Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
oldmanonabike

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by oldmanonabike »

Only 2,520 miles this year.
I'm sure I will do more next year
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Only 2928 this year - been bumping along between 2,500 and 5,300 since developing a heart problem 10 years ago.

70 year total is 365,735 so plenty of memories to look back on :D
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I've stopped recording mileages on all but the utility bike which has had the same basic computer on it (and the bike before) for the last 12-13 years. That's only so I can get an idea as to how long it'll take me to get somewhere and have a clock under my nose so I'm not late for a given event, like a meeting, train, meeting up with friends etc.
I used a GPS for the first time in 9 years back in April whilst in France as it had other bits on it useful for me in an unfamiliar place and I also needed to arrive at a commemoration service in a small village on time, aside from that I haven't used it since, I don't bother with a computer on any of the other bikes, not even the carbon race bike, I just choose where I'm going to go, have a look how far it is if it's a new trip, get a rough idea as to how long it'd take and then go.
Going as hard or as easy as you feel like without adding some sort of barometer/yard stick to direct/change how you cycle gives you more freedom of mind IMHO. Yes there are times when it it's needed but for the vast majority of non competitive cycling it isn't needed at all.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Just hit 6540 miles for the tandem for 2017. It sometimes feels like its twice as hard as a solo :roll: Dont tell SWMBO. :!:
I dont record the milage on my other bikes as its probably less then 1000 in total for the other 4 solos i rode.
Up until 4 years ago when mrs RJB retired i was averaging in excess of 10,000 miles and had been doing so for at least 25 years. but now SWMBO needs a tandem ride at least 5 times a week, which has curtailed my previous cycling regime. :roll:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

oldmanonabike wrote:Only 2,520 miles this year.
Yep, me too.

Only 2911.81miles ................. and only managed 56.91miles in December. Last ride was 13th Dec.
Mind you, I have been very very active in our jungle of the garden in November and December so I've not been sitting around and slobbing out.

Only thinking about this tread the other day. Ten miles a day is possible, so I just need to get my act in gear in preparation for the LEJOG. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Mick F wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:Only 2,520 miles this year.
Yep, me too.

Only 2911.81miles ................. and only managed 56.91miles in December. Last ride was 13th Dec.
Mind you, I have been very very active in our jungle of the garden in November and December so I've not been sitting around and slobbing out.

Only thinking about this tread the other day. Ten miles a day is possible, so I just need to get my act in gear in preparation for the LEJOG. :D

I intend to follow Paulatic's training plan and with the help of my friend John I should be pretty fit for the Lejog
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
honesty

Post by honesty »

I recorded everything including the short cycle from my house to work and daughters school. What amazed me was actually that short commute (1 to 1.5 miles four times a day, I have to walk the dog at lunchtime!) ended up being around 1000 miles over the year.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Did my 3000 miles target and passed 30,000 miles on my Rohloff this year. Highlight was a tour of the north Pennines.spent the last week becalmed by weather and family duties so looking forward to getting out on bike in 2018!
softlips

Post by softlips »

Only started riding in September 2016. Set a target of 2000 miles for this year and have managed 3313. Hoping for at least 4000 next year.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

4k5 this year, with only one ride over 15 miles (and that was only 20).

Been a week or so since I last went out and I’m getting grouchy...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

September to September I knocked out 6,000 miles......it was my 60th year and I thought that '6,000 in my 60th' had a certain ring to it.

2017 I averaged 100 miles/week.....Some big weeks and some thumb twiddlers....That's averages eh ??....
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

8,086 miles for the year, but my big target was 40/day over 8 days to complete the Rapha Festive 500km challenge. Having failed previous years due to inclement weather and fitting around family and work, last year we achieved it by a sneaky holiday in favourable weather in Mallorca. This year the challenge for me was to complete it during winter weather... I did. :D Though I did wonder, as Friday was potentially challenging with the snow on the ground first thing.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

10241 miles on the clocks for 2017, somewhat less than previous years - not there's been any 'goals'.

Enjoyed no punctures again (third consecutive year), no crashes, no falls, no helmet, no hi-viz :wink: and 10 days of no cycling (all wind related) :(

3200 of them were on a 1948 Percy Stallard 'Montlhéry'
3159 on a 2016 Moulton TSR
2892 on a '87 Raleigh 'Avanti' 531 (and that's the shopping bike)
990 on a '92 Longstaff 531 - mainly because it was having its 25th birthday repaint at Ellis Briggs - for 15 weeks!

No goals for 2018 - just carry on enjoying riding 'round and 'round and up and down in baradwys (paradise) :D

Wishing everyone peace and happiness on and off a pushbike :)
Last edited by deliquium on 1 Jan 2018, 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Si

Post by Si »

Yesterday i was over 200 miles behind schedule, after today's ride I'm 12 miles over schedule....strange, didnt feel that long. :lol:

I'm also going for the 1 gear lower challenge.........whatever gearfeels most comfortable i change into the next easiest in the hope that it makes me more spinny andless mashie.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I ended 2017 on 8232 miles and hopefully will beat that this year as I've set myself a target of riding everyday of the year, even if it's only a quick 10 minute loop round the block.