Need for a public information campaign?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
grapsy

Need for a public information campaign?

Post by grapsy »

With more people taking up cycling all the time, isn't it about time that we had a major televised public information campaign in order to educate motor vehicle drivers?

The emphasis should be on explaining why cyclists are safer when they adopt a road position more than a few inches from the curb . To many unenlightened drivers this appears to be a tactic aimed solely to obstruct and annoy, resulting in aggressive and dangerous driving. Also, there's a real need to point out to a large majority of drivers that the highway code states unequivocally that they need to "give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car". In my experience this happens quite rarely.

The ignorance regarding cyclists is widespread, extremely dangerous and in my opinion, getting worse. As well as many accidents caused by this ignorance, it stops many people taking up cycling and enjoying the many benefits.

I'm sure I am not the first to come up with this idea, and for all I know, there are already moves to make something happen. Otherwise, why not?
gaz

Re: Need for a public information campaign?

Post by gaz »

With more people taking up cycling all the time, isn't it about time that we had a major televised public information campaign in order to educate cyclists? :wink:

Better still let's improve the education of all road users.
Missing, presumed fed.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:With more people taking up cycling all the time, isn't it about time that we had a major televised public information campaign in order to educate cyclists? :wink:

Better still let's improve the education of all road users.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

A televised campaign to "educate cyclists" on road positioning would I think both educate and surprise a lot of motorists on what's safe for cyclists. A good idea I think.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

I've said it before, but this could be a mandatory question in the multiple guess part of the driving test.

Failure to answer correctly could be grounds for failure of the test, and correct answers would prove that the driver had comprehended.

Then, there could be no excuses.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

stoobs wrote:I've said it before, but this could be a mandatory question in the multiple guess part of the driving test.

Failure to answer correctly could be grounds for failure of the test, and correct answers would prove that the driver had comprehended.

You can teach anyone to give the right answer to a question or series of questions.
To educate potential drivers as why they need to,say give cyclists room,or why cyclists ride away from the curb or why they sometimes ride in the middle of the lane or that they aren't "que jumping" when they ride to the front of a line of stationary traffic,and that cyclists are legitimate road users and why pay VED,etc,is another thing altogether.

By the same token PIFilms could also inform the cycling public their duties as a road user and why they should perform some of the mad manoeuvres I see everytime I see cyclists in heavy traffic,ie;going up the inside stationary HGV's,pavement riding,fast riding in the presence of pedestrians,the need to be well lit in low light/dark,etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------
DDW

Post by DDW »

PI films to educate motorists along with mandatory cycling relate questions in the driving test would help to some degree but I can see a benefit in educating cyclists too. RLJ, pavement riders etc. these can be quite dangerous for pedestrians.

If cyclists want an information campaign for their safety on the highways then I think it only fair that cyclists are educated as to the safety of pedestrians and the impact of anti social cycling.
Everything is relative with proper perspective.
meic

Post by meic »

However back in real life, by the time all the relevant "safety" organisations and politicians have had their input, it will end up as just a short video telling cyclists how important it is to wear a helmet at all times.
Yma o Hyd
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

stoobs wrote:I've said it before, but this could be a mandatory question in the multiple guess part of the driving test.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=71779 :D
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

+1 on what meic said, although I do wear a helmet most days.
Atitudes of both drivers and cyclists need to seriously change before we're any safer.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
grapsy

Post by grapsy »

I agree that there are some cyclists who let the side down (especially in London). Also, if more cyclists took a more central position in the road then car drivers would get used to it and not get so angry with those who already do. However, the reality is that its motor vehicles that kill cyclists and it is is rarely deemed the cyclist's fault. I see cars doing stupid things every day as they try to get past me, not cyclists. Good information is always helpful, but on the whole its the drivers who need educating MUCH MORE than the cyclists.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Whilst I suspect that meic is correct (although forgot the hi-viz) education on road positioning relative to parked cars would also engage a few minds....
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

grapsy wrote:I agree that there are some cyclists who let the side down (especially in London). Also, if more cyclists took a more central position in the road then car drivers would get used to it and not get so angry with those who already do. However, the reality is that its motor vehicles that kill cyclists and it is is rarely deemed the cyclist's fault. I see cars doing stupid things every day as they try to get past me, not cyclists. Good information is always helpful, but on the whole its the drivers who need educating MUCH MORE than the cyclists.

Yes but a "targeted" information campaign at cyclists will be seen by motorists...
The collateral education might be more significant than the primary target
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

meic wrote:However back in real life, by the time all the relevant "safety" organisations and politicians have had their input, it will end up as just a short video telling cyclists how important it is to wear a helmet at all times.

And shown in the small hours on TV channels nobody watches (which is where most of the PI films end up) because its cheap and allows Government to say they have broadcast X hours of PI films.
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

TonyR wrote:
meic wrote:However back in real life, by the time all the relevant "safety" organisations and politicians have had their input, it will end up as just a short video telling cyclists how important it is to wear a helmet at all times.

And shown in the small hours on TV channels nobody watches (which is where most of the PI films end up) because its cheap and allows Government to say they have broadcast X hours of PI films.

and along with charlie the cat telling kids to avoid strangers...
I`m def too old for this!