Can happen to any of us - Wiggo down...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

danfoto

Re: Can happen to any of us - Wiggo down...

Postby danfoto » 8 Nov 2012, 7:07am

Stand by for the inevitable crusading about magic hats then :roll:

It's going to be interesting to get the facts about this one in due course, but I can't help feeling sorry for anybody else who was involved in an accident yesterday whose misfortune will be ignored because their name isn't Wiggins ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Geriatrix

Postby Geriatrix » 8 Nov 2012, 7:30am

Not much info on his injuries as yet other than it seems like he has broken ribs. I hope there's nothing more serious.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman

Graham O

Postby Graham O » 8 Nov 2012, 7:52am

But at least the driver of the vehicle involved is unhurt. Thanks BBC, that's really important and not unusual when a ton of metal meets a cyclist.

And now they are saying "he collided with a van". Does that imply he was the one who hit the other vehicle? Or am I over analysing it?

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Nov 2012, 8:16am

It implies lazy journalism, and he possibly did run into the side of the van, that's what happens when someone pulls out in front of you leaving you with nowhere to go.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

meic

Postby meic » 8 Nov 2012, 8:21am

I guess that if he did run into a vehicle that pulled out of a petrol station forecourt, which is the impression that I got from what I read, then that would be a fair description of what occurred.
However reports seem a bit contradictory.

From a link posted by Scottmac
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/wiggins ... -1-5102981

One assumes that Bradley is perfectly capable of doing a similar speed to the motorised traffic, approaching 30 mph, which would hurt.

The information that the occupant of the car is unhurt is superfluous to the point of being ridiculous.
Yma o Hyd

Edwards

Postby Edwards » 8 Nov 2012, 8:23am

Graham O wrote:And now they are saying "he collided with a van". Does that imply he was the one who hit the other vehicle? Or am I over analysing it

No it says "He was in a collision with"

Totally different.

[XAP]Bob wrote:It implies lazy journalism, and he possibly did run into the side of the van

It says Astra Car.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Nov 2012, 8:26am

Oops, only skimmed the article as I fell asleep yesterday...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

meic

Postby meic » 8 Nov 2012, 8:28am

The articles are contradictory on that point, you are both right about what you have read.
Yma o Hyd

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 8 Nov 2012, 8:28am

Actually I read a different article which stated
The incident happened on Crow Orchard Road, close to the junction with Mossy Lea Road, at 6pm on Wednesday evening, when a white Astra van pulled off a filling station forecourt and collided with the cyclist

honesty

Postby honesty » 8 Nov 2012, 8:32am

BBC wrote: A Lancashire police spokesman told BBC Sport: "He was taken to hospital with injuries that are not thought to be life-threatening. His condition is stable.

"His family have made aware of what has happened. The driver of the Astra car is a local woman who was not injured but she is helping police with inquiries."

A police spokesman said this. Its not the Beebs words...

johncarnie

Postby johncarnie » 8 Nov 2012, 8:33am

As usual, depending on which journalist you are reading there are different stories - does he have broken ribs, was it as a result of shaving off his sideburns? Hopefully he's OK and will make a full recovery. But pity the poor van? driver - can you see the Sun headline "White Van (Wo)man mows down Wiggo!" (I'm sure they will come up with some awful pun - but I can't think of one at the moment)

Dynamite_funk

Bradley Wiggins injured on training ride

Postby Dynamite_funk » 8 Nov 2012, 8:33am

If this doesnt change the government's approach to road safety for cyclists what will?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20246940

kwackers

Postby kwackers » 8 Nov 2012, 8:33am

On the beeb this morning they've already added the rider that wiggins is big on cyclists safety and says that helmet wearing must be mandated as per seatbelts.

And then a bit later showed some stock footage of him cycling on the road with his hat hanging off the handlebars...

Graham O

Postby Graham O » 8 Nov 2012, 8:37am

Edwards wrote:
No it says "He was in a collision with"

Totally different.

No, "collided with a van" came from Radio 2 news.