Hatred, stupidity or both?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Re: Hatred, stupidity or both?

Post by meic »

He was hardly singing her praises, more like he was portraying an image of being very reasonable and letting her hang herself. The company seems to deserve all the praise they are getting, funding local events and taking immediate action about her conduct.

The solicitor may be a family friend or a gift (too many) from indulgent parents.
Yma o Hyd
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

I am expecting this to feature on "Have I got news for you." tonight, BBC 1, 21:00.

They love this kind of story.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Let's hope Clarkson is not in the chair!
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It's Alexander Armstrong this week.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

The Mechanic wrote:Let's hope Clarkson is not in the chair!

Ha, another Clarkson bagger :roll: , he is the least of cyclists problems, if you think his in jest rantings against cyclists(how many times exactly since he's being on TV?) are a problem what about all the other groups he has a 'go' at. He's a bit of a loon, outspoken and says a few crass things at times but if you reckon he is a reason that cyclists don't get treated fairly by motorists then you're way off the mark..
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tonyf33 wrote:Ha, another Clarkson bagger :roll: , he is the least of cyclists problems..........

IMO he doesn't help,I think we have to remember who he's preaching to.
A good element of his followers are,to term a phrase "petrol heads" and as such tend to be a little "urgent" in their use of the motor car,that element aren't of the highway code reading or adhering type,his comedic "delivery" lands on their eardrums as gospel.
Much in the same way a KKK leader's utterings are held up to be the truth.

The more thinking motorists that watch his performances see it for what it is a show.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

Ayesha wrote:I am expecting this to feature on "Have I got news for you." tonight, BBC 1, 21:00.

No cyclists in the panel so I wonder how that will pan out. They may just trot out all the stereotype "cyclists make up the law as they go" rubbish. Going on the FNRttC tonight so I'll have to watch tomorrow.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
SilverBadge

Post by SilverBadge »

Tonyf33 wrote:

Ha, another Clarkson bagger :roll: , he is the least of cyclists problems, if you think his in jest rantings against cyclists(how many times exactly since he's being on TV?) are a problem what about all the other groups he has a 'go' at. He's a bit of a loon, outspoken and says a few crass things at times but if you reckon he is a reason that cyclists don't get treated fairly by motorists then you're way off the mark..
He's poured scorn at Albanians, caravans etc but I can't think of any group other than cyclists where he has stated that they are only there at his grace, because he pays for (and owns) the roads. And his legitimising of reckless and lawless driving is going to affect vulnerable road users most.
Back on topic - I've now watched most of the interviews. The "I'm the real victim" PR push by Way and her constant companion lawyer are particularly cringeworthy.
1) How clever do(n't) you have to be to become an accountant? Emma Way is 21 so could be a graduate if only a recent trainee (not much info on her on the company site now) but seems far stupider than any I have met recently.
2) I hope this does go to court, although the PR push looks aimed at creating "reasonable" doubt so the CPS let people down. Version B of what actually happened is asking for a coach and horses to be driven right through it, particularly if the Twits are admissible as evidence. I think the lawyer's on shaky ground with some of the claims he's made too, or is that normal for the legal profession?
3) The driving and the tweeting should not be conflated. That does not mean that without the tweet, everything would have been fine, it means that without the tweet she would have got away without being identified, and her serially bad behaviour behind the wheel might not have been discovered.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

She is dissociating herself from the tweet, saying how stupid it was -- well, yes, she would say that, wouldn't she? It is vital for her legal case that the driving and tweet (which gives her own account of her own driving) are not conflated.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tonyf33 wrote:

Google Malignant Narcissistic Personality disorder - Then tick the boxes for Clarkson
benjaminn

Post by benjaminn »

My experiences on the road do not seen to agree with the other posters here - I have experienced more aggressive behaviour from middle aged male drivers than any other age/gender group. I don't feel that young people feel more entitled than older people either - quite the contrary, particularly at the moment.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

It was a bank holiday and it's quietened down - hopefully we'll hear how it turned out.

Call me sexist and ageist, but I was surprised - definitely usually men at least a bit older than her - though at 53 they all look young.

She's a self-absorbed kid with a weird alter-ego - hopefully it'll get through to what passes for a brain.
Probably did us all a favour by getting it in the media.
For every one of her, there are thousands of dangerous braying morons driving killing machines who publicly say what she did - apart from the admission of guilt.
Andyrew K

Post by Andyrew K »

The case has now passed to the CPS. It'll be interesting to see what charges, if any, they bring: http://bbc.in/14BhByX
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I wonder if she'll get a £5 fine or a £10 fine...
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.