National Bad Driving Day

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jezer

National Bad Driving Day

Post by jezer »

It was today wasn't it? I think it must have been with the number of drivers intent on causing injury. I was almost wiped out on several roundabouts, not to mention close passes on our club run this morning. I suspect the summer weather confuses drivers onto thinking they can do what they like. If Visit UK would like a strap line I would suggest 'Britain Welcomes Bad Drivers' :roll:
Power to the pedals
snibgo

Re: National Bad Driving Day

Post by snibgo »

I have a theory that a change of weather causes stupid driving. The first sunshine after months of gloom, the first rain after a long dry spell, the first snow -- that's when I seem to get grief.

I have no explanation for the phenomenom. And my theory may be wrong.
byegad

Post by byegad »

I can explain the one in the wet after a long dry spell. Roads are particularly greasy after a dry spell as the first water hits it. This confuses the drivers.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
jezer

Post by jezer »

I don't think it's wrong. In the days before air con in cars I am sure drivers would get addled by the heat and do stupid things. They do the same now, but what's the excuse when they are encompassed by lovely climate control?
Power to the pedals
dodger

Post by dodger »

It happened to me last week, only I was in the car. I've reached the conclusion that some days are "off" days and best "off" the bike. It just seems to be a general madness. Don't know if it is the weather; perhaps there's a subconscious lemming day mentality every so often!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

IME it's bad driving day everyday :?
It's also bad policing and lenient sentencing day too :twisted:
Not too mention pothole day whilst we're at it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

On a sunny day you also get the "weekend drivers".
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mark1978 wrote:On a sunny day you also get the "weekend drivers".

I believe the Spanish have a specific word for that: domingueros or something like that....
Anyway it's reassuring to know it happens everywhere - not just on our doorstep...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

Pleased to report that I found the opposite. Special mention goes to the souped up Scooby, whose youthful driver predicted the possibility of a cyclist crossing his path and waited for me to wave him on. Only one slightly close pass (very expensive 4 x 4) in 50 miles :-)
scooby.jpg
Geriatrix

Post by Geriatrix »

snibgo wrote:I have a theory that a change of weather causes stupid driving. The first sunshine after months of gloom, the first rain after a long dry spell, the first snow -- that's when I seem to get grief.

+1
Or when the clock change.

I'll go months without incident and suddenly get a spate all in one day, coincidentally with change of clock/season/weather.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled - Richard Feynman
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I have often experienced that if one driver overtakes passing too closely the next two or three will do the same and I sometimes think they see it as a challenge to try and pass even closer than the car in front did.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I was going to respond saying it's all been good over here. Lots of space left on overtakes, people hanging back until the opportunity arises etc...

Then yesterday, first I had a car slow down at the side of me and ask for directions to somewhere I'd never heard of (plus I'm doing near 20mph) at which point some old git in one of those Chrysler 'hearses' behind him starts beeping. The guy accelerates off but then the old git pulls along side and resumes beeping and gesticulating madly before finally moving off - a definite astonishing moment...

Then as I approach the turning for the main estate I live on there's a set of bollards which represent a narrow pinch point just in front of the junction. I'd moved to the center of the lane to go through the pinch point just as a car comes up behind me and does the 'overtake' weave (you know the one, where they sit inches from your bottom and the car swings left and right). As I went through the bollards I heard someone shout "twit"... (may not have had an 'i' in it :lol: )
Interestingly as I turned right into the estate they then dropped right back. I can only assume they suddenly realised the guy on the bike was likely one of their neighbours. (In the past I've used the estates Facebook page to name and shame drivers).
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

kwackers wrote:Then yesterday, first I had a car slow down at the side of me and ask for directions to somewhere I'd never heard of (plus I'm doing near 20mph) at which point some old git in one of those Chrysler 'hearses' behind him starts beeping. The guy accelerates off but then the old git pulls along side and resumes beeping and gesticulating madly before finally moving off - a definite astonishing moment...

Guy behind probably thought you were talking to a friend so 'blamed' you for the delay.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

snibgo wrote:I have a theory that a change of weather causes stupid driving. The first sunshine after months of gloom, the first rain after a long dry spell, the first snow -- that's when I seem to get grief.

I think your theory is spot on. All of the incidences of bad driving that I have experienced (except one) have been by fellow males. I can only guess from their antics that they were 'inadequately endowed' and used their cars to seek to bolster their egos...
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

have a funny thing happen today on my way to work..cycling past a junction 2 cars shot out the second one cut me up but he was in such a hurry he didn`t see the queue in font of him...bang up the back of the van infront
I`m def too old for this!