Selfish & Aggressive Fishermen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
John Holiday

Selfish & Aggressive Fishermen

Postby John Holiday » 20 Mar 2013, 5:17pm

I wonder whether other Forum Users have experienced this problem & how they dealt with it?
On Sunday a small group of Moulton riders rode along the towpath from Chester to Ellesmere Port.Nearing the Boat Museum, we came across a group on the bank taking part in a fishing competition. One individual had completely blocked the path with his equipment,including a very long pole which reached the far bank. We waited for him to remove it,but when he made no effort to give us passage,one of the riders made to lift the offending pole.At which this individual exploded in a torrent of foul language & attemted to push us out of the way,yelling that 'I've paid to fish here & you lot have no rights to be here'.Fortunately one of his more sensible associates calmed him & moved the blockage & we passed on.
The canal was busy with numerous other cyclists,walkers & family groups.
I have reported the incident to the Canal & River Trust Regional Manager & await a response.
We have also experinced similar problems in the Manchester area when on Veteran Club rides.
So much for the Sustrans approach of 'Share with Care'!!

kwackers

Re: Selfish & Aggressive Fishermen

Postby kwackers » 20 Mar 2013, 5:24pm

Quite often come across guys fishing and taking up the full width of the path but haven't had any issues with them. Can't say any have smiled or looked particularly pleased they've had to move their gear to let me past though...
Given the canal was (as you say) busy with other walkers and cyclists perhaps you were simply the last straw.

You should have told him that if you'd been him, you'd have paid for a better spot. That would have calmed him down... :lol:

james01

Postby james01 » 20 Mar 2013, 5:29pm

We've experienced loud sighs and similar body language from the odd fisherman. Not yet had the pleasure of the full verbals :oops:

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Mar 2013, 5:33pm

Anglers often come equipped with a packed lunch, seeing as they're expecting to be there all day.
They also often come equipped with a tin of maggots for bait.
Perhaps a surreptitious 'transfer' might do the trick..... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

meic

Postby meic » 20 Mar 2013, 6:45pm

They hate the people who are travelling on the water even more.

ie canoeists.
Yma o Hyd

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 20 Mar 2013, 7:32pm

Some anglers are single-minded about their chosen sport.

A former colleague, who I suspect is now a late former colleague, used to recount all sorts of tales which I've kept in mind on the rare occasion when I've used a towing path.

Nothing to do with cycling but he once came to work on nights and announced that his wife had left him. Brushing aside commiserations, he explained that as he had been preparing to go angling that morning, his wife had told him she had something important to say and he had replied along the lines that he was going fishing in an hour so could she make it quick. This had been repeated a couple of times during the ensuing hour until she announced "I'm leaving you" to which he replied, "If you had said that sooner I'd have helped with your luggage." At which point he went fishing.

It probably partly explains why I've generally preferred roads for my cycling. :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Mar 2013, 7:52pm

meic wrote:They hate the people who are travelling on the water even more.

ie canoeists.
............ and narrowboat users too.
Mick F. Cornwall

mill4six

Postby mill4six » 20 Mar 2013, 9:54pm

They're very good about it (the fishermen) around here on the Kennet and Avon canal. Those poles (Roach poles?) are, like some of our bikes, extremely expensive. I had a chap explain he'd really rather I didn't try to pick up my bike and step over it as it was way over £1000 and if I slipped :shock: I waited a few seconds and he moved cheerfully.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 20 Mar 2013, 10:26pm

What's a 'Towpath'?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Mar 2013, 10:39pm

I've experienced arrogant and ignorant anglers but generally they're in the minority,much similar to arrogant and ignorant motorists or cyclist FTM,generally speaking anglers tend to be good natured.
IMHO the OP is right to report this chap and as his angling club will have to have booked the streatch of canal to fish the competition he should be easily tracable,IIRC that streatch of cut is a designated cyclepath so he'd no rights to either block it or act in the way he did.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Mar 2013, 10:40pm

Ayesha wrote:What's a 'Towpath'?

what's a 23mm tyre?
I cycle therefore I am.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 20 Mar 2013, 10:42pm

A place for horses to walk alongside a canal for the express purpose of towing barges for transport.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

gaz

Postby gaz » 20 Mar 2013, 10:47pm

reohn2 wrote:what's a 23mm tyre?

It's a 32mm tyre fitted back to front. :wink:
2020 : To redundancy ... and beyond!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Mar 2013, 10:54pm

gaz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:what's a 23mm tyre?

It's a 32mm tyre fitted back to front. :wink:

:) :) :)
I cycle therefore I am.

Si

Postby Si » 21 Mar 2013, 8:41am

[XAP]Bob wrote:

A place for horses to walk alongside a canal for the express purpose of towing barges for transport.

Watch out for the lightning bolts.......you used the "b" word, you'll now have both the fisherfolk and the narrow-boaters after us!

TBH I've found the fishermen to be OK....just as long as you don't try to bunny hop their £2k carbon fibre poles.