Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by Mark1978 »

Flinders wrote:I'm currently defeated by weather ((floods, snow and ice) work (too much to do and a big deadline approaching) and now the ice is finally gone, high winds.
I don't remember a year when I've got out on the bike less, and Im getting depressingly fat. :(

Same. I even found walking a chore today :(
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I got about 30 miles in today; very blustery, floods to bypass, but the sun was shining and it wasn't freezing, so all in all it was a nice day for a ride.

I went without my saddlebag, which was a mistake; I noticed when I came out of a shop with bags of shopping and had no means of carrying it. Where there is a will, there is a way... I rode 15 miles home with all kinds of stuff down my jersey, looking like some mutant quasimodo... :roll: I had to climb off to walk around floods etc, and every time I did, things came dropping out from beneath my jacket... :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My best year out of the last 10 was 11,700 km in 2007, and I call myself a long-distance cyclist. But there's an old chap lives near here who rides a local cycle track about 10 km each way, about three or four times a day. That's 60 to 80 km, day in, day out. He probably doesn't ride in snow, ice or heavy rain, but I've met him in light rain often enough. Supposing he rides the shorter distance 300 days a year, that's 18,000 km. And kinda humbling.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:......... so I do need a kick up the bum to get out and ride.

I'm struggling as to why you'd need any encouragement,the journey is the reward :)

What ways do other folk employ to give them the "kick" to get out and ride?

I don't need any "kicks",I get them by riding.

I've had an enforced lay off cycling due Mrs R2 being ill and I've been climbing the walls.
I did 112miles in December,which isn't much at all for me.I consoled myself that with the weather being so bad I wasn't missing much,all the time knowing I was.
Today was the first time I've ridden this month(26miles) in 20mph winds and loved every minute of it,all the time cursing my lack of fitness and the 5kgs I've put on through not riding,even though I've been watching what I eat :evil: .
If you like cycling,you'll enjoy riding.
Could there be some underlying problem that's stopping you?

BTW I don't do spread sheets(unless I'm making the bed) or any online record system other than my ride diary,in pencil,which states how far and where,and records the wind and temperature.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

My daily average for the month is 15.48 miles over the 31 days of January which according to the abacus is 480.71, I'm a bit miffed I didn't hit the 500 mile mark though but feel better knowing I hit 773.63km :lol:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

902 which is 29.09.... not quite the 930 and 30/day aimed for...
But I really did not fancy trying to tag an extra 28 miles onto my commute at 5pm yesterday when I was only 7 miles from home and all the idiot commuters were on the roads :D
But then am on target for 10k this year....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

eileithyia wrote:902 which is 29.09.... not quite the 930 and 30/day aimed for.

:shock:. Quite some distance!

I managed ten and a half miles yesterday :oops: . Albeit with 22kg's+ of shopping on the way back, contained in two 40 litre ortliebs.

But having had a relaxed two months and a couple of short months prior to that (Rather than the 100+ mile rides of September), I'm still on target to drop 16.2kgs by the end of February. Only need to drop bpm at rest from 48bpm ( :oops: ) to a more suitable 40-42 and I'll be ready for the summer :D.

Moved the road bike out of the spare bedroom last night :D
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

When I get regular exercise I have more motivation and energy than when I don't. the problem with that is a few days without exercise can become a vicious circle... it's hard to find the motivation and energy to get out, even knowing it will improve my outlook...

It takes enough longer for me to get to work on snow and ice that I can't do it every day at the moment. But I also use the gym a couple of times each week.

Tell Mrs. Mick F to give you the kick up the backside? ;)

Or use a reward system... no stops in the pub until you've done the 10 miles. :lol:

p.s. 20 miles yesterday, but it was a slog. Roads and cycle paths were slushy and puddled, and it was windy. My 20 miles took roughly 3 hours travel time. And I loved every minute of it. I especially liked having some Norwegians tell me I was crazy for cycling in that weather. At only 3, we had the lowest number of bikes I've ever seen in the cycle racks at work.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:When I get regular exercise I have more motivation and energy than when I don't. the problem with that is a few days without exercise can become a vicious circle... it's hard to find the motivation and energy to get out, even knowing it will improve my outlook...

Some ten years ago I had a breakdown(pressure of work)during that time I would get ready to ride and then couldn't face it,until one day decided I'd force myself to go out,two miles down the road I found I was enjoying it.
It subsequently happened quite a bit but invariably whenever "pushed through" and rode I always enjoyed it and felt better for :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I managed it! :D
318.05miles ........ 10.26mpd.

Off out soon, but not very far. I'll do the 10miles ok, I only need to do 2miles today to stay on my 10mpd target, but it's too easy to slip back.

Not feeling too well at the mo, going down with another cold. I blame Mrs Mick F for this, she works at the local school with all the snotty kids. :wink: Busy at the weekend, so by the time I get back on the road, I'll be in deficit again unless I do 30 or 40 miles today.

Eileithyia.
You are an absolute marvel! What a star! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

My other half reckons I suffer from 'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder'!
Not quite up to Eileithyia's standards though - 814 for January.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I have a monthly mileage target, which I set for myself last April or thereabouts when my cycling mileage started to each meaningful figures (as recently as Xmas '11 I still regarded ten miles as a long ride). A fairly modest 400 a month - without commuting by bike (which is very difficult for me most days) and a family, it's hard to find the time for much more.

This January, I managed 375 miles. I was very pleased with that, given the fact that two weeks were lost to bad weather. Of course, a reasonable chunk of those miles were done on the turbo trainer in the garage (and if there's a more soul-destroying activity,I don't want to know about it; but I gritted my teeth and got on with it as I needed the boost to my fitness level).
ianr1950

Post by ianr1950 »

Most of my mileage this month has been on my i flow. Riding in the Dordogne and the Black Forest, I have clocked up 21 days and done 546 miles. I have been out on the road on 4 Saturdays and done just over 30 miles each time.

The i flow is a lot more interesting to use than my old turbo and the time doesn't slow down like it seems to on a turbo.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Mick F wrote:I managed it! :D
318.05miles ........ 10.26mpd.

Off out soon, but not very far. I'll do the 10miles ok, I only need to do 2miles today to stay on my 10mpd target, but it's too easy to slip back.

Not feeling too well at the mo, going down with another cold. I blame Mrs Mick F for this, she works at the local school with all the snotty kids. :wink: Busy at the weekend, so by the time I get back on the road, I'll be in deficit again unless I do 30 or 40 miles today.

Eileithyia.
You are an absolute marvel! What a star! :D

I still have the advantage of; wait for it work to motivate me to go out.....

Ian we also have a turbo that is far more interesting than the old style turbo, I can ride thru the new forest, on favourite Mallorcan roads and thru Holland with Vos and Van Vliet......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Here we are, four cycling days left of February.
I managed 18miles today, but because of being involved in other things, I'm a bit behind schedule. :oops:

I have to do 101miles in the next four days.
Not impossible by any means of course, but ..................... will I do it or carry forward a deficit into March?
Mick F. Cornwall