Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
eileithyia

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by eileithyia »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
eileithyia wrote:I certainly believe cadence is a personal thing, I do not feel like I am pushing a big gear and spin at around 80rpm, but have had others telling me I should ride at over 90, does just does not feel natural on the road. Strangely though i can do 90-95rpm on the turbo with no bother.

IIRC you do TT's?
Whats your cadence on the flat on a TT?
Not average because we know that climbing your cadence will drop off as you get steeper, .

Probably in the region of 80-85, but don't tend to dwell on cadence...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote:I switch between 170 on the trike an 155 on the bike, so I will also be interested to see if that makes a difference.

If this is to maintain your high cadence then that would go with the stated, (what bent riders say, I've never been on one) riding a bent has a different effect on natural cadence, must be gravity at 90 to the norm?
Short cranks easy high cadence, even Mick F would find that easy, but no need for him to change anymore than I want to.....dunno...Yeh, keep us informed.

P.S. Do you think he would notice....... :mrgreen:

It’s because I needed new cranks for the Schlumpf drive, and tested some short cranks and liked them.

It means knees stay lower, but I don’t really notice the switch physically (too many other differences). I might find that my raptocadence is even higher, or I might not... I can’t spin out on the rapto (top gear is 75/11*20

I suspect Mick would notice shorter cranks... need to adjust the saddle as well ;). But he’d get used to it pretty fast.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not had anything other than 170mm cranks since my circa 1965 Hercules days.
No doubt I would notice, but I'm not sure I would if it were only 5mm difference.

I did notice when I fitted Speedplay Frog pedals. The stack height is very very low, so my leg was stretched at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so I lowered the saddle by half an inch. Advantage of low stack height is the ability to put both feet down easily when you stop.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Hmm - My natural cadence over a 45-50 minute commute (so somewhat pushing) appears to be triple figures...
That's a fair bit higher than I was expecting...

Although I don't know how much I trust the data yet...

Edit - Seems fairly consistent, I pedal at 100-110 rpm average, topping out at 140-160 on most *commutes*.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

Mick F wrote:MWhat ways do other folk employ to give them the "kick" to get out and ride?

SWMBO is enough for me :D
Peter
rjb

Post by rjb »

Rusty Rider wrote:
Mick F wrote:MWhat ways do other folk employ to give them the "kick" to get out and ride?

:lol:

Usually as a result of the quote "were are you taking me for coffee today"

On a bicycle made for 2. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

rjb wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:

:lol:

Usually as a result of the quote "were are you taking me for coffee today"

On a bicycle made for 2. :lol:

:lol: My wifes bike is one of those "pop down to the shops as I forgot something" ones, she is a lazy rider, so lazy in fact its a wonder it stays upright. My bike is a Marin city bike, I like it and am looking forward to putting a Brooks saddle on as I'll get out a bit more then. My problem though is if SWMBO wants to go out it invariable isn't for a cup of coffee its lunch out and then I don't want to ride :oops:
I'd never have a tandem, I'd be lugging around about 100kg of extra weight, doing all the work :shock:
Peter
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

she is a lazy rider, so lazy in fact its a wonder it stays upright.

Does she see this forum :D
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

Grandad wrote:

Thats an emphatic NO, she thinks I'm mad talking to strangers and I reply that I don't know enough about cycling so need to know. Plus how do you make friends?
Peter
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Rusty Rider wrote:
Grandad wrote:

Thats an emphatic NO, she thinks I'm mad talking to strangers and I reply that I don't know enough about cycling so need to know. Plus how do you make friends?

I have lots of friendly contact on these fora and learn a lot, not just about cycling, one does get to know people a bit, we all love cycling
It is a bit like going to the clubroom to talk about cycling but here one can learn more without going out
Sociologists think one should have contact with real people in the flesh too, is that necessary?
I have been here a while and not observed any nastiness
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:
Grandad wrote:Does she see this forum :D

I have lots of friendly contact on these fora and learn a lot, not just about cycling, one does get to know people a bit, we all love cycling
It is a bit like going to the clubroom to talk about cycling but here one can learn more without going out
Sociologists think one should have contact with real people in the flesh too, is that necessary?
I have been here a while and not observed any nastiness

I wholeheartedly agree with you, I've had nothing but good advice to my questions and one day hope I can reciprocate. I must though admit that sometimes if its of no consequence to others ie meet face to face, as I feel that as humans we do benefit from some sort of familiarity.
Peter