an evenings ride around Oxford

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ferrit worrier

an evenings ride around Oxford

Post by ferrit worrier »

I've just got back from Oxford where our Sarah is at Uni, she's moving across the city along with some friends and I went down with a van to help out. Drove down yesterday and got the van more or less loaded by half past six, Sarah then took me on a ride round the city. First port of call was her Uni campus, Oxford Brookes at the top of Harcourt hill, and a look at the labs where she's working. All locked up so we had a nosey from the outside :wink: . Then it was back down the hill to the city, and a great tour round. down little ally ways here and there, she was leading tinging on her bell as some were quite narrow and it warned others, I did notice that other cyclists were doing the same. people just moved out of the way with a smile, it was very relaxed and pleasant. I did manage to get her to let me take some pictures. then as we were hungry she suggested a Mexican Burrito :shock: OK Well you've got to have a go, broaden ones horizon. so off we went me in tow, up here down there and finally into a little narrow street and a tiny shop. My first Burrito, :lol: it was awesome loved it, not too hot, trouble is I cant remember what the place was called :oops:

I told Sarah that when I got back home I would post the pics on the forum, so here they are.

Sarah and me Magdalene bridge
Sarah and me Magdalene bridge

Note the non cycling gear :oops: I forgotten my shoe's and Sarah had said No Shorts :roll:

Magdalene Tower
Magdalene Tower

Radcliffe Square
Radcliffe Square

Bridge of sighs
Bridge of sighs

Just a few pics I was quite amazed at how easy it was cycling round there, there seemed to be a different attitude to cyclists by the drivers. :D definitely worth a re visit.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Si

Re: an evenings ride around Oxford

Post by Si »

Yep, very much a different world, for those of us from the more industrialised big cities, isn't it.

Although first time I cycle in York it terrified me...cyclists coming at me from all directions at once without much apparent regard for the niceties of the law etc. Yet if one goes with the flow (in so far as one can bring oneself to do so....I didn't jump any reds) it did all seem to work OK.
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

Often used to ride from Swindon to Oxford will be doing my first London to Oxford this bank holiday weekend. Anyway great post thanks for sharing :)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its only a 20 mile ride up there for me. I'm often up there for lunch. A very pleasant city for cyclists but strangely poor cycle paths to the south.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

A great evening without a doubt, but a question, if you look at the picture of Radcliffe Square in particular the railings you can see that small woollen objects are festooned around the spikes. Does anybody know what the origin of this is?
Si

Post by Si »

Dunno - but I hope that owner of the black bike to the right notices what's been pinched before he sits down.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Si wrote:Dunno - but I hope that owner of the black bike to the right notices what's been pinched before he sits down.

As the late Frankie Howard would say " Oooh er missus" :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You're not a uni-pannierist are you? :shock:
:wink:

Glad you had a good time there. I rode up to Bedford to Daughter 2 some years ago and stayed the night in Oxford both ways. I stayed at a backpackers hostel. Not the most salubrious place I'd ever stayed, but the city was lovely.

I plan on cycling to Bedford again this autumn but I'll miss out Oxford and go round to the west. Although the city is a nice cycling city, the roads in and out aren't good IME.
Mick F. Cornwall
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

Just a slight pedantic point Oxford Brookes (or Oxford B) as some call it is at the top of Headington Hill. Harcourt Hill is the other side of the city.

I did my degree there forty years ago,it was Oxford Poly. then
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

anniesboy wrote:Just a slight pedantic point Oxford Brookes (or Oxford B) as some call it is at the top of Headington Hill. Harcourt Hill is the other side of the city.

I did my degree there forty years ago,it was Oxford Poly. then

:oops: I sent a link to the thread to Sarah, funnily enough she said the same thing. Ooooops :oops: Harcourt is the teacher training campus.

Mick, not normally a singular panniarist, just somewhere to carry the camera etc, :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ferrit worrier wrote:Mick, not normally a singular panniarist, just somewhere to carry the camera etc, :wink:
That's sort of an excuse, but it may not get you past the Pannier Police if they're on a purge. :wink:

Just to remind people ...................
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10054
Mick F. Cornwall
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

ferrit worrier wrote:A great evening without a doubt, but a question, if you look at the picture of Radcliffe Square in particular the railings you can see that small woollen objects are festooned around the spikes. Does anybody know what the origin of this is?

It's called yarnbombing. Quite a big thing hereabouts (northwest Oxfordshire) - I've not seen it in Oxford before, so either there are Oxford yarnbombers or some of ours have gone to the city for the day. Our new cycle stands in Charlbury lasted about a week before being bombed...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

ferrit worrier wrote: then as we were hungry she suggested a Mexican Burrito :shock: OK Well you've got to have a go, broaden ones horizon. so off we went me in tow, up here down there and finally into a little narrow street and a tiny shop. My first Burrito, :lol: it was awesome loved it, not too hot, trouble is I cant remember what the place was called :oops:

That'd be Mission Burrito. Excellent filling food for cyclists. It's part of a (very small) chain.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

AndyK wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote: then as we were hungry she suggested a Mexican Burrito :shock: OK Well you've got to have a go, broaden ones horizon. so off we went me in tow, up here down there and finally into a little narrow street and a tiny shop. My first Burrito, :lol: it was awesome loved it, not too hot, trouble is I cant remember what the place was called :oops:

That'd be Mission Burrito. Excellent filling food for cyclists. It's part of a (very small) chain.

That's it! Well worth a visit :D :D :D
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
ferrit worrier wrote:A great evening without a doubt, but a question, if you look at the picture of Radcliffe Square in particular the railings you can see that small woollen objects are festooned around the spikes. Does anybody know what the origin of this is?

It's called yarnbombing. Quite a big thing hereabouts (northwest Oxfordshire) - I've not seen it in Oxford before, so either there are Oxford yarnbombers or some of ours have gone to the city for the day. Our new cycle stands in Charlbury lasted about a week before being bombed...

Sort of non destructive graffiti, although someone has to clear it all away at some point. It extended quite a way round the railings.

Radcliffe Square.JPG