Wot, no lights!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
dalifnei

Re: Wot, no lights!!!

Postby dalifnei » 9 Sep 2013, 11:35pm

I always have my lights on, even during the day.

Front lights - show you up passing stationary traffic amidst all the clutter, to oncoming traffic turning across your path

Rear helmet light - a reminder to big vehicles when you are stopped at the lights, in case they forget you are there!

mjr

Postby mjr » 10 Sep 2013, 10:16am

dalifnei wrote:I always have my lights on, even during the day.

Isn't that a waste of energy and encouraging people not to look properly? In other words, the same drawbacks as Daytime Running Lights on cars.

After all, drivers are meant to be able to see an unlit pole that's fallen across the road...
Last edited by mjr on 10 Sep 2013, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 10 Sep 2013, 10:23am

mjr wrote:
dalifnei wrote:I always have my lights on, even during the day.

Isn't that a waste of battery and encouraging people not to look properly? In other words, the same drawbacks as Daytime Running Lights on cars.

After all, drivers are meant to be able to see an unlit pole that's fallen across the road...

What are batteries?

My lights are always on nowadays - although my backup light isn't (that does use batteries, I must confess).

The problem is that DLRs are training drivers that only "lit" things are important - and frankly it's easier than having a switch ;)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 10 Sep 2013, 11:22am

Not if your batteries are rechargeable and it's the few eejits who don't look properly where this advice works out well for cyclists.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 10 Sep 2013, 11:45am

Hi,
I am seriously thinking of putting my micky mouse front and rear reflectors back on my bikes, just so there is no catch in any accident to argue.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

mjr

Postby mjr » 10 Sep 2013, 1:01pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:What are batteries?

I've edited my earlier message to correct the mistake. That energy to power the lights is still coming from somewhere, even if it's a solar cell or hub dynamo...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 10 Sep 2013, 1:32pm

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:What are batteries?

I've edited my earlier message to correct the mistake. That energy to power the lights is still coming from somewhere, even if it's a solar cell or hub dynamo...

From a hub dynamo it is a ridiculously small amount of effort - I could probably make more energy saving by *not* carrying my "backup" light
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 10 Sep 2013, 2:23pm

Daytime running lights are considerably brighter than most lights in order to 'compete', most good models will dim them or turn them off when the headlights are on.

Similarly lights on a bike during the day can be pointless, as you can't see they are on unless you are right next to them. However there are some situations such as at dawn or dusk when it's light in most places yet if you go through trees it can be quite dark indeed, so it's worth running a light in those situations.

I've been used to getting up to do a ride at 6.30am, but the light is such now I'm going to have to put my headlight back on.

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 11 Sep 2013, 9:01pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I am seriously thinking of putting my micky mouse front and rear reflectors back on my bikes, just so there is no catch in any accident to argue.

YOu only need the rear one at night, and youu don't need that if your light has a bs standard reflector built in.
NUKe

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Sep 2013, 9:16pm

Hi,
NUKe wrote:

YOu only need the rear one at night, and youu don't need that if your light has a bs standard reflector built in.

OK, alot of the older cheaper ones do, the side lights I hang of my rucksack do, good point.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..

Adam S

Postby Adam S » 11 Sep 2013, 10:29pm

NUKe wrote:

OK, alot of the older cheaper ones do, the side lights I hang of my rucksack do, good point.

If you're wanting to be 100% compliant, it needs to be attached to your bike (rather than rucksack) in a suitable place. Also, I hope your pedal reflectors are clearly visible from behind. Good luck with large panniers, many clipless pedals, recumbent bicycles etc...

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 11 Sep 2013, 10:54pm

Hi,
Adam S wrote:If you're wanting to be 100% compliant, it needs to be attached to your bike (rather than rucksack) in a suitable place. Also, I hope your pedal reflectors are clearly visible from behind. Good luck with large panniers, many clipless pedals, recumbent bicycles etc...

I am a glutten for over the top :)
Rucksac lights are extra to the others, side light to help with poor sighted car drivers, I hope.
Steady lights back and front, extra rear light on back of rucksack, Powerful head light on my head :) Pedal reflectors check :!:
If I am really needing lights not to fail then its spare batts for my headlight, all night riding.
Fitted reflectors back and front, belt and braces. I always ride with my lights fitted, I might end up anywhere anytime.
How to mount them yes my bike has started to look like one of those cartoon over the top sarcastic quibs directed and wierd funny behavour of a politician etc, :? ..............:lol:
P.S. Pannier is mandatory.

Postboxer

Postby Postboxer » 12 Sep 2013, 9:32am

Not a single pannier??? :shock:

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 12 Sep 2013, 1:43pm

Hi,
Postboxer wrote:Not a single pannier??? :shock:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss........................................ :?: