My legs hurt

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
easyroller

Re: My legs hurt

Post by easyroller »

theDaveB wrote:Wondered if I should go out in the rain and get use to it, incase am ever stuck in a downpour. Noticed Decathlon do ponchos as well gaily cheaply, so might invest in one.

Unless you enjoy cycling in the rain (it can be quite refreshing at times) then don't bother. After all we do this for fun, it's not something we get paid to do!
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

theDaveB wrote:Wondered if I should go out in the rain and get use to it, incase am ever stuck in a downpour. Noticed Decathlon do ponchos as well gaily cheaply, so might invest in one.
Dave
Rain doesn't hurt (sleet does though :P ), think about it as having an early shower and ride hard enough to stay warm. When it gets miserable is if you get cold and can't summon the energy again.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Rain does hurt once you get above a certain speed. You might only have a ground speed of 5 mph but isf the wind is gusting upto 30 mph then rain does sting when hitting bare flesh.

My view is that if I'm riding for fun then I only do rain if it happens whilst I'm riding or its scheduled to finish a short time into a longer ride.

If you are someone who enjoys a jolly good cold shower first thing of a morning and doesn't turn the heating on until its -20 outside then yes you might find rain a refreshing experience. For most other people its a miserable experience and should be avoided.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

A rain shower in the summer isn't so bad, but if it's already cold and you get wet, without suitable clothing, you can cool down really quickly, dangerously so.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I will forget cycling in the rain then :-)

Was out for about 4 hours today and feel like am not drinking enough. When I stop I take a few swigs but that's it, when am at home and feel thirsty I will have a full glass of something.

Maybe I should take more with me, today I took 2 bottles of lucozade and came home with 1. Bottle sizes where simular to a bike bottle (they fit in the cage).

Dave
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Four hours....always take more than you need, I normally always drink enough but just lately I have not, probably something to do with tha cold weather and the sun. Take a glass of water before you ride and get some proper drinks bottle's, you must have them ? Just put some quash in them.
Dark urine and little too after exercise is the clue.
On one of my 200K's that day I drank 14 - 15 litres in 24 hrs.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

theDaveB wrote:I will forget cycling in the rain then :-)
Was out for about 4 hours today and feel like am not drinking enough. When I stop I take a few swigs but that's it, when am at home and feel thirsty I will have a full glass of something.

Maybe I should take more with me, today I took 2 bottles of lucozade and came home with 1. Bottle sizes where simular to a bike bottle (they fit in the cage).

Dave

I sometimes like cycling in the rain. I don't generally mind it. I regularly ride in the rain commuting.

I have to admit that I don't like cold rain, but a light rain on a warm day can be quite refreshing. :D And I love the look of misty, rainy hills.

p.s. powder mixes for energy drinks are cheaper; juice or water with electrolyte drops cheaper, yet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom