'Best' combination lock?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sooper8

'Best' combination lock?

Post by Sooper8 »

I have been reading the reviews on Amazon etc but just wanted a few thoughts/opinions on the 'best' deal on a combination lock.

Few things to consider- I don't expect it to withstand concerted attempts (ie angle grinder or long arm cutters) but it has to do the job to deter and prevent theft.

Ideally no shorter than 180cm.

It must be a combination (I don't trust myself with keys)

And if it attaches to the frame or is retractable and will fit in small bag then all the better.

And finally, it can't be more than £25 at the very most.

Thanks
iviehoff

Re: 'Best' combination lock?

Post by iviehoff »

Cable locks are only good enough for use in location where premeditated/organised theft is unlikely. People who go around cutting cables to steal bikes carry cutters sufficient to get through any cable much lighter than a U-bar lock. In my experience, bicycle thieves routinely take almost any bicycle locked up with a cable. I've seen the aftermath of many bicycle theft/vandalism incidents, and I've only once seen a cable a thief attempted and failed to cut through, and that one was so thick a U-bar lock would have been lighter (and it wasn't anywhere near 180cm long).

So, beyond those so pathetic you can break with your bare hands, spending more money on a cable lock will not make much difference to the deterrent, and will just increase your financial loss when the cable is cut.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I used a cable lock for years until last week when it failed (key stopped working) and I had to cut it off myself.
I agree they're not as good as a good U lock and since it was a decent one it wasn't any lighter or easier to carry.
But it did have a huge advantage, you could lock your bike to anything - even a tree. A lock isn't much use if you can't use it.

Ultimately though my bike has the ultimate thief deterrent. It's not fashionable. It's a tourer with drop bars, no self respecting thief would be seen dead on it. Making your bike unfashionable/undesirable is as good a deterrent as yo can get, all locks can be cut off if the thief wants the bike.

As a point of note, I've yet to find a combination lock that couldn't be opened by 'feeling' for the combination within a short length of time...
Vladimir

Post by Vladimir »

I think the previous posts say it all really;

You should be carrying two locks - of different kinds.

A U lock will attach to your frame - usually the seat tube is a good place to put it.

Regarding keys, well, I have all my keys together, house keys and bike keys.

They live in the right hand side pocket of my cycling jacket and never come out, except to be used. It's a routine, you get used to it.

And I always know they're there because between my 5 bicycle locks of various descriptions, house keys as well as keys for lockers in a couple of places, it makes for a bulky set of keys - which I only need to rest my hand against my pocket to know they're there.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks all.
Kwackers, I am doing my best on the un-fashionable. It's a beat up looking and scratched 1978 drop bars 'racer' (Viscount 'Sport to be precise), so unless the thief is a discerning vintage/retro connoisseur then they will chose others before mine.

I suppose I was trying to get away from a U lock just for size,and the fact you still need a cable. And aesthetically I don't like the U lock attached to the frame when riding.

Kind of an irony that the more expensive lock is still breakable by thieves determined to have the bike, and then the cost of the lock is up the swanny too.

Vladimir, I am exactly the same when it comes to house & car keys (and a Leatherman Squirt and small LCD torch all on a key ring) I know at all times it's within my right hand pocket, always. But when on my bike, I don't often want to carry all of that around- but sometimes I have to if no one is home. Maybe I need to re-think the 'no key' stance I have, it would open up some more options. Thanks
Last edited by Sooper8 on 14 Jan 2013, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Sooper8 wrote:Vladimir, I am exactly the same when it comes to house & car cars (and a Leatherman Squirt and small LCD torch all on a key ring) I know at all times it's within my right hand pocket, always. But when on my bike, I don't often want to carry all of that around- but sometimes I have to if no one is home. Maybe I need to re-think the 'no key' stance I have, it would open up some more options. Thanks

For "no big bunch of keys" days/trips, I keep just the front doorkey and the bike key in the same space that I put my coins. I have duplicates for this purpose, so that I am not swapping them off the main keyring.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

iviehoff wrote:
Sooper8 wrote:Vladimir, I am exactly the same when it comes to house & car cars (and a Leatherman Squirt and small LCD torch all on a key ring) I know at all times it's within my right hand pocket, always. But when on my bike, I don't often want to carry all of that around- but sometimes I have to if no one is home. Maybe I need to re-think the 'no key' stance I have, it would open up some more options. Thanks

For "no big bunch of keys" days/trips, I keep just the front doorkey and the bike key in the same space that I put my coins. I have duplicates for this purpose, so that I am not swapping them off the main keyring.

I like that idea! Thanks
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Whilst riding the bike I simply left the key in the lock with a tie wrap that looped through the key and through the lock so if it came out it'd stay around.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

kwackers wrote:Whilst riding the bike I simply left the key in the lock with a tie wrap that looped through the key and through the lock so if it came out it'd stay around.

Well I never! Not sure why I never thought of that but it is a great solution! Thank You!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Sooper8 wrote:
kwackers wrote:Whilst riding the bike I simply left the key in the lock with a tie wrap that looped through the key and through the lock so if it came out it'd stay around.

Well I never! Not sure why I never thought of that but it is a great solution! Thank You!

I didn't think of it either - not straight away. First I had to lose my first key... :lol:
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I use these to seperate my keys so I'm not carrying loads unnecessarily
Car/garage key on one side and house + 2 bike lock keys (for seperate lock on another bike) on t'other end.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Release ... 4d057f2ad8
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 14 Jan 2013, 6:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Tonyf33 wrote:I use these to seperate my keys so I'm not carrying loads uneccesarily
Car/garage key on one side and house + 2 bike lock keys (for seperate lock on another bike) on t'other end.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Release ... 4d057f2ad8

That's a pity - they only have pink and gold left! neither are my colour - but I will get a silver one from somewhere no doubt. Great idea.