Speed limit Campaign

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gar

Speed limit Campaign

Post by gar »

This hyper leads to the rural communities bill
in parliament.

It looks as though there is potential to
campaign with this new "Natural England"
constitution to reduce damage to the hedgerows
by suing the county councils for failure to
consrve the hedgerows and wildlife properly.

If any body who has some knowledge would care to look at the new constititution I am glad to discuss these things at length.

Gar
gar

Re:Speed limit Campaign

Post by gar »

To the uninitated Speed limit would be a crucial topic in any such discussion

Gar

I am sorry i cannot edit th existing page above.
Elucasr

Post by Elucasr »

I think you should remember that very few hedges are owned by councils. Maintenance is the responsibility of the landowner, however, if they encroach on the highway the council can issue an order for them to be cut back. "Highway" includes the grass verge to the highway boundary.

I would draw your attention to clause 11, CHARGES.
gar

Post by gar »

thanks for that Eleu,

Yes on this B road I had a very rude letter written by a tail wagging dog for info re ownership which I happened to know or own. If they issue an order and it is ignored they just get on and cut it themselves.

If there is contention about the excessive use of the road by invasions of traffic then the owner just leaves it and leaves it, and the CC takes over, frequently scalping to the nth degree and again this year seriously destroying habitat before the end of the nesting or hatching seasons, (generally
mid June)
We have serious vaction traffic which needs clear edges from early July onwards by which time they should be cut and not before.

That was the case (not cut) until 1st July for the last three years but now again they have gone back to doing double time (for the sake of the wage) and destroying the life cycles of a number of wild flowers, in early May which is deeply disappointing.

There is one hedgerow on a D road nearby which is amazing, just absolutely beautiful
in its pristine and undamaged state., vetches, marigolds, wild garlic, c parsley, good old bluebells and indeed the protected Bee orchid
which they would destroy without any compunction whatsoever

Cow parsley is one hedgerow plant which
is unconcerned by the early slashing.
All birds are effected by it; they need the seeds
they need the protection and once slashed it is gone.

Birds do have two nesting sessions in a summer if they can but if they are not even allowed one
it is scarcely surprising if the hedgerow birds such as the sparrow of all things, are dwindling ,
The second nesting starts as soon as the first young have flown, early June.

Yes highway is generally 3m back from the road, so highways says "It is our resposnibility
to cut back for the motorist" but in fact
for the pedestrain, the cyclist the, horse rider,
and the wildlife, it is better not cut back until the necessary date I have mentioned.

I am thinking of the ignorance of the Highways operatives of country matters;
As long as the traffic can go fatser it does not matter about anything else.

I don't think that is the priority of the cyclist.....
or of the natural world.

I can't quite see which clause Eleu give me a greater reference. I'll probably find it in a mo
and come back to you. Thanks

Gar
gar

Post by gar »

Got it.
Do you object to charges being made?
There are various exemptions available.

Or are you thinking of charges to people for not cutting their own hedgerows?!!

I have never heard of it happen.

I refer you to my above remarks.

Regards,

Gar