Aberdeen Cyclist Killed

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
The Mechanic

Aberdeen Cyclist Killed

Post by The Mechanic »

A cyclist was killed in Aberdeen last night on a busy roundabout. News says a collision with HGV tractor unit but not much in the way of details on the web. :( No name either but sympathies to the family.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-20419642
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
hexhome

Re: Aberdeen Cyclist Killed

Post by hexhome »

More here - http://news.stv.tv/north/201757-cyclist ... -aberdeen/

It makes me feel so sad when totally unnecessary tragedies like this occur. Obviously we don't know the causes but it seems clear to me that someone was not concentrating on the job of driving safely.

I also wonder looking at the pictures whether the 'blind spot' created by the new mirror requirements could be a factor. When entering a roundabout, they often block the view of traffic to the front right unless the driver makes a concious effort to double check.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

RIP condolances to family and friends
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

hexhome wrote:More here - http://news.stv.tv/north/201757-cyclist ... -aberdeen/

It makes me feel so sad when totally unnecessary tragedies like this occur. Obviously we don't know the causes but it seems clear to me that someone was not concentrating on the job of driving safely.

I also wonder looking at the pictures whether the 'blind spot' created by the new mirror requirements could be a factor. When entering a roundabout, they often block the view of traffic to the front right unless the driver makes a concious effort to double check.

We'll be calling for them to be 50% mirrors soon...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Sad news indeed and condolences to family.

For once i notice the wording was 'hit by' rather than 'in collision with'
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
sarahinaberdeen

Post by sarahinaberdeen »

The man killed was a contractor in my husband's office, though he was at another company on the same site last week. The information my husband heard (which obviously may not be correct) is that he was going straight on at the roundabout (up the hill heading north) and a HGV also going straight on swung out to the left to take a wider line.

My husband's colleagues are shocked, of course. The company is quite encouraging to cycle commuting (underground parking, showers, lockers, pro-active security guards) and have an active corporate cycling club. They are looking into installing a ghost bike, providing his family agree.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 22 years, I never have and would never ride on Anderson Drive. I had assumed he was crossing the Drive on Kings Gate.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

The Mechanic wrote:Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 22 years, I never have and would never ride on Anderson Drive. I had assumed he was crossing the Drive on Kings Gate.

Possibly, but lots of us do cycle on this and similar routes and should have the right to do so without fear of being mown down by inattentive drivers. I get a little upset at comments following a tragedy such as this, which suggest that 'the cyclists shouldn't have been there'. This was a regular response when Dan Harris was killed recently. Roads are dangerous because of poor driving standards. The more we cycle on them, the safer they will become as drivers learn to expect cyclists.

Sorry, not having a go at you, just the way I feel about this type of response.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

hexhome wrote:
The Mechanic wrote:Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 22 years, I never have and would never ride on Anderson Drive. I had assumed he was crossing the Drive on Kings Gate.

Possibly, but lots of us do cycle on this and similar routes and should have the right to do so without fear of being mown down by inattentive drivers. I get a little upset at comments following a tragedy such as this, which suggest that 'the cyclists shouldn't have been there'. This was a regular response when Dan Harris was killed recently. Roads are dangerous because of poor driving standards. The more we cycle on them, the safer they will become as drivers learn to expect cyclists.

Sorry, not having a go at you, just the way I feel about this type of response.

No probs and sorry if my comments appeared a little insensitive. Not my intention at all. I think we, as cyclists, are caught between a rock and a hard place. If we cycle on busy roads we are at risk, if we don't, we risk loosing the option.