Got the police coming out...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dalifnei

Got the police coming out...

Post by dalifnei »

Had a very close shave yesterday, my closest in almost a year of commuting daily.

Was passing another cyclist at about 25mph, and she wasn't far in to the left possibly due to the road surface so I moved to her right hand side... I was to the left edge of the right lane (2 lanes). There was traffic well behind me when I moved over, but a car caught up very fast. Then I heard 3 short beeps and then a VERY close pass and pull in across my front wheel. The very closest pass since I started cycling, gave me a bit of a fright. We both stopped beside each other at the lights, and the occupants (an older couple) would down their window because I shook my head at them and waved my arm (like an idiot), and started bawling at me... "YOU WERE OVERTAKING HER! YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT LANE!" I was trying to say I'm allowed to be in the right lane but they kept shouting.

So I called the police. ... and they are coming out to take a statement!
Si

Re: Got the police coming out...

Post by Si »

Sorry to hear that you've been the victim of what sound like eejits.
Did you get any witness details (eg the cyclist you were over taking) or cam footage - otherwise I think it might just be a case of your word against theirs so you'll have to rely on them saying something stoopid to the police should they talk to the old couple.
Big T

Post by Big T »

I despair of the British motoring public. Too often, they simply don't know the rules of the road or the highway code. Only last week, a bloke tried to knock me off because he claimed I was too far out. Last Sunday, on a deserted road, with 2 carraigeways, an idiot drives past and shouts "Single File!".
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

whilst none of the above examples are of errant cycling - the rules of the road are not even relevant. since when did it become the motorist's duty/right to admonish errant cyclists with 1500kg weapons? i suspect that if i tried it against a shopkeeper who refused to honour a warranty, or an employer who refused their part timers holiday pay, i'd be in very deep water.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Best of luck, but I doubt you'll get anywhere - there wasn't any accident and they won't pursue a Careless Driving ticket on your say-so. Was there a traffic island or other obstacle on your right, restricting your close-passer's ability to move further to the right? Or oncoming vehicles?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
dalifnei

Post by dalifnei »

no, could have passed plenty space... Or waited! Just teaching me a lesson
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Must have been very narrow lanes if you needed to go into lane 2 to pass another cyclist?

Dual carriageway or single marked out with double lanes? A google street view image would help us see where you where.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Sounds like a 'revenge' or 'punishment' pass (or whatever the term is) - very unpleasant and definitely out of order. The next worst thing before actual road rage. But I still expect - based on outcomes of other cases described on this forum - that the police won't follow it through. A shame, but it happens!

Taking primary position, in whichever lane you happen to be in (in your case the Rh lane), would at least present the following motorist with no ambiguity: i.e. you 'have' the lane. He would have had to move right over to the opposite carriageway to overtake - if he must overtake...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

Mark,
Possibly he was following the highway code and giving the cyclist as much room as he would give a car, who knows she could have had to swerve to avoid a pothole and put them both under the wheels of the car racing towards the red traffic lights.
Yma o Hyd
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

The fact you've got the police to take any interest/action at all is worth something. Most of the time when I have reported bad driving they claim lack of resources to pursue the matter. A couple of times they have spoken to the driver - it all seems to depend on which officer you get. I got one particular officer in the Hampshire road policing unit who pretty much said that unless I got knocked off and seriously injured he wasn't interested and this was when i was reporting a driving for clipping my handlebar mirror while overtaking in what I percieved to be a deliberately intimidating manner.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

I had a close pass, twice, just the other night with a Co-Op lorry.

On one pass, on a single-lane trunk road, the driver cut in early, and I took it to be just an error on his part. Due to traffic lights ahead being at red, I then passed him, and other traffic, half a mile later.

From those lights, the road turns into a dual carriageway. Half a mile along there on the green light, he buzzed me at just beyond elbow distance!

I've called it in, and am awaiting a response.

I hate the attitude of crap drivers that it's dangerous to cycle, so they'll just prove it by ensuring that it really is dangerous.

I'll let you know the outcome.
jezer

Post by jezer »

I wish you the best of luck. I often post on my local newspaper's forum, and while many comments are pro cycling, some display a total arrogance to us. The usual arguments come up about us not paying for the roads, so we shouldn't be there, etc... :shock:
Power to the pedals
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Mark1978 wrote:Must have been very narrow lanes if you needed to go into lane 2 to pass another cyclist?

I hope you don't routinely skim past other cyclists or pedestrians when there's clear space to the right ?

Just asking because I've had several incidents on the Bristol railway path where following cyclists decided I was being too generous and should have left room for their double overtake.
I tend to assume they ordinarily drive Audis.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

gentlegreen wrote:I hope you don't routinely skim past other cyclists or pedestrians when there's clear space to the right ?

Me, overtake other cyclists, haha, good one ;)
Secondly, a don't find myself cycling on dual carriageways often (ever).
jezer

Post by jezer »

gentlegreen wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Must have been very narrow lanes if you needed to go into lane 2 to pass another cyclist?

I hope you don't routinely skim past other cyclists or pedestrians when there's clear space to the right ?

Just asking because I've had several incidents on the Bristol railway path where following cyclists decided I was being too generous and should have left room for their double overtake.
I tend to assume they ordinarily drive Audis.

Ah, Audis. The vehicle of choice for bad drivers these days. They seem to have taken over from BMWs and MBs
Power to the pedals