Road Rage Assault on Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Geriatrix

Re: Road Rage Assault on Cyclist

Post by Geriatrix »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm pleased that the footage has had a good airing because it illustrates a bit of what's happening. Unlike professionally produced telly documentaries, there's no sly editing, no dramatic background music etc. People can debate the rights and wrongs of the participants' actions, but there's no doubt it happened. The official approach is also a matter of record.

People get agitated. It's unfortunate and wrong when they start the vendetta but part of that is caused by the inevitable frustration. I fancy footage of feeding time in a snakemonger's shop might generate a lot more heat. :shock:

It seems to me that the original purpose in publishing the vid was public information rather than lucre. That's been achieved, and with brass knobs on. Breach of copyright is naturally a sensitive issue for people who try to make their living from intellectual property. (I've read something within the last couple of days where David Bailey was complaining about it.) I get the impression that this is mainly about trying to close Pandora's box.

+1
Cyclists may have different view on the cammers cycling style but I had to watch the video a few time to spot the trigger incident. I still don't think he did anything wrong to have merited the assault and what disturbed me was that what we consider good practice in road positioning could have contributed to the incident. Driver frustration needs to be addressed and I think that this video illustrates that well.

The vigilantism that resulted was ugly. I don't have any sympathy for the perpetrator but targeting his wife was not on. Yes she lied but she's between a rock and a hard place on this and supporting him is a natural social response. You have to see this from her perspective. Given his violent tendencies she may herself be a victim, and everything she has done so far speaks defensive reaction rather than aggressive response.

If I was the cammer my main concern would be the media using the footage out of context rather than compensation. Any footage I post is YouTube open license and I may rethink future uploads because I wouldn't want footage to be used for any political agenda that I don't agree with (The war on motorists).
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Geriatrix wrote:Any footage I post is YouTube open license and I may rethink future uploads because I wouldn't want footage to be used for any political agenda that I don't agree with (The war on motorists).

Precisely. I've had a youtube account for years but I've never uploaded anything. I use it merely to comment on other people's videos, and mostly non-controversial stuff such as music.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IMO that link is worth reading for an explanation of how community resolution "works" and for some background.

IME of dealing with the media, once a subject is in the public eye - or their version of it - the hacks' appetite for connected material, no matter how tenuous the connection, is insatiable. A new or slightly different angle is heaven-sent for them.

I fancy, for example, that some charities in this field will be latching onto this in respect of things like matrimonial violence.

From a cycle campaigning POV, it could also be a good opportunity: cyclists as the good guys, failed by the system.

So where are we? In denial: let's not dwell on anything that makes cycling seem dangerous. Victim blaming: it wouldn't have happened without the camera etc. We don't even seem bothered to press ACPO on the use of this type of evidence. :roll:
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

thirdcrank wrote:IMO that link is worth reading for an explanation of how community resolution "works" and for some background.

From that article:
"But in every case, this decision will be victim-led and above all reflect their views and wishes," he said.

That statement is a bit disingenuous because in the case of this assault the cammer wasn't satisfied with either options given to him by the police. In his words:
I was given the choice of a local resolution consisting of a written apology and compensation for the damage to the bike or him receiving a formal caution and I get nothing. I reluctantly chose the resolution as it's an instant result that goes on his record and I don't have to spend time and energy chasing him for money through the county courts.

I'm disappointed as you can't go round belting people like that for taking their rightful place on the road; there should be real consequences. My frustration doesn't lie with the police but the procedures that govern them.

When we are presented with news that Britain has falling crime rates I wonder if that's the reality or simply the way we record them now.

Yes, there is a question to be asked that should we go to the expense of chasing this through the courts when a local resolution may fix the problem without landing someone with a criminal record. If it works then perhaps so, but I would like to see the evidence before I'm convinced. I get worried that part of the reason that this happened was because the perp had a high degree of confidence that he would get away with it. The legal constraints on his behaviour are no longer there. That devalues the law (I'm starting to sound like Alf Garnet :? )
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Geriatrix wrote:
When we are presented with news that Britain has falling crime rates I wonder if that's the reality or simply the way we record them now.

It's termed as "cooking the books"
I'm going blue in the face keep mentioning it on here!

I get worried that part of the reason that this happened was because the perp had a high degree of confidence that he would get away with it.........

No,it's the whole reason it happened.
It was a criminal and violent attack that has been trivialised by a lack of a proper sentence.
What's betting that this low life is more worried about the bad name his business has attracted and the threats from other cyclists(not that I condone such threats,they are despicable IMHO) on the matter rather than the punishment doled out by an inadequate and increasingly toothless judicial system?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I found this interesting from Martin Porter.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... s-not.html
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

thirdcrank wrote:I found this interesting from Martin Porter.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... s-not.html

That sums it up.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

As i said.............
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Username

Post by Username »

Geriatrix wrote:Just watched. That is outrageous!

Protection of the law? What protection!

Wheels of Justice. The bearings have worn out!