Crap cyclepaths

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mark1978

Re: Crap cyclepaths

Post by Mark1978 »

I remember reading that a while ago and it saying things like "2 metres is recommended", "1.5 metres if you have to", "1.2 metres if you really must". So what does the local authority take from this? How wide should these new cycle lanes be? 1.2 metres? Sorted.

Indeed if the table of provision, in regards to traffic speeds and traffic volumes were actually applied to the entire road network, instead of just here and there at random, we'd be in a much better position.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Si wrote:
TonyR wrote:Claiming the Congestion Charge as segregated cycling infrastructure in order to make your argument really is scraping the barrel.

You really do need to reply to what people write rather than what you might like them to have written in the interest of perusing a good argument! No where did I write anything about CC being anything to do with being a segregated bit of infrastructure.....one has to observe that the barrel seems firmly in your possession for the scraping of :wink:

Perhaps you should read what you write. Let me remind you:

(although London suggests that it is with it's most excellent bit of cycling infrastructure: the Congestion Charge)

You were saying?
Si

Post by Si »

TonyR wrote:
Si wrote:
TonyR wrote:Claiming the Congestion Charge as segregated cycling infrastructure in order to make your argument really is scraping the barrel.

You really do need to reply to what people write rather than what you might like them to have written in the interest of perusing a good argument! No where did I write anything about CC being anything to do with being a segregated bit of infrastructure.....one has to observe that the barrel seems firmly in your possession for the scraping of :wink:

Perhaps you should read what you write. Let me remind you:

(although London suggests that it is with it's most excellent bit of cycling infrastructure: the Congestion Charge)

You were saying?

Go on then, point out the word "segregated" in what I was saying....drums fingers....we are waiting.
SleepyJoe

Post by SleepyJoe »

mrj

Thanks for the link to DfT standards for cycling provision & other transport related stuff. Handy to know where to look.
It certainly highlights how poor most cycling provision is.
Shame that the front cover shows a cycle lane which is less than the 2.0m recommended width!
What hope do we have if the guidance even shows narrow lanes.

Thanks anyway, you have given me lots of reading now.

Mark
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

mjr wrote:There aren't many fully segregated, wide , direct, priority over side roads, type cycle paths. I can offer many in Norfolk that are fully segregated, wide and direct, but priority over side roads hasn't happened TTBOMK. Personally, I feel this is because there is always someone (are your ears burning, Sustrans?) willing to compromise and bless a crap cycle path

Though: http://road.cc/content/news/71980-voles ... s-thwarted

I've sat in meetings about this (as the volunteer Sustrans representative) and been berated by locals for not funding the compromised path. You can't win...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I've sat in meetings about this (as the volunteer Sustrans representative) and been berated by locals for not funding the compromised path. You can't win...

Personally, I wish I'd seen more in Sustrans that were like you...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
mjr wrote:There aren't many fully segregated, wide , direct, priority over side roads, type cycle paths. I can offer many in Norfolk that are fully segregated, wide and direct, but priority over side roads hasn't happened TTBOMK. Personally, I feel this is because there is always someone (are your ears burning, Sustrans?) willing to compromise and bless a crap cycle path

Though: http://road.cc/content/news/71980-voles ... s-thwarted

I've sat in meetings about this (as the volunteer Sustrans representative) and been berated by locals for not funding the compromised path. You can't win...

In many cases, it is because the objections of cycle campaigners are largely ignored or overridden, even up to central government.

I am also certain that some engineers (I hope they aren't very many) propose utterly crap designs so that they can fix a few inadequacies, make cycle campaigners feel better, then install something that is still inadequate, but no longer completely rubbish. Then, everyone feels like they've won :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom