The most climb for the least miles!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tigger

The most climb for the least miles!

Post by Tigger »

With my Scottish holiday coming up I've been out looking for hills today... yes, there are some in Essex :wink:

This got me wondering if we could have a sort-of challenge to see who can make a route with the most total climb in the least miles. Perhaps not a challenge, so much as a geographical description of where you live. Or should that be topographical?

One of my regular circuits is 17 miles for a total climb of about 730ft. My first attempt at improving it gave me 26 miles for 1200ft: I basically zig-zagged up and down one side of the Colne valley. Obviously a lot more miles for the extra climb but that was ok for today. I'll be looking to see if I can find a 20 mile route which goes over 1000ft total climb.

Attempt 1
Attempt 1

Although it's just a bit of fun, the 'rules' for this could be:
- from your home - or wherever you normally start from - and back ie should be a circuit
- you can only go up each hill once
- should make an enjoyable ride - no going on 'nasty' roads which you wouldn't normally go near
- preferably actually do the ride rather than just playing on the computer :lol:
- elevation data can be from your bike computer or BikeHike or similar (yes, I know they all calculate it differently but I hesitate to say you must use BikeHike!)

If you like to be contrary then howabout the most miles for the least climb? (I know I can cycle eastwards for about 5 miles with only 50ft of climb!)

Edited to add: information needed - distance/ total climb/ approx location eg county (or counties). Elevation profile optional!
Last edited by Tigger on 8 May 2013, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Viking

Re: The most climb for the least miles!

Post by Mr. Viking »

When I go home I might have a stab at riding up Slieve Croob. I've hiked from my house and back in a day, so should be doable as a cycle. Won't be at home for a month or so, so I'll have to report back
meic

Post by meic »

Going "around the block", ie out of the door and taking the first left turn where possible that isnt a dead end.
17 miles and

Elevation Data
Total Ascent: 1940 ft
Total Descent: 1938 ft
Start Elevation: 431 ft
End Elevation: 433 ft Elevation
Min Elevation: 304 ft Gradient
Max Elevation: 1159 ft

I dread to think what it would be like if I went out of my way to add some hills.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

meic wrote:...Start Elevation: 431 ft
End Elevation: 433 ft

Your home seems to have risen 2ft whilst you've been out riding, or have you parked your bike up on some bricks?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Post by meic »

The big red blob on bikehike stops me from doing a perfect circle, I can not get back to the exact start in the virtual world.

In the real world the bike lives upstairs in the workshop, so if I was to carry it up a couple of stairs before turning the GPS off. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

If you did a few laps, gaining 2ft at a time, couldn't you just ride in through the first floor window?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Michael R

Post by Michael R »

A nice one is Martigny in switzerland at 1500 ft and peddling up the Gt St Bernard pass which is 8400ft. only 6,900 ft in 30 miles. It's nicer descending
RickH

Post by RickH »

My equivalent of Meic's going "round the block" here in Lancashire is

Round the block.JPG

:D

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

There is an undefined, ie too steep for a gradient, ascent & descent I have to face everytime I go out on my bike.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

gaz wrote:If you did a few laps, gaining 2ft at a time, couldn't you just ride in through the first floor window?

What if meic went the other way around his route? If he dropped 2ft with every circuit like one of those Escher drawings he could use the change in potential energy to do work. I smell a perpetural motion machine. It would work all the better if he filled his pockets with lead.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Looking at some of the everyday routes it makes you realise how lucky you have it on your own doorstep, there's not much to speak of in terms of hills round here (N.Herts/S. Beds), i just try to ride them as hard as I can when I feel well enough so really there's no competition at all for me in this for local riding from home.
But so I don't feel left out 8) I did this in 2011 when visiting friends nr Chamonix for 2 days (well actually help them drive a fully loaded transit from Hertfordshire) It's the hardest riding I've ever done and it was flippin' hot to boot! Sick thing is I'd only left 65-70psi in the 25mm tyres...grrrrrrr :x

After having had a gruelling drive the whole of the previous day I decided a recce up Col des Montets (1461m) the first day was a good idea as there are some really tight switchbacks, that was hard enough :shock: I was offered to go on the cablecar up Mt.Blanc the following day but having brought the shopping bike (well a carbon/ally specialized globe :wink: ) I thought sod it I'll push the boat out and go for a twiddle into Switzerland.
So 6650ft over 44 miles, bagging Montets twice and Col des la Forclaz(1527m), given my general health I was lucky I was feeling okay as this was really really at my limit. I had to stop a fair few times to take on fluids and to have a breather as it was about 25C. I got to Forclaz in 2hrs 10 minutes riding time, it was about 2:35-45 back as I really struggled back up Montets.
Glad I did it but I'm certainly not designed body wise for climbing, I may well move back to Hull in my latter years where a flyover across the railway line is considered mountainous :lol:
Attachments
col de lea forclaz.JPG
Last edited by Tonyf33 on 10 May 2013, 3:25pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Michael R wrote:A nice one is Martigny in switzerland at 1500 ft and peddling up the Gt St Bernard pass which is 8400ft. only 6,900 ft in 30 miles. It's nicer descending

I looked at Martigny and people asked if I was going to cycle there from Chamonix and back, I said I was brave not suicidal :lol:
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

"If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."

Not surprisingly, the locals ride an additional 1 1/2 miles around the Embarcadero than ride up the hills. They're not stupid.

From where I lived in Millbrae, the 18 km to work had 40 m of climbing. Sod the hills.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Going (only) to Tavistock and back from here, taking my trailer shopping gives:
12.2miles
1,438ft total ascent.

I always reckon on doing 100ft of ascent per mile. Anything less is a bonus.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Hill aren't hard to come by around here. A loop I do quite often from Chester-le-Street to Tow Low and Lanchester via Peth Bank.
30.4mi Distance
2,140ft Elevation

Giving 71ft of climbing per mile.