Ten Miles a Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Ten Miles a Day

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I note kilometres per day/month and number of days cycled in the year. 1974 : 365 days, 2008 : 41days. The average km per day ridden fluctuates a lot: 61 when I walked to work and only cycled at weekends, 14 when I had a short ride to work.

As one gets older, one may switch to km instead of miles to keep the figures looking good.

Does anyone here not record miles/km ridden? If not, why not?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does anyone here not record miles/km ridden? If not, why not?

Because I don't want to know how few it is :oops:
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does anyone here not record miles/km ridden? If not, why not?

Most of my riding nowadays is utility cycling around London which involves lots of short journeys, most under 30 minutes. I do at least 2 a day, sometimes 3 or 4, and it's too much hassle to figure out how far I've travelled.

In the past I used to do fewer but longer rides and all were recorded into a Garmin then transferred onto a spreadsheet. My incentive to ride back then was to reach an annual target; now my goal is just to avoid taking public transport for as long as possible!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I have kept records since 2000.
It helps with comparing to see how you are doing, I also write a brief note, pain in leg, windy, fading.
This is only useful if you are training for something, just riding commuting or pleasure there is little point.

I agree that if you are seriously training then riding 3 - 4 days a week is ideal.
As for mileage Its only important if you are training and recording actual effort.

In my youth I would ride 200 - 300 miles a week all at 20 mph.
At 58 I cant find the time and it hurts to keep fit, just plod on looking for a rainbow :)

Good luck for 2017.
It was Mick F's original post that started me keeping detailed records. Before that I had only a rough idea. Now I keep records of every journey - even short ones. I may also make notes eg weather, conditions, journey, when components changed etc. I do not cycle to train for anything at all. Cycling is not a sport for me. The records make a good "diary" and I disagree there is little point in keeping them. I haven't achieved 10miles a day, and this year it will be a little under 9miles/day unless I cycle 85miles before the end of the year which is unlikely.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
OK you are keeping a diary, perhaps I worded that wrongly. :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I keep records ......... as you all know ............. plus I have a spread sheet going back to Oct 2004 showing monthly totals and quarterly totals too as well as the annual and accumulative totals.
When I commuted, I only kept a log of when, rather than "how far", and that log has long gone now. :oops:

The past couple of years haven't been good. I ride when I want to and where I want to, but that has to fit in with life and domesticity.
Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 07.36.01.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I used to keep records when I was doing 400km+ per week, but I don't any more.. It's too depressing. :?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I haven't for a couple of years.

Quite liberating just rolling along without a computer dictating your efforts...
Replace things as they wear, enjoy the sunshine (and the rain). Just get to where you are going...

Having just started a new commute I'm kind of interested how the first few months develop in terms of commuting speed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
KFT

Post by KFT »

Finished up on 3709 for the year, more than double what I've previously managed :D
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

My figures for 2016. Not overly happy with them as I didn't hit one of my goals for the year.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

I haven't for a couple of years.

Quite liberating just rolling along without a computer dictating your efforts...
Replace things as they wear, enjoy the sunshine (and the rain). Just get to where you are going...

I've recorded daily mileages for the last two years, but rounded up or down to whole miles cos decimal points are too finicky and tedious :roll: Whilst never looking at or logging average speeds, cos I don't care anymore. Back in the early to mid 90s when one needed mudguards to ride Audax events I was rather into that sort of thing - and am pleased to have left behind the need to know such details :)

11144 miles in 2016 (503 less than 2015). 16 days not riding (only 5 days in 2015). Who's addicted :wink: Minimum ride 7 miles, max 125 miles. No punctures. No crashes or falls. Zero hi vis and only 100% cotton or wool caps :twisted:

An average of 31.93 miles per day cycled - without chasing any goals + no motor + a love of cycling (mostly alone and totally non urban rural Welsh mountains and sea landscape)

27 cold sunny miles today :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
honesty

Post by honesty »

I did this this year. Wohoo! 3700 ish in 2017. Very happy about that. Now for 2018 I’m aiming for 11 miles a day!
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I hit 10 something a day (for whole year) by Nov 17, but not ridden since due to a fall :(
All my riding is done at a training pace so I don't need excessive mileage, riding in my youth was twice as much but I relied solely on pedal power.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Si

Post by Si »

I tried. Alas i came up about 200miles short.....which i guess isnt too bad considering cycling was very limited for 5 months due to chest infections.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Thanks for the prompt. I didn't start counting till March, when the club mileage competition started (I'm way off the pace, obviously). I'm heading for about 200 miles short as well. There might just be time to put that right before the end of February...