Help: How to push the a folded Brompton?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Highkicker79

Help: How to push the a folded Brompton?

Postby Highkicker79 » 13 Jan 2013, 11:24am

Hi. I've purchased a 2nd hand Brompton which came with the Brompton Easy Wheels (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bro ... k-ec027824). Up until now, I've only needed to ride it and stow it away in it's complete folded form. This has worked great and I love it.

However, the other day I needed to do a tube journey with the Brompton and a couple of bags. I thought it would be fine as I would get a chance to use the trolley mode with the Easy Wheels. Here lies the disaster. In order to use the trolley mode, I pulled up the seat post so which would become the handle of the trolley. I first of all tried pulling it. The problem is, the normally comfortable angle to pull it (like a holiday luggage bag) is too much of an angle as the suspension block will touch the ground and scrape. The maximum angle that it can be pulled is not that great so it feels unstable and uncomfortable.

I then tried pushing it which was even worse. It was awkward and kept tilting left and right due to the stability. At one point, it tilted so far on one side that the front wheel latch unhooked from the frame and it started to unfold (this only happens because the seat post was extended, when it is stowed it locks the frame together).

I must be doing something wrong. Can someone please show or describe how they successfully use this mode? There must be a knack to it which I cannot understand at the moment.

Not sure if it matters or it makes things awkward but I'm quite tall (6' 2").

TIA

hexhome

Re: Help: How to push the a folded Brompton?

Postby hexhome » 13 Jan 2013, 12:39pm

You pull with the handlebars or the front bag handle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tX_VmOTTtE

Highkicker79

Postby Highkicker79 » 13 Jan 2013, 2:16pm

hexhome wrote:You pull with the handlebars or the front bag handle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tX_VmOTTtE

Doh. That makes more sense, no wonder it was all going wrong for me. Thanks very much for the video link.

Quaker Mike

Postby Quaker Mike » 13 Jan 2013, 3:30pm

Highkicker, you may find, when wheeling this way, that if you push the saddle right down, the bottom end of the seat post can catch the ground, particularly on uneven surfaces. If so, just raise the saddle a little - not too much, or it won't lock the folded frame - and then clamp it again.

Highkicker79

Postby Highkicker79 » 13 Jan 2013, 4:31pm

Quaker Mike wrote:Highkicker, you may find, when wheeling this way, that if you push the saddle right down, the bottom end of the seat post can catch the ground, particularly on uneven surfaces. If so, just raise the saddle a little - not too much, or it won't lock the folded frame - and then clamp it again.

Thanks, that's a great tip.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 13 Jan 2013, 6:40pm

Another tip, particularly if you are tall is to fit the Brompton handlebar brace. It was intended to reinforce early bars which had a tendency to fail but fits the current bars and makes a convenient pulling handle spanning between the tops of the bars. It weights next to nothing too.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-xba ... -prod6107/

Highkicker79

Postby Highkicker79 » 13 Jan 2013, 9:16pm

TonyR wrote:Another tip, particularly if you are tall is to fit the Brompton handlebar brace. It was intended to reinforce early bars which had a tendency to fail but fits the current bars and makes a convenient pulling handle spanning between the tops of the bars. It weights next to nothing too.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-xba ... -prod6107/

Another great tip. I'll look into it. For only £10 it's worth doing :-)

SJSBrompton

Postby SJSBrompton » 13 Jan 2013, 9:22pm

A telescopic seat post is handy if you envisage doing this regularly. You can lower the first part of the post to lock the fold, but leave the second part up with the saddle. Only works on smooth surface, but was okay at Victoria station and into shops there.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 13 Jan 2013, 10:01pm

SJSBrompton wrote:A telescopic seat post is handy if you envisage doing this regularly. You can lower the first part of the post to lock the fold, but leave the second part up with the saddle. Only works on smooth surface, but was okay at Victoria station and into shops there.

Even with the second part fully up, with the first part down far enough to lock the saddle you're going to be bent over double to push it by the saddle unless you are exceptionally short.