Lycra Lout Surprise

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Shootist

Lycra Lout Surprise

Post by Shootist »

So, there I was on my motorbike, sitting at the lights near the magistrate's court in Burton on Trent today waiting for the lights to change to green. They'd been red for a while. All of a sudden a British Standard Lycra Lout shot through the lights from behind me, to the nearside (I was in the left lane) and continued upon his merry way. Well, I just thought "typical" while wishing him a double puncture on a wet night sometime soon. Up till this point I was about to dismiss it from my mind when I saw him turn left into the police station private car park.

I was peeved that he might be a police officer, so I followed him to the gate, which was slow to open, and I said "I hope you're not a police officer." He replied "Why?" I said "Because you've just deliberately ridden through a red light." To my surprise, he replied "It's a bike, it doesn't apply." I said "It does, the Road Traffic Act applies to cyclists." to my further surprise he simply said "It doesn't matter." He then rode off into the compound.

Now, it was about half an hour before the normal 2pm start of an afternoon shift, he had the build of a police officer, and was in his 40s with greying hair. So, unlikely to be a probationer. OK, he could have been civilian staff, perhaps a call handler, or a cleaner. I have my opinion as to what he was, but I doubt the forum net nanny would allow me to say. :evil:
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
NUKe

Re: Lycra Lout Surprise

Post by NUKe »

My FIL who was an inspector,now retired, always says pretty much the same thing, red lights don't apply to bikes. He never rode through without looking but he really doesn't like to stop. As I am quicker than him I usually stop and catch him up later. I've got to admit though I do occasionally ignore the lights myself. If its all clear at quite times. It can be safer than sat wating for somebody to come and rear end you.
NUKe

Post by fossala »

I ride with a group sometimes, they always jump red lights (I don't). One of the lads is a very high up police officer.
Si

Post by Si »

Shootist wrote: I have my opinion as to what he was, but I doubt the forum net nanny would allow me to say. :evil:

funny isn't it...how some people insist that others follow the rules, but when they are made to follow rules they get peeved :wink:
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

To be blunt, I'm more bothered about him being willing to lie to a member of the public than I am him riding through a red light.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Why the surprise? Think about Andrew Mitchell and now the Stephen Lawrence fiasco! I'm afraid they have gone through the floor in my estimation now.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
southamptonadi

Post by southamptonadi »

I watched a PCSO approach a set of red lights and then just jump onto a pavement to go round the corner, i tooted and shook my head at him. He did not look bothered that i spotted him. I cant wait to catch one with my camera on.
rjb

Post by rjb »

C'mon guys - it shows that they only human like a lot of us.
:evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Why the surprise? Think about Andrew Mitchell and now the Stephen Lawrence fiasco! I'm afraid they have gone through the floor in my estimation now.

In any dealings I have ever had with the police, the floor is the high point to which they aspire, not the depths to which thay have now sunk...........

.........sorry, but not a high opinion of them I'm afraid
jezer

Post by jezer »

rjb wrote:C'mon guys - it shows that they only human like a lot of us.

If you mean being human is to break the law I'm afraid I don't get it. I accept I don't cycle in large towns or cities, but I never ride on the pavement or jump red lights, and I mean NEVER. Surely we must show an example to other road users that we are responsible citizens. When cycling I always use hand signals and obey the rules, and when driving I pass cyclists wide and slow after indicating my intention to overtake. I feel this sets an example to drivers behind, and in a small way will help to educate them. I have posted separately about an example of bad driving on our recent club run, but that was an exception and my experience is that the majority of drivers behave very well these days. Perhaps this is down to more of them being cyclists now than in the past.
Power to the pedals
mcslaski

Post by mcslaski »

jezer wrote:
rjb wrote:C'mon guys - it shows that they only human like a lot of us.

If you mean being human is to break the law I'm afraid I don't get it. I accept I don't cycle in large towns or cities, but I never ride on the pavement or jump red lights, and I mean NEVER. Surely we must show an example to other road users that we are responsible citizens. When cycling I always use hand signals and obey the rules, and when driving I pass cyclists wide and slow after indicating my intention to overtake. I feel this sets an example to drivers behind, and in a small way will help to educate them. I have posted separately about an example of bad driving on our recent club run, but that was an exception and my experience is that the majority of drivers behave very well these days. Perhaps this is down to more of them being cyclists now than in the past.

I agree. The attitude displayed by a minority of cyclists who feel that the law, or even simple courtesy doesn't apply to them makes it rough for the rest of us. I have seen a lot of unprovoked verbal from drivers in recent years, and to be honest it no longer surprises me. Reading the above gives me no doubts as to where a lot of it comes from.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

jezer wrote: Surely we must show an example to other road users that we are responsible citizens.

Indeed - especially when the Old Bill doesn't :lol:
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

chris_suffolk wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:Why the surprise? Think about Andrew Mitchell and now the Stephen Lawrence fiasco! I'm afraid they have gone through the floor in my estimation now.

In any dealings I have ever had with the police, the floor is the high point to which they aspire, not the depths to which thay have now sunk...........

+1 based on my experiences with them in the past and recently at my granddaughter's inquest,where their slapdash and downright unprofessionalism not mention unlawful handling of some of the investigation into the incident had to be seen and heard to be believed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rand

Post by rand »

chris_suffolk wrote:

Well said, that man!

Rand.
meic

Post by meic »

I dont agree.

The MET give other Police Forces a bad name.

My local Police are not bad*, though it is difficult to get much action on less serious issues.

* I am not saying that because I know one of them is (or was) on this forum. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd