The Waitrose Girl

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: The Waitrose Girl

Post by reohn2 »

snibgo wrote:Ouch, that hurt. Almost all of my cycling is for utility, not leisure. I've no intention of taking up leisure cycling. Does that mean I'm not even "a cyclist in the making"?

Some would have you believe :?
IMHO someone who is riding a bicycle(uni/tri or even quad) is a cyclist end of,I make no apologies for keep on saying it until people realise it's true :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

reohn2 wrote:
snibgo wrote:Ouch, that hurt. Almost all of my cycling is for utility, not leisure. I've no intention of taking up leisure cycling. Does that mean I'm not even "a cyclist in the making"?

Some would have you believe :?
IMHO someone who is riding a bicycle(uni/tri or even quad) is a cyclist end of,I make no apologies for keep on saying it until people realise it's true :)

Yep, to the wider world someone riding a bike is a cyclist. The same people who feel the need to distinguish think nothing about referring to 'motorists', referring to anybody operating a motor vehicle rather than a minority subgroup of enthusiasts
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Adam S wrote:Yep, to the wider world someone riding a bike is a cyclist. The same people who feel the need to distinguish think nothing about referring to 'motorists', referring to anybody operating a motor vehicle rather than a minority subgroup of enthusiasts

Exactly! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

Taking the 'motorist' analogy further.

Waitrose girl is a cyclist and those of us who are more enthusiastic and dedicated should be called "Pedal-heads". :lol:
Yma o Hyd
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

At least she was on a bike. I find it hard to be tough on women who are intimidated by traffic. Looking at then OP's Google street view, you can see a van well over onto the side of the road that the Waitrose girl should be using.
Chris the Sheep

Post by Chris the Sheep »

Merry_Wanderer wrote:Around Hinckley and parts of Coventry where I cycle to work it can seem very confusing about what is a pavement and what is a cycle path on the pavement. With the lack or in some cases, complete absence of signs and only a blue or white line on the pavement, I wouldn't be surprised if some people can't tell the difference

Funny you should mention Hinckley - I visit there quite regularly (my 'kids' live there), and I've always found the concept of shared-use around that town to be one of the most extreme forms of optimism; they seem to have just slapped white paint down all along the A5 and Coventry Road, or where the path is too narrow to even squeeze in a pushchair they've just left a gap in the paint. All it says is 'cyclists belong on the path', it has to be one of the laziest farcilities I've ever seen.

I recently took a bike down to my son and had to ride to the centre of Hinckley from Nuneaton station; like a good boy I tried to use the facilities, but gave up in the end after I waited for a couple walking a dog through a narrow stretch, then rang my bell to come past as the path widened. They were very nice about it, no problem there, but no sooner had I passed them than without warning I was dumped back onto the road; apparently I was supposed to then cross at the Pelican (could have been a Toucan, can't remember) and continue on the opposite path. It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

There is a huge complicated motorway island near me. It is very busy and negotiating it in a car needs all your attention.
There is an underpass and footbridge to enable one to reach the other side in safety. The LBS informed me that when it was built, the [not sure of the name] "Walkers Society" challenged the council on sharing it's use with cyclists. They won. Now there are no cycling signs all over it.
So cyclists have to try to negotiate the roundabout, that is heavily conjested with buses, giant 40 ton trucks and all the usual maniacs.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

So what happens is cyclists avoid the area entirely and so they are cut off from beyond the junction.