Funny story

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
FromDirt2Road

Funny story

Post by FromDirt2Road »

Today I was cycling to work and as it is a beautiful day I was just taking it casual at 10mph and then along side me appeared a chav dressed in jeans and a baseball cap riding a halfords own Appollo switchback, he looked at my bike and challenged me to a race, I just looked at him and laughed, telling him he didn't stand a chance and to just roll on. He then started cutting me up and being a complete tool, so I told him i'll race him in the bus lane as I was getting quite annoyed with him by this time. We got to the bus lane and I was gone leaving him about 250 yds behind me in a short space of time, I got to the end of the bus lane and there was a red light, so I stopped waiting when along came the chav straight through the red light, a car pulled out so he manouvered to go on the path and slammed his back wheel so hard on the curb causing him a snake bite :lol: the light turned green, I merged with the traffic and he was calling "mate mate you got a pump" I said yeah but as you run the red you can walk the rest of the way you fool and carried on with my journey.
NUKe

Re: Funny story

Post by NUKe »

Shame you didn't stop and show him that cyclists can be kind. And please stop using that horrible derogatory term to describe Young people
NUKe

Post by FromDirt2Road »

NUKe wrote:Shame you didn't stop and show him that cyclists can be kind. And please stop using that horrible derogatory term to describe Young people

Chav is actually the official name and is recognised and hopefully by me not helping him, he will learn to not run a red light again, if he would of stopped like I did, then his bike wouldn't of got disabled. So really the morale of the story is, good things come to those who wait :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that chavs were available in all ages. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
FromDirt2Road

Post by FromDirt2Road »

meic wrote:I thought that chavs were available in all ages. :mrgreen:

They are he looked about 25 too!
meic

Post by meic »

That is young to me. :cry:
Yma o Hyd
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

FromDirt2Road wrote:Chav is actually the official name and is recognised

recognised by whom?
it is a term used by the conservative press and the sneering classes to marginalise and demonise working class kids and young adults. It has no place on public forums.
And I did mean conservative and not Conservative.
NUKe

Post by Edwards »

NUKe wrote:

recognised by whom?
it is a term used by the conservative press and the sneering classes to marginalise and demonise working class kids and young adults. It has no place on public forums.

Not on this Council Estate it is a label of pride to some, and not all below 30*.

*If you take it to mean Council Housing And Violent.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

NUKe wrote:recognised by whom?

Looks like I'll have to find a new term for the folk I see wearing grubby 'sports' gear, walking a large dog whilst effing and blinding, with a can and smoking rollups that I see all the time.

Can't be bothered typing that lot in every time I refer to one. :wink:

(Usually in the age range 25 to 55 - estimated since most look somewhat older than their years).
jezer

Post by jezer »

Not too many of the aforementioned in North Wiltshire, except in Swindon of course, oh and perhaps Melksham. Cycling in the Pewsey Vale today, through very affluent villages. Most drivers behaved impeccably, although there were a couple of trainee chavs in loud Astras or similar. They must have escaped from the towns mentioned above :lol:
Power to the pedals
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's a word with a perfectly respectable etymology, derived from Romani chavi meaning 'child'. Yes I looked that up, but I knew most of it already. Now, in forum-space, the term 'POB' has been slated as derogatory. I don't have a problem with the word 'chav' myself, let the Mods have the final say...

If the youth (good non-controversial word there!) in question suffered a snake-bite, no mere pump is going to sort him out anyway. He'd be unlikely to be carrying a repair kit or a spare, would he? If I'm reluctant to lend out my pump for whatever reason, I generally come up with the excuse "wrong type of valve" implying that my pump won't fit Schraeder valves (it will, but I don't advertise that fact)....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
meic

Post by meic »

NUKe wrote:

recognised by whom?

Can I change that to be more to my liking?

it is a term used by the conservative press and the sneering classes to disparagingly describe some kids and young adults and old adults of a certain attitude. .
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

"Chav" when used to describe anyone from a certain location, in a certain income bracket, who wears a certain style of clothing, then I'd say it says more about the bigoted views of the person calling them that.

On the other hand, when used to describe someone who routinely indulges in anti-social behaviour and cares not a jot what harm they do to others, then I'm more inclined to let it ride.

Question is: did the term "chav" jumps into your head on first seeing said individual or after seeing their behaviour?
MattyDeez

Post by MattyDeez »

Im from the north-east, take it from me. Chav is like the bible around here.

Plenty of dole scum as well.
meic

Post by meic »

Plenty of dole scum as well.

Not many jobs though. :wink:
Yma o Hyd