Long day ride advice - 240 miles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ayesha

Re: Long day ride advice - 240 miles

Post by Ayesha »

Its no good having a really efficient tyre if the road vibration causes numbness in the hands after ten miles. You might have to stop and let your feeling return. While you are stopped, the guys with comfy tyres come riding past.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Ayesha wrote:Its no good having a really efficient tyre if the road vibration causes numbness in the hands after ten miles. You might have to stop and let your feeling return. While you are stopped, the guys with comfy tyres come riding past.

Hi, On my last 24 hr ride a small section off road for two miles with stripped tarmac cause of weather, meant I was fighting for smooth ground and ended up gripping the bars tight so I could keep control :!: I hade to endure every 45 miles out of 300, ended with permanant pain and knumb in left hand. :(
Using 37 mm at 75 psi :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

Ayesha wrote:Its no good having a really efficient tyre if the road vibration causes numbness in the hands after ten miles. You might have to stop and let your feeling return. While you are stopped, the guys with comfy tyres come riding past.

Hm. For me at least, these sorts of issues are 99% position on the bike and 1% vibration. In fact I'm probably being generous: I think they're 100% position.

The bike that I do my longest rides on is an aluminium Cannondale with 23mm tyres at over 100psi and a single layer of unpadded bar tape, and I use unpadded gloves. Which ought to be a perfect storm for numbness, you'd think.

I've done rides up to 350km or so on that with no comfort issues at all. I did have one issue on a 590km ride, which was ulnar nerve numbness (though it only became apparent the day after), but that was entirely attributable to a pressure point where my hand met the bend of the bars while on the tops, and is fixable by making a small angular adjustment to the bar and levers. During the ride itself I didn't have any discomfort at all.

Comparing that bike to the three steel bikes with wider tyres (25/28/37mm) and twangy forks that I've owned over the last 6 or 7 years, with riding positions as closely-matched as I can make them so the differences are as attributable to the bike as possible, whenever I've looked at the numbers those bikes come out significantly more effort to ride than the Cannondale. Depending on the setup, up to 10% more. Clearly that's not solely attributable to tyres - the steel bikes are heavier and less stiff - but the tyres are certainly a significant factor.

So for me, a stiff bike and narrow tyres gives significant performance advantages without compromising comfort in the slightest. YMMV, natch. If there are comfort issues I'd always look at position, not damping.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

stewartpratt wrote:

Hm. For me at least, these sorts of issues are 99% position on the bike and 1% vibration. In fact I'm probably being generous: I think they're 100% position.

The bike that I do my longest rides on is an aluminium Cannondale with 23mm tyres at over 100psi and a single layer of unpadded bar tape, and I use unpadded gloves. Which ought to be a perfect storm for numbness, you'd think.

I've done rides up to 350km or so on that with no comfort issues at all. I did have one issue on a 590km ride, which was ulnar nerve numbness (though it only became apparent the day after), but that was entirely attributable to a pressure point where my hand met the bend of the bars while on the tops, and is fixable by making a small angular adjustment to the bar and levers. During the ride itself I didn't have any discomfort at all.

Comparing that bike to the three steel bikes with wider tyres (25/28/37mm) and twangy forks that I've owned over the last 6 or 7 years, with riding positions as closely-matched as I can make them so the differences are as attributable to the bike as possible, whenever I've looked at the numbers those bikes come out significantly more effort to ride than the Cannondale. Depending on the setup, up to 10% more. Clearly that's not solely attributable to tyres - the steel bikes are heavier and less stiff - but the tyres are certainly a significant factor.

So for me, a stiff bike and narrow tyres gives significant performance advantages without compromising comfort in the slightest. YMMV, natch. If there are comfort issues I'd always look at position, not damping.

I think you over simplify. I have done 24 hr TTs several 12 hr TTs , Paris Brest Paris and had no problems on these rides but in 2 rides on holidays , one about 100 miles and another only 50 miles I got bad Ulnar nerve problems that took months to clear up, a big factor in these are fused vertabrae from rugby injuries in my neck
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Having sufered something similar on motorbikes where after just one hour your hands feel like tunning forks, tap them and they ring, like you can feel the vibes for a second or so :( Also have suffered same on a bicycle.
It might just be several things all mount up, I would lean also to some high vibration which will only exist at a higher speed, I dont get any problem on my MTB on off road all weekend camping :?: That harsh low frequency on railway tracks with boulders, but tends to lead to general fatique, not pain in hands.
Road surface finish must play some part.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Are there no other tyre recommendations out there for this ride. I have looked again at the GP4000s. and may give them ashot but a 25 tyre doesn't seem right to me on a chunky steel frame - burly wrestler in ballet shoes analagy in my head :)

donnieban
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Well, why not compromise and use Ribmo 28mm if they will fit your rims. Because of the profile of the tyre there is only a very narrow strip in contact with the road. They'd certainly look better on your chunky frame if it bothers you. And personally I find them an excellent tyre. I don't know if they are over-engineered but I prefer them to the Paselas I had before - to me they roll just as well but are more comfortable. They are a little heavier than the paselas but the sidewalls are less fragile.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

Remember a bicycle is '5 points of contact'.
Shorts, sorted.
Hands, sorted.

Feet, Adidas cushioned running socks.
donnieban

Post by donnieban »

Ayesha wrote:Remember a bicycle is '5 points of contact'.
Shorts, sorted.
Hands, sorted.

Don't think the socks will make or break this ride :roll:

Two GP 4000s tyres on order - still undecided on the bib shorts...
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

donnieban wrote:
Ayesha wrote:Remember a bicycle is '5 points of contact'.
Shorts, sorted.
Hands, sorted.

Don't think the socks will make or break this ride :roll:

Two GP 4000s tyres on order - still undecided on the bib shorts...

On your feet, be it......

Don't come running to me when you've excruciating 'hot foot'.