How many people cycle-commute all year round?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tommo

How many people cycle-commute all year round?

Post by Tommo »

Just a point of interest really. Right now I have no need to commute anywhere, but that may change quite soon. I used to live 9 miles from work and cycled in every day, bar a few times when it rained and I took the car as it can be a right pain getting soaked on the way in.

While there were always cyclists around in the summer, numbers dropped in Autumn and all but dissapeared in winter. I continued to cycle to work because I would hate to go to bed thinking the weather beat me, and also it saved a lot of cash which can be useful.

My shift often finished well after dark, sometimes as late as 11pm so the temperature tended to be low at that time, below zero sometimes, and my hands were cold through very thick gloves. Despite the cold these days could be some of the most enjoyable with the stars shining and nobody around to ruin my ride through some pretty country roads.

Definitely the easiest way to get and stay fit, but I wonder how many people do this all year round rather than just when it's warm. I did it continuously for 2 and a half years but have been out of the game for the past two years.

Certainly a sensible option to cycle in warmer weathers, ditch the bike when it gets cold. You probably need a certain amount of stubbornness to do otherwise. I assume there are plenty on here who do though.........
2Tubs

Re: How many people cycle-commute all year round?

Post by 2Tubs »

Tommo wrote:Just a point of interest really. Right now I have no need to commute anywhere, but that may change quite soon. I used to live 9 miles from work and cycled in every day, bar a few times when it rained and I took the car as it can be a right pain getting soaked on the way in.

While there were always cyclists around in the summer, numbers dropped in Autumn and all but dissapeared in winter. I continued to cycle to work because I would hate to go to bed thinking the weather beat me, and also it saved a lot of cash which can be useful.

My shift often finished well after dark, sometimes as late as 11pm so the temperature tended to be low at that time, below zero sometimes, and my hands were cold through very thick gloves. Despite the cold these days could be some of the most enjoyable with the stars shining and nobody around to ruin my ride through some pretty country roads.

Definitely the easiest way to get and stay fit, but I wonder how many people do this all year round rather than just when it's warm. I did it continuously for 2 and a half years but have been out of the game for the past two years.

Certainly a sensible option to cycle in warmer weathers, ditch the bike when it gets cold. You probably need a certain amount of stubbornness to do otherwise. I assume there are plenty on here who do though.........

I don't have problems with the cold or the dark. The wind and ice may make me leave the bike at home though.

And illness, I've managed to cycle just 3 weeks in the last 4 months due to illness.

Back in the game now though.

And loving it.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I used to. 17 miles each way. All weathers.

I was "duty" one Christmas Day, and cycled in at 0700 with completely empty roads. Great!
Mick F. Cornwall
archy sturmer

Post by archy sturmer »

I've been cycling to work since september last year, so not quite all-year-round yet.
But all through the winter anyway. It’s surprising how infrequently it rains!
I bought waterproof-ish things, but hardly ever used them, and have only got seriously wet 2 or 3 times.
Cold not really a problem for me as I tend to get too hot - exception being knees. Knee-warmers seemed to cure that.
-AS
mankymitts

Post by mankymitts »

I commute all year round in Glasgow. It is a matter of the right clothes and the right lights.

Tend to find that although cold the winters especially Jan tend to be drier that some periods of the summer.

Never had any problems.

MM
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

I go all year around. You just put on a few more layers, as winter drags on, with the outer one being wind/water proof and reflective.

Believe it or not, I never dumped the shorts last winter - as long as I'm warm on top I am happy. Gloves are a necessity however.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i never drive to work.

i reckon it only rains (properly) during the time i spend on my bike 1 time in every 50 commutes.

half of these, naturally happen on the way home so don't matter

so i only get really wet on the way to work 3 or 4 times a year..and i suspect the same is true for us all :D
Daniel B

Post by Daniel B »

I've only just started commuting, but plan to do so throughhout the whole year.

That's not as brave as it sounds, the distance is only around 2.5 miles, but is mainly cycle path/towpath, so takes a little longer than you might imagine.

