London Edinburgh London 1400km audax

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
vorsprung

London Edinburgh London 1400km audax

Post by vorsprung »

Entries for the 2013 London - Edinburgh - London 1400km audax open tomorrow.

My blog here https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2013/01/ ... gh-london/ has an account of how it went for me in 2005, in case anyone is curious about how these rides work
meic

Re: London Edinburgh London 1400km audax

Post by meic »

I had no intention of entering this event but I do think it rather sad that only those who have private access to computers were able to enter.
Like many other aspects of modern life, those without their own broadband connection were disenfranchised.

It will however help to remove those pesky old beardies who were ruining Audax's image.
Yma o Hyd
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Why dies it require private access? Friends and libraries are both able to provide connections....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Why dies it require private access? Friends and libraries are both able to provide connections....

...and my understanding from another forum was, that you needed to be on line at silly o'clock... not exactly friend or library friendly hours.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So it sells out in ten minutes at 10pm.

That's not silly O'Clock - it's late-ish, but most friends/family would be happy to oblige. Or any number of internet cafes (or stop a random teenager on the street)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
philg

Post by philg »

Well actually AIUI it sold out around 9am the following morning.

Despite looking forward to my 4th PBP in 2015, for reasons I do not understand, I have never felt the slightest temptation to enter this event :?
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:I had no intention of entering this event but I do think it rather sad that only those who have private access to computers were able to enter.
Like many other aspects of modern life, those without their own broadband connection were disenfranchised.

It will however help to remove those pesky old beardies who were ruining Audax's image.

FWIW, my Inlaw Paw is 95 and uses his computer quite happily. And I'm a pestiferous old beardie who builds web-sites from scratch, designs 3D surveying systems for city councils, and who organizes and road-captains four or five Audaxes a year.

How many have you organized?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
meic

Post by meic »

Why do you start the personal assault?

I have a computer with broadband, I wasnt raising this issue for MY benefit.
Yma o Hyd
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:Why do you start the personal assault?

I have a computer with broadband, I wasnt raising this issue for MY benefit.

On behalf of all pesky old beardies who "ruin" the image of Audax.
meic

Post by meic »

Sorry, my sarcastic and ironic wit doesnt quite come through on the computer.

I consider myself as one of the pesky old beardies who ruin the image as well.
Yma o Hyd
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Couldn't get a connection?
Sold out?
Missed the deadline?

Organise yourself a DIY. They are, after all, public roads.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

meic wrote:Sorry, my sarcastic and ironic wit doesnt quite come through on the computer.

Common error - normally resolved with the yellow circles on the left :wink: :lol:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

meic wrote:Sorry, my sarcastic and ironic wit doesnt quite come through on the computer.

That struck me later, but as my wife had just started throwing up with the norovirus I was somewhat distracted from replying. The trouble with living among furriners for 40 years is that such devices as understatement and irony evaporate from the memetic toolbox. Not that the French don't have irony, they just don't expect it from a furriner and so take him literally.

Please consider my earlier reaction as null & void.

Oh good. Of course, it means we have no excuse for carrying straight razors in our HB bags...
Milfred Cubicle

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I do see the point in the original post. I own a computer, have access to broadband etc., but was still unable to get a place, as I was on night shift. After what appeared like brilliant organisation, the sign up time and last minute changes did seem a little odd.
I would have been more than happy to send a cheque months ago, have them cash it, then stick my name in a computerised hat along with everyone else. I think that's what happens with the Great North Run. Or perhaps a bettter way would have been to release say 300 places per day, spread over the weekend?
I volunteered at the last event, and don't want to be too critical in light of the organisers' considerable efforts. As it stands, I'm on the reserve list, and if I don't get a place will be helping out. I'd encourage anybody to do the same, because it's a brilliant, cosmopolitan event. Yes, it's not P.B.P., and some naysayers will always claim that we don't have a cycling culture in this country. Judging by the demand for places, I'd say that might be about to change. L.E.L. 2017? 2000 riders? 4000? Whyever not?
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that if you volunteered at the last event you were guaranteed a place on this one?
Yma o Hyd