Drivers reaction to different bikes.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
2Tubs

Drivers reaction to different bikes.

Post by 2Tubs »

I think I have made an observation.

Drivers seem far more impatient with me when I'm on the Brommie compared to my road bike or even mtb.

Do drivers take a look at the Brompton and decide that it's not a real bike and therefore I deserve to be mown down?

Being a nerdy cycle instructor, I feel that I occupy the correct riding position to the road and the only reason I can think for this apparent difference ion driver behaviour is their preconception about the bike.

Or am I just a touchy cycling nazi*

Gazza

* For the benefit of Jezza Clarky, the driving buffoon >;o)
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
mhara

Post by mhara »

Thanks for confirming what I've been suspecting.

I know I experience traffic differently depending whether I'm on the Brompton or the Dawes. Had thought I was imagining things.

It's especially noticeable if I've flitered up the inside and got quite far ahead - if the traffic then frees up and the vehicles you've passed then overtake you some of them seem to pass closer to your right elbow than is desirable and pull in to be directly in front of you much quicker. Engine meanwhile going at a higher rev., even if it means they then have to resort to the brakes becuase they're in danger of hitting the vehicle in front.

It's as if I shouldn't be playing with my little 'toy' bike in the big boy's playground.
Si

Post by Si »

I certainly generate more comments when on my Birdy. Some of them are even psoitive. I would have expected to be noticed on it more because it's something different.

Perhaps some people think your Brommie occupies a similar niche to a 3spd shopping bike with a basket on the front: ie ridden by some one who can be bullied rather than a rufty-tufty MTBer who might fight back?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wasn't there a "study" done by some chap wearing a blonde wig? He found that cars kept away from him! (Mind you, I'd think I'd avoid a chap in a blonde wig too!)

But seriously, perception is everything. If motor vehicle drivers KNOW you're in control, and look the part, they'll treat you differently. Perhaps Bromptons attract bad drivers.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

I subscribe to "The Theory of BIG"

It's all about contemporary symbolism . . 'innit ?

Woe betide anyone who attempts to squash me when I'm on my racing Brompton.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Graham wrote:I subscribe to "The Theory of BIG"

It's all about contemporary symbolism . . 'innit ?

Woe betide anyone who attempts to squash me when I'm on my racing Brompton.

I’d read the theory of big some time back.

And I think it’s why I’m surprised I was given less respect on the Brommie. Being different and a little more wobbly I thought drivers would have given me more room, not less.

As you and Mick says and the theory of BIG suggests, perhaps it’s time for a blonde wig and maybe breast implants. With a beard, I’m sure that’ll get me noticed.

Oh, and Racing Brompton?

An oxymoron, surely?

>;o)

Gazza
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
And smile.
Graham

Post by Graham »

2Tubs wrote:. . . I’m surprised I was given less respect on the Brommie. Being different and a little more wobbly I thought drivers would have given me more room, not less.

Despite the theories, you never know how motorists are going to react. Possibly best to have a range of tactics to suit the circumstances.
I suppose we all know that.

2Tubs wrote:. . . the theory of BIG suggests, perhaps it’s time for a blonde wig and maybe breast implants. With a beard, I’m sure that’ll get me noticed.

That sounds like fun. Go for it ! . . . . . . Be sure to let us know how you get on.

2Tubs wrote:. . . Racing Brompton? An oxymoron, surely?

Yikes - a non-believer. According to my holy book ( which is obviously better than yours ) you must suffer humiliation with five virgins. . . . . . Probably better to suffer this before you get the breast implants though !!
AlbionLass

Post by AlbionLass »

"the theory of BIG suggests, perhaps it’s time for a blonde wig and maybe breast implants. With a beard, I’m sure that’ll get me noticed."

It's always worked for me...

:wink:
LaStradaGiusta

Post by LaStradaGiusta »

Si wrote:Perhaps some people think your Brommie occupies a similar niche to a 3spd shopping bike with a basket on the front: ie ridden by some one who can be bullied rather than a rufty-tufty MTBer who might fight back?

I would have thought that too. However, I recently took delivery of a big orange Dutch bike with a girl's stepover frame which I cycle wearing regular clothing and quite slowly, so I don't get sweaty and dishevelled. I don't think it is possible to look more nerdy on a bike and yet (so far) the traffic has been giving me more room than on my road bike or MTB.

To get lots of space, the following things work for me:
• riding with an offside pannier with a bright yellow reflective raincover
• riding with my daughter(s)
• riding with a trailer
• riding in East Anglia as opposed to Birmingham ;-)
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Graham wrote:you must suffer humiliation with five virgins. . . . . .

You say that like you think I never went through puberty.

My humilation goes way beyond that. My pubescent, hormonal teeneage years were punishment enough. In fact, I think I might be the re-incarnation of John Christie.

Gazza
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
And smile.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

LaStradaGiusta wrote:
Si wrote:Perhaps some people think your Brommie occupies a similar niche to a 3spd shopping bike with a basket on the front: ie ridden by some one who can be bullied rather than a rufty-tufty MTBer who might fight back?

I would have thought that too. However, I recently took delivery of a big orange Dutch bike with a girl's stepover frame which I cycle wearing regular clothing and quite slowly, so I don't get sweaty and dishevelled. I don't think it is possible to look more nerdy on a bike and yet (so far) the traffic has been giving me more room than on my road bike or MTB.

• riding with a trailer

I recognise this man from this post.

Good day Elvis >;o)

Gazza
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
And smile.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

2Tubs wrote:Oh, and Racing Brompton?

An oxymoron, surely?

Gazza

I read about a bromton race held in london recently. Competitors had to wear suits and begin by sitting at a desk upstairs in an office (somewhere in London - i don't know). They had to run downstairs with their bike, unfold it and see who got to charing cross station first - or something like that.

I'm going to start a league

(the reactions I get when riding my Brompton in Sheffield is like you'd get juggling with bananas in the chimp house at the zoo).
Si

Post by Si »

LaStradaGiusta wrote:

• riding with a trailer

Another thing that I noticed if you want more space: ride with your coat unzipped so that it flaps around behind you. (a method tried and tested in Birmingham :wink: )
LaStradaGiusta

Post by LaStradaGiusta »

2Tubs wrote:I recognise this man from this post.

Good day Elvis >;o)

Gazza

Ah, you rumbled me. Too many clues obviously.

Si wrote:Another thing that I noticed if you want more space: ride with your coat unzipped so that it flaps around behind you. (a method tried and tested in Birmingham ;-)

Especially if you're female and have neglected to wear anything beneath it ;-)
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

On a trike it's even more marked.

Get noticed a lot and get give much more room even tho lower. Drivers don't seem to mind so much when you leave a couple of feet between left front wheel and road edge, maybe because wider overall so even if you are tucked in they no can pass without a proper overtake?

Even to the point where one time I was at the stop-line of a roundabout waiting for a gap in the traffic coming around and this car just stopped ON THE ROUNDABOUT gawping.....

P.