Bus Driver Road Rage

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Bus Driver Road Rage

Postby Mick F » 25 Aug 2013, 7:05am

Gearoidmuar wrote:Act like a big car in such circumstance. I've never got ANY aggro for doing it. The chaps behind know what you're doing and get out of the way when it's safe.
Ditto, but it's very important to be confident in what you're doing, and get a move on.

If you pussy-foot about and go too slowly, all you'll do is aggravate the vehicles behind.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 25 Aug 2013, 8:54am

Mark1978 wrote:There are some terrible bus drivers - of which these are good examples.

Problem is if you complain to the bus company, like I did with Go North East - they will just claim the driver left plenty of room. The company giving them cover to drive dangerously means the drivers feel at will to do so.

Which is why I always have a two tier approach.

1. The initial complaint
2. Respond to the "left plenty of room" with a follow up including video and asking why the driver is lying to the managers

Most managers hate being made to look stupid and having to retract their previous reply

HebdenBiker

Postby HebdenBiker » 25 Aug 2013, 6:52pm

I wouldn't have made that much of this incident. Yes the pass was close and the bus driver shouldn't have done it, but all that the head-shaking and arm-waving by the OP achieved was a load of abuse from the driver, then a futile argument with an idiot.

Ugly to watch.

Coffee

Postby Coffee » 25 Aug 2013, 9:42pm

jochta wrote:
boblo wrote:Trouble is, the cyclist does come over as a bit of a militant wally. Is it the case of have camera will find trouble to record? Not excusing the ignorance of the driver and his stooge but the cyclist just inflames the situation and who carries a copy of the HC unless he's looking for aggro?

I thought that too TBH. No one carries a HC unless they are expecting confrontation??

I can understand why you would though, I did think about it myself after having several drivers just make up rules or quote rules according to the daily mail or wikipedia. It's not that they tell you you're are wrong in conversation at the next lights say, no they try to run you off the road or intimidate you then make up some rubbish about being pedal slapping distance from the kerb or riding on the path by the road....that may or may not be a cycle path, because they THINK it's in the Highway code.
Rule 63

Cycle Lanes. These are marked by a white VAN (which may be broken) along the carriageway (see Rule 140). Keep within the lane when practicable, watch out for Anna Meares elbows.

snibgo

Postby snibgo » 25 Aug 2013, 10:03pm

From the video, I had the impression the cyclist didn't have a copy of the full HC, but just the picture of car overtaking a cyclist.

But even that seems a weird thing to do.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Aug 2013, 10:34pm

I've been trying to imagine what sort of on-road confrontation would lend itself to resolution by the production of copy of the Highway Code. :?

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 25 Aug 2013, 11:03pm

When I taught Bikeability, I often carried a copy of the HC. But I never used it in anger. I can't say that I have ever gotten into an argument with drivers. I've been yelled at plenty of times, and mostly ignored it. I have confronted drivers occasionally, but I don't argue with them. I'd rather not anger someone who is driving around in a lethal weapon. :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Aug 2013, 8:02pm

Adam S wrote:Agreed.
Time and again we see these videos. What's the point of chasing someone down? Has any good ever come of it? Either report it, or shake your head and move on, or post about it on a cycle forum ;) but don't make a public spectacle that only serves to antagonise.

nez dans le guidon wrote:I agree, what's the point in chasing someone down? Mind you, I've leant my bike against the front of a bus and told the driver off for occupying the advanced cycle stop zone. It's on a hill and particularly useful. He treated me as if I was imaginary. It was rather funny. But by and large filming your cycling does seem to lead to self righteous outrage, and mrs Nez will witness I don't need any encouragement in that direction (stop talking to the telly when the news is on).

Agree with both the above.

Anyone who's actually observed my cycling will appreciate that I've little chance of chasing down a motorist :oops: - but I 'got my chance' a few weeks ago when the offender got caught at a level crossing. What did I get out of it? The driver had previously hooted at me aggressively, and I calmly asked him, through his open window, not to do it again. What I got was a furious stream of invective, the driver was about to go literally purple with rage. Mildly bowdlerised, what he yelled was something like: "listen mate, just **** off will you, **** off, get the **** out of here mate, just **** off....." Witnessed by other motorists waiting in the queue. Not very helpful to anyone. I backed away, having achieved nothing.

Some people are like that. Indeed: I can be like that, if I'm having a 'short fuse' day and someone rubs me the wrong way... :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 26 Aug 2013, 8:16pm

On the topic of bus drivers and crews 'making up the rules as they go along' (which the staff in the video appear to be doing, though I didn't watch it right through to the end) - I have a delightful little anecdote of my own, nothing to do with cycling I'm afraid.

Many years ago, when we still had bus conductors (do they still exist any more? :( ), I boarded a bus at the bus station. Amongst the other passengers was a wino, very much the worse for wear; the bus set out and when the conductor got to him he muttered something like "gisha-nay-udresh". The conductor was forthright, "sorry mate, no name-and-address, if you've not got the fare you don't ride". The drunk argued a bit more, so the conductor called to the driver "turn about, we're taking this one back to the station". And that's what happened. As luck would have it, as the driver was manoeuvring his bus into the station, he rammed another stationary bus. No serious damage, but more delays whilst inspectors came to check over both buses, and the drunk was duly put off the bus.

When the conductor finally got round to taking my fare, I remonstrated: "why take that guy back to the station, couldn't you have just put him off at the next stop?" Conductor replied, "no, sonny, rules are rules, if you haven't got the fare you have to be taken back to where you got on". I was somewhat annoyed, already running late and by now running very late, but I felt it was useless to argue further (helmet-cam cyclist on 'tube, take note!).

Do bus companies have rules like that, or did they ever? Probably of no consequence in these days of 'pay-the-driver-as-you-get-on' buses.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

nez

Postby nez » 26 Aug 2013, 11:15pm

thirdcrank wrote:I've been trying to imagine what sort of on-road confrontation would lend itself to resolution by the production of copy of the Highway Code. :?

That's easy
'haven't you ever read the Highway Code mate?' '
Produces book from bag, 'Good point, I'll do it now.'
A conversation often witnessed in Barking, Romford and Basildon.

David6708

Postby David6708 » 3 Sep 2013, 4:55am

It would certainly appear that the cyclist was looking for confrontation with cameras and air horn. Whilst poor driving frustrates me, one thing I find more annoying is the number of people looking to arguewith people at work.

When I used to work in a uniformed, customer facing role, driving a corporate liveried vehicle I was always especially careful of my words and actions. People will argue or antagonize you over petty things (like parking outside their house), just seeking to get a reaction so they can complain.

I'm willing to bet the cyclist in the video would not have chased down a private individual and confronted them in that manner, nor a person travelling in a plain/unmarked commercial vehicle. There is enough conflict on the road, without provoking more. Whilst the video evidence may show a clean overtake of the bus, it would still be damn annoying - but the bus driver didn't rag his horn and swear did he?

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 3 Sep 2013, 8:55am

Indeed, this whole sorry episode serves to put cyclists in a bad light. As for the initial close pass by the bus - well I had several passes equally close on my way in to work this morning: I could have done without them but I didn't make a song and dance about them (seeing as I don't carry an airzound, I can't really).

As I said I stopped watching the video at the point where the inspector (if that's who he was) joined in, at the bus station. Lost interest.

And I didn't care for the fast-forward sections of the video, either. Why couldn't he have just cut or faded from one scene to the next? The speeded-up action may be just a gimmick, but it portrays the speed-obsessed macho mindset which I prefer to avoid.

dalifnei

Postby dalifnei » 8 Sep 2013, 3:33am

Has anyone seen the russian dash cam video of a rider (m/c) who gets cut up and pulls out an ANGLE GRINDER and cuts off the wing mirror? Maybe a but extreme though! But more effective than a copy of the highway code.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 8 Sep 2013, 9:13am

You mean this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6MyGaGxtXA

Overtaking at a pinch point, tut tut.

patpalloon

Postby patpalloon » 11 Sep 2013, 7:21pm

I can't believe the cyclist in this video. First of all, when the bus and a car behind are stopped at a red light, he goes up the outside over the zig-zags and then cuts back in in front of the bus. The lights had just changed at this point, but if someone had still been crossing in front of the bus, there's no way he would have seen them. Any sensible cyclist would have just waited behind the car behind the bus until the traffic started to move again.

And towards the end of the video he clearly jumps a red light.
I feel sure that the genius that did this, didn't even feel a thud as he drove by.