I have some cannondale gloves for the winter, some overshoes, and will shortly be ordering a waterproof jacket, and maybe some waterproof trousers, ones that pack down ultra small.

I have a spare change of clothes at work, for if the worst case happens, and I do get soaked, oh and a towel also!

Cheers

Dan
biking_fox

Post by biking_fox »

Yep year round here too.

Fitness - it is amazing how quickly this drops off after even just a week or so not riding in. I'd hate to be off all winter.

Cold - not really a problem. On very cold days I use a lower gear and spin faster to warm myself up. Leggings help and windproof gloves are a must.

Rain - it's not fun. Full waterproofs and Goretex shoes. Hubgearfreak has it about right, nearly always you miss the worst. I use toeclips, and currently the same pair of shoes as I cycle in - the Goretex helps, but somedays you still get a wet foot. Maybe I should go for a work pair and a cycling pair.

Dark - good lights essential. But even then drivers and pedestrians don't see you so well. Dark and rain can be very dangerous. I'm as visable as I can be, but if you don't look you won't see me. And they don't look.

Work - if you can persuede them to have a shower fitted then it doesn't matter what the weather attempts.
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

I'll put a vote in for Simon as he isn't registered here. He commutes by bike all year, only about 3 miles each way though. has done for the last 7 years.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

of course, when it's wet, muddy, salty & etc. on the roads, there is a transmission system that is better (especially in these conditions) :wink:
mhara

Post by mhara »

Yes, I'm a year-rounder.
One place I worked I rode past a sign-manufacturing company each day - they had one of those temperature/time of day large LEDs on their factory wall. Once you're into the minus temperatures it's hard to tell the difference between -1 and -5 :)

Minus temps make my cheek-bones ache like crazy after a while. And those aren't the only 'cheeks' that feel frozen :wink:

At least when it rains the temperatures are up a bit. Anything over 10 C - luxury.
Last edited by mhara on 8 Aug 2007, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Python

Post by Lady Python »

I'll be joining the ranks of year-round commuters this year too. My commute is short, only 2.5 miles. Not keen on riding in wind though so that would probably be car days.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

biking_fox wrote:Work - if you can persuede them to have a shower fitted then it doesn't matter what the weather attempts.

That's sort of my answer to what I do when it rains while cycling.

I answer that I get wet. But I get wetter in the shower so it doesn't bother me too much.

I suppose I'm fairly lucky in having a shower at work.

When I worked in 5 Ways, Birmingham the company didn't have showers, so I joined the Gym down the road and used their shower every morning. The gym membership every month was still cheaper than travelling to work by car or public transport.

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have been year round cycle commuting since 1983. Distance has varied from 6 miles, to my current 18 mile each way trip. I do sometimes use the car but this is usually dependant on other outside influences; going off to a race/appt of some sort etc etc after work. I do confess that because of shift work when on a 2-10 shift I take the car to within 6 miles and ride from there (am usually straight back on a 7am start next day so do need to get home and get some zz's). However it is not unusual for me to "do a ride" from parked car before work, so still get the miles in.

Weather; often prefer my commute in the winter, it is cold regardless of the time of day so need appropriate clothes all the time. The rest of the year it can be v. cold early am or late pm, but hot at 3pm or before 2pm, so have piles of spare clothes to carry to and from.

Sometimes the weather can be off putting and with such a long commute severe winds are not fun, I confess I do use the car sometimes when windy, if it was a shorter commute it would be less off-putting. Even then have been known to park about a mile or so from work and ride the last bit, we have very limited parking and because it is such a nightmare some of the local roads have residential only parking restrictions.
Short distances give you less chance to get warm.....!

Most off-putting bit is if clothes have not dried ready for journey home, we used to have uncovered radiators to dry stuff on but now they are all hidden away, however it is warm enough that most of the clothes dry fairly well, just shoes are a problem, they get stuffed with paper towels.

Happy commuting all.