Cyclists Dismount. Then what?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Eammno

Cyclists Dismount. Then what?

Post by Eammno »

At the weekend I noticed roadworks that seems to involve digging up the cycle lanes, both sides of the road.
Associated signage coming into (also out of) Brighton on the A23 here:
http://goo.gl/maps/TteKw

The signs read 'cycle lane closed please dismount'

Questions:
Why dismount?
and
Once dismounted where do you go?

Apologies if this already appears on the forum :oops:
snibgo

Re: Cyclists Dismount. Then what?

Post by snibgo »

Such signs are abbreviations for: "We don't want cyclists here. Go away."
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's a purely informative sign (note: rectangular = informative). All it's telling you, is that cyclists generally DO dismount, once they've reached their destination. :lol:

Carry on as before..... :wink:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Usually what you will try and do is avoid arriving at the sign, for example by exiting the cycle lane and cycling in a road instead, and thus avoid getting to the point where you have to dismount. If however you continue cycling along the lane until you reach the sign, you will have to stop and be unable to proceed unless you dismount and find some way of passing the obstruction.
PRL

Post by PRL »

As I understand it the latest guidance is that these should be replaced by "Cyclists rejoin carriageway" . Could it be that the highways people are stuck in the last century ? Surely not. :evil:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As the OP implies, the Highways Agency uses temporary signs like this at some roadworks.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I had a discussion with a PCSO about this after a I failed to dismount from a Recumbent Trike

My reply to " why did I not dismount" was that the signs were advisory, but if he as a "Police Officer" was asking me to dismount I wold do so

Stupidly he asked me to do so....

So I pointed out that as there were no "Cyclists Mount" signs he would have to give me clear instructions as to where I he wished me to remount my tricycle

For some reason he was unwilling to do so...
RickH

Post by RickH »

They must have had the "Cyclists Dismount" signs out on today's stage of the Tirreno-Adriatico race in Italy judging by the photos I've seen of riders walking! :shock: (unless it was the 27% climb! :D)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Well in this case it was either walk in the carriageway or clamber through the ironworks that separate the road from the footway. :lol:

I suppose I could have tried to negotiate the narrow gap under the scaffolding having dismounted, thus presenting a wider profile than if I'd remained awheel. :?

I chose riding in the carriageway, it seemed a lot simpler. :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Cunobelin wrote:I had a discussion with a PCSO about this after a I failed to dismount from a Recumbent Trike

My reply to " why did I not dismount" was that the signs were advisory, but if he as a "Police Officer" was asking me to dismount I wold do so

Stupidly he asked me to do so....

So I pointed out that as there were no "Cyclists Mount" signs he would have to give me clear instructions as to where I he wished me to remount my tricycle

For some reason he was unwilling to do so...

The key word in your case is tricycle, the sign clearly refers to cyclists. My take on the signs is, if as cyclists we obey them and dismount we then become pedestrians so the sign no longer applies so we can remount then become a cyclist again so we must obey the sign and dismount and become a pedestrian so the sign no longer applies to us so we can remount ad infinitum :lol:
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

'Cyclists Dismount' was conceived in the same womb of ambiguity as 'Gentlemen Lift The Seat'.
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

At a roadworks, if a cyclist rides straight down a big hole and there is a sign saying “Cyclists dismount”, who is going to be found negligent?
byegad

Post by byegad »

A 'Cyclists Dismount' sign is usually on a Blue Rectangle. So it is advisory and you don't have to take any notice if you don't want to.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

To be serious: I have come across a very few places where the sign makes good sense and ought to be made mandatory - possibly by using the standard circular NO CYCLING sign coupled with a worded warning. This is usually where there is a concealed danger which cyclists may not be aware of: flush tram rails are an obvious example. And I remember noticing at least one example in France ("Cyclistes: pieds à terre") where the road went over an old iron bridge consisting of longitudinal girders with wide gaps in between. No cyclist would argue about the need to dismount there!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Often seen on shared use paths. In this case I believe it is mandatory as you can only cycle on the path where signs specifically say you can, therefore "CYCLISTS DISMOUNT" is a withdrawl of this permission.