Wot, no lights!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Re: Wot, no lights!!!

Post by squeaker »

eileithyia wrote:But then again when did cyclists without lights cause a 130 car pile up, inappropriately lit cars seem to cause rather more havoc.
Going OT a bit, most involved seemed to be using 'no lights' as a pathetic excuse for driving too fast / too close for the available visibility :evil:
"42"
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Emergency lights from Aldi/Lidl.
About £3. Put them in a pocket or pack just in case.
IMG_2513 (Large).JPG

Constant or flashing modes.
IMG_2512 (Large).JPG
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

But how does the battery fit in? :?
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mrjemm wrote:7 miles without a supermarket (or anywhere else) selling cheapo lights? A few quid is better than fearing for your 'derriere' surely? Bolton's not exactly the middle of nowhere... :arrow: :idea: = :D

Didn't have my lock with me.
Most things in life I could lose and still be ok, but not the bike. If some chavy little scrote (theres loads in Bolton) stole my bike my world would come to an end. I do mean that literally.
:)
anyhoo, replacement light is on its way courtesy of the manufacturer and backup lights are currently being looked at. Personally I wouldn't trust one of those dinky little 2pence sized joke lights to shine among a sea of blazing car headlights.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Aha. I know what you mean about the lock. Cycled into town recently without a lock; ended up buying one out of laziness to go 5 miles home. Good job on the replacement.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

IrishBill76 wrote: Personally I wouldn't trust one of those dinky little 2pence sized joke lights to shine among a sea of blazing car headlights.

If you have chance to try those "dinky joke" lights I think you will be surprised at their performance. Obviously not meant to replace "proper" lights but bright enough for emergency back up.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Fully admitting to shooting myself in the foot, I've ordered one of these as a backup... :?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-profes ... ght-front/

We'll see.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

cycleruk wrote:Emergency lights from Aldi/Lidl.
About £3. Put them in a pocket or pack just in case.
That is a great idea.

I said I hate clutter, but I could stow those lights in my saddle bag along with all the other "emergency" stuff.
Excellent idea.
Thanks.
Mick F. Cornwall
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I thought light were supposed to between the hours designated as 'lighting up' time which is before and after sunset and sunrise. As for not using lights because it is not 'dark' this is a stupid an argument as any. Lighted is required to be used whenever light conditions mean that visibility becomes an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting-up_time

As for continuing to ride if your lights pack up then again this is just plain arrogance and stupidity. If your lights pack up then either find an alternative source of lighting or push your bike.
Adam S

Post by Adam S »

freeflow wrote:I thought light were supposed to between the hours designated as 'lighting up' time which is before and after sunset and sunrise. As for not using lights because it is not 'dark' this is a stupid an argument as any. Lighted is required to be used whenever light conditions mean that visibility becomes an issue.

I agree that it's wise to carry lights and light up in low-light conditions. However, cyclists (unlike motorists) are not legally required to have lights either fitted or lit except at night. There is no requirement to use them in low visibility (however wise it may be).
Edit: Link to CJ's article: http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... egulations
Last edited by Adam S on 6 Sep 2013, 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Push your bike is easy said depending on how far you are from home, these days I am more than likely to have 3-4 different lights front and back as back up lights, but back in the good ole 70's n 80's bike lights were poor, expensive and unreliable, walking best of 5 miles down country roads at 10pm after shift when you are on 7am start again next day is no fun when your light packs up.... you make the most of what you have at the time and ride more defensively/cautiously at junctions etc., I know cos I have had to do it ...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

MOdern dynamo and LED lights mean you are never without and never need to remeber to recharge/change batteries.
NUKe

Post by Vantage »

Not sure where arrogance comes into it, but I will grudgingly agree that continuing to cycle after dark with a blown light and no backup isn't the wisest of decisions. However, as eileithyia pointed out, if you don't ride like a raving lunatic and take extra care at points where traffic may cross your path, there's no reason why you can't get to your destination in one piece. And although more of an issue in colder weather, I personally have noticed that cycle specific clothing is completely useless off the bike. I stay much warmer cycling than walking in it and over a 5 or so mile distance, is fairly important imo.
Bill

mark a.

Post by mark a. »

We've all got used to not needing bike lights over the summer, so I can see why it's possible to get caught out. Either by not carrying lights with you or finding out too late that rechargeable batteries aren't working or whatever.

It's also the time of year when you'll start to see hundreds of cars with only one functioning headlight.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Reminds me of an early (wet) morning start I had a couple of winters ago, when I was riding (a mobike) up the'M6 when I realised my rear light light had failed. That unnerved me badly with all the juggernauts blazing by before I could exit. Lightly held the rear brake on to get that light every time I was aware of anything behind me.