Knocked off this morning

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Knocked off this morning

Post by Mark1978 »

Coming around a smallish roundabout. Woman in a silver Renault just didn't stop. I went into the side of her then hit the deck.

Bruised the top of my leg and cuts on my elbow. Leg hurts a little but not too bad. Although for the first 5 minutes I was lying on the grass in some shock.
MLJ

Re: Knocked off this morning

Post by MLJ »

Roundabouts are particularly dangerous for cyclists: it helps to make eye contact with the driver, or else to pull back if not made. Also, to keep well out in your lane so that they are seeing you while looking ahead, as not many look to the side! Glad to hear that you have not suffered too badly.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sorry to hear about that,I assume you've reported it and got her details and witness statements?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Mark, I hope that you are fully recovered and there is no damage to your steed. That poor woman, she was obviously in a hurry and you delayed her even more :cry:

Let us know the outcome.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

reohn2 wrote:Sorry to hear about that,I assume you've reported it and got her details and witness statements?

Just got a text from her to say she's reported it to the police.
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I would report it to the police yourself - she may/will have only reported her side of the story.

And of course there are now an army of lawyers heading your way to press your claim - will I get a referral fee if I tip them off? (Just joking)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Sorry to hear about that,I assume you've reported it and got her details and witness statements?

Just got a text from her to say she's reported it to the police.

Be careful,people tend to give their side of the story which usually means they weren't at fault.As Beekeeper says report your side of things and make sure the police know you were injured in the incident and don't play down your injuries.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

At the very least, go to your doctor and have them map and record your injuries. Go back at regular intervals as they heal. You may need that as part of a claim, should you decide to press a claim.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Report it, log all injuries and receipt all repairs (clothing included)

above all, recover, get back on the steed...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm fine really. On claiming insurance for my bike what's the procedure? Will they want to see the bike to verify damage etc? Would they give me the retail cost or second hand value as they do with cars?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm fine really. On claiming insurance for my bike what's the procedure? Will they want to see the bike to verify damage etc? Would they give me the retail cost or second hand value as they do with cars?

I'd push for replacement value - new bike if that's what's needed

You know what bike and spec it was - claim for the replacement and the value of any damaged clothing.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

Remember that they have no more say in the matter than you do. It is a negotiation between equals and if you can not reach an acceptable deal then take them to small claims court.
You will probably have to tell them that you are taking them to small claims court in order for them to start treating you as an equal.
Yma o Hyd
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

BTW the bikes retail is £375. Which I don't think is a lot in the scheme of insurance claims.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm fine really. On claiming insurance for my bike what's the procedure? Will they want to see the bike to verify damage etc? Would they give me the retail cost or second hand value as they do with cars?

I mentioned on another post that I got knocked off by a bus.

The overall cost of replacing the wheel, mudguard etc was about £180, I wrote to the insurance company saying something like:-

"Your client knocked me off, the cost of repairs came to £180 (copies of receipts enclosed), there was also some minor paint damage to the bike and some bruising to my back.
If however we can agree to repayment of my outlay then I'm prepared to accept it as payment in full and consider the matter closed otherwise I'll hand it over to a claims company.
"

(But a bit nicer).
The cheque arrived within a week, they're not stupid... :wink:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

+1 for most that has been sai;
statement to police
get injuries looked at and return to dr's as necessary
keep a record of injuries and recovery time.. may sound silly but in a year's time yo may not remember timescale of recovery
keep track of all expenses, visits to dr's / hospital; fares / car parking
damaged clothing
bike get it properly assessed by lbs, have had an insurance assessor look at mine in the past and curently have one in storage waiting for a case to be closed
employers costs; time off work they may want wages paid to you recovered from otherside

glad you are not too badly hurt.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells