least for shards in the tyre.

I do not have the clearances to run more than 23 mm unless someone can suggest a tyre that will fit under cruds ?
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 15 Nov 2012, 10:12pm

I don't know how many miles I've done this year (4 or 5 thousand?). I need new batteries for my computer :oops:

I had been entirely free of visitations until September. I had one puncture, then, and realised that my tyres were knackered. I tried unsuccessfully to get more Conti 4 seasons and rode around getting punctures on their replacements (2 in one week!). :evil: Now that I am on winter tyres, I and thus far free again (touch wood!).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

fatty

Postby fatty » 15 Nov 2012, 10:42pm

+5 this year
First one was on a dahon folder and didn't have spanner to get back wheel off.. 2 mile walk grr
Second was a piece of glass that sliced the cheapo kenda's on my new claud butler and wrote it off
Third was probably glass on the tpt doing the c2c near Manchester in the rain...
Fourth was fifteen minutes after third, bent valve I think I was too tired to check.
Fifth was a pinch flat on awful section of tpt over wood head...
Got home fitted gatorskins and I'm not saying anything else.