Cycle lock prize winner

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
horizon

Cycle lock prize winner

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
iviehoff

Re: Cycle lock prize winner

Post by iviehoff »

Clearly the judges do not understand the usual requirements of a bike lock. A bike lock needs to facilitate the attachment of the bicycle to a piece of street furniture in a way that is resistant against the tools commonly carried by thieves. This one attaches the bike to the street furniture with a cable extension. Most cables can be snipped, and those that can't be are usually even heavier than a D-lock. I have seen bikes stolen where a person has used the D-lock to immobilise his bike and attached it to the street furniture with a cable extension. The thief snips the cable and loads the bike into his van to crack the D-lock at his leisure.
BSRU

Post by BSRU »

Just seems to stop somebody riding off on it but not anyone wheeling it away or loading it into a van.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

A zip tie is more secure than that...
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, a zip tie.

It was a good immobiliser, though the bike could just be picked up and carried away.
Mick F. Cornwall
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Chain off chainrings, disconnect both brakes is usually ok (and occasionally hilarious) if you can see the bike from within the shop.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Frankly a proper dutch frame lock does the same...

Hence why I have two on my upwrong?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

The ideal situation would be either bike lockers everywhere, or bike stands with built in sturdy locks, so you don't have to carry the weight with you. That or the death penalty.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Something like this better perhaps;

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/10/int ... er-cycles/

OK, a very fancy and probably very expensive bike, but a nice idea that combines a d-lock direct to frame and steerer lock in one. I guess a traditional vandal would just use the frame's leverage to destroy it though.

I wonder if the Dutch expectation of bikes being stolen in Amsterdam is the reason they use wheel locks; altruistically letting the bike go rather than be damaged... Remember Space 1999? My version of that was the gap in the railing against the canal that year, when my GT Timberline was released into the wild on my 1st foray into cycling in Europe.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:The ideal situation would be either bike lockers everywhere, or bike stands with built in sturdy locks, so you don't have to carry the weight with you. That or the death penalty.

No, the ideal situation would be a society which respects people's belongings.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Or just respects other people.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mrjemm wrote:Or just respects other people.

Yes, that of course would include their possessions
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

But never going to happen. Not in my lifetime anyway.
Jughead

Post by Jughead »

How did that win? It's a bike that can be carried away. So what if its immobilised.

Am I missing something?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You'd be missing your bike I you relied on that! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall