Wot, no lights!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Michael R

Wot, no lights!!!

Postby Michael R » 5 Sep 2013, 7:39pm

Last night we drove home at dusk. Almost every car had lights on yet almost all the cyclists we saw on the A-road between Fleetwood and Garstang had no lights.

Considerable folly

P.S. I have two lights back and front so as not to be caught out with a dead battery.

Vantage

Re: Wot, no lights!!!

Postby Vantage » 5 Sep 2013, 8:23pm

My front light died on me 7 miles from home last night. Getting home through Boltons traffic without getting squished due to not being seen was nerve wracking. So when one chap carrying a crate of beer through the town centre shouted "Lights!" I promptly swore at him.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 5 Sep 2013, 8:31pm

Michael R wrote:Last night we drove home at dusk. Almost every car had lights on yet almost all the cyclists we saw on the A-road between Fleetwood and Garstang had no lights. (My emphasis)

It's becoming a tradition to make this point in a thread like this so bags I foggy, as we used to say when I was a lad.

fossala

Postby fossala » 5 Sep 2013, 9:12pm

I don't think there's any reason to not have "be seen" lights now, they only cost a few quid and weigh nothing

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Sep 2013, 9:17pm

Any reason?

I have modern lightweight LED lights .............. but I don't like clutter.
Therefore I don't have lights on my bike unless they are needed.
Mick F. Cornwall

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 5 Sep 2013, 9:17pm

Just a point but dusk is not the same as lights on time which is clearly indicated by the street lights that come on, I can clearly see everything on the road at dusk, I don't need vehicles to have lights on at that time, in fact side lights should only be on on a motor vehicle in built up areas in any case, street lights are increasing in brightness so it's easy to see traffic of any kind no matter how they are lit up (the newer whiter ones over the old sodiums for instance)

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 5 Sep 2013, 9:19pm

Irishbill it wasn't you riding thru Horwich in direction of Bolton at about 20.30 was it? Noticed a rider with frankly quite a poor back light and no front light at around that time. It contrasted quite sharply with the rather ragged bunch of mixed MTB-ers the previous evening all lit up like Xmas Trees, with one rider his front light on the road ahead was so bright I could it see as I approached from behind!

But then again when did cyclists without lights cause a 130 car pile up, inappropriately lit cars seem to cause rather more havoc. I say it every year at this time of year; there are often unlit cyclists on our roads, with a corresponding number of letters/comments to local press complaining... why is it that these unlit cyclists are so visible to the general public, while cyclists that are lit up like Xmas Trees are apparently invisible.... :?:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

meic

Postby meic » 5 Sep 2013, 9:22pm

I turn my lights on when my GPS informs me that it is officially dark, ie sundown.
At this point a great number of cars will still drive past me without lights, I dont have any difficulty seeing them as it is still quite light at that point. I just like to follow the letter of the law, some twenty minutes or more later I may start to turn on some of my more serious lights.
Yma o Hyd

Michael R

Postby Michael R » 5 Sep 2013, 9:31pm

I put mine on early as I have a correct judgement of many motorists :wink:

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 5 Sep 2013, 9:40pm

eileithyia wrote:Irishbill it wasn't you riding thru Horwich in direction of Bolton at about 20.30 was it?

Not guilty your honour :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 5 Sep 2013, 9:44pm

IrishBill76 wrote:
eileithyia wrote:Irishbill it wasn't you riding thru Horwich in direction of Bolton at about 20.30 was it?

Not guilty your honour :)

Someone else who also did not have a front light then.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 5 Sep 2013, 10:35pm

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Any reason?

I have modern lightweight LED lights .............. but I don't like clutter.
Therefore I don't have lights on my bike unless they are needed.

The point is you dont know when you need them next.
Thats why I always take mine on EVERY trip.
It might just be foggy :wink:
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 5 Sep 2013, 10:48pm

I've two on the rear and one of them is always lit for when going through shaded areas, tunnels etc. When I judge the weather to be overcast enough, the front is lit up. As the batteries are all rechargeables, it costs nothing and may just be enough to save my derriere.
Bill

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 6 Sep 2013, 1:18am

7 miles without a supermarket (or anywhere else) selling cheapo lights? A few quid is better than fearing for your 'derriere' surely? Bolton's not exactly the middle of nowhere... :arrow: :idea: = :D

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 6 Sep 2013, 8:18am

Any reason?

Yes - when riding along you tend to forget that the motorist is peering myopically through a grease/insect/dust (inside as well as out) covered windscreen that they've not cleaned in months. What appears to us as simply fading light appears to them as nearly dark. Last night for example. I left home at 8 pm. I knew very well that with the nights drawing in I would have to put lights on within about 15 minutes but 8pm was just the gloaming. Nevertheless, I put my lights on straight away